older folks, older riders

dirtdobber

Gone But Never Forgotten
Jul 8, 2011
sand mountain, AL
I have been riding for over 50 years now, thank Father.

Being 13 years old when I got my first bike, Triumph tiger cub.

This was in 1963, During this time no mater how old or young you were we were labeled. Period. No matter how you looked.

Through these years I have seen a lot of advancements not only with motorcycles but people.

In the mid 70's personal freedom really came into play. More and more folks started riding and we were not as much a out cast.

Every few years I would noticed that the bikers were still hung, up to a point, labeled.

By then the metric bikes were a big part of of the motorcycle industry. HD, Triumph, BSA etc... were considered a dream.

Now to my point:

Through these years bikers has helped bikers. That is what we do. We didn't care what you rode, that was left up to 1% and some die hard's.

Example: We were heading home from a trip. Weather was getting bad so we left in a hurry and I did not check the tires.

Opps.

We ran into rain again but with no hard winds. Stopped for fuel and check my tires. My gauge was missing. Another Opps.

I go into the store and they don't sell me. I told my wife we will stop to get one real soon. Well this older chap comes up to me asking a lot of questions then said you have a tire that looks low. I said yea but no gauge. He looks at me walks away and hands me one. I get finished and hand it back all he said was I don't need it, but you do. Take it with you.

Then he said we are in this together. Shinny side up.

I will not pass a biker with their helmet is on the ground, if I have to I turn around. Hint, if you are not having problem leave your helmet on your SEAT. not the Ground. Some of us are old skool. We just can't shake it. I don't want to.

I have turned down or ended a ride to help someone. I have hauled bikes and fixed bikes, gave strangers a bed to have a good night sleep. I have lost money helping some but I won't let that get in my way helping someone. I have a 7x17 enclosed trailer, it is used mainly to rescue some one in need.

We may look rough, and sometimes smell like it to, We sometimes say too much when we really didn't have to.

Back in the old days if someone got picked on or getting a hard time any biker would not hesitate to get involved. That is the old skool way.

I have gotten older and wiser and learned to have better control of my facilities.

I love my Harley's, they are the bike that got me this far, and enjoy my Honda's. I am not brand loyal.

Us older fellows and gals will help us older fellows and Gals.

Do you really lend a hand to help someone when they really need it or do you ride by looking.

Crap I miss the old days.

Well said sir, today's typical "Boutique" biker has no idea. The guy that broke me in taught me that we don't leave anyone behind. Many times we have stopped and gotten someone going with something we had in our saddlebags or at least took them into town to buy a part and stayed to help them put it on.

One year , coming from Rolling Thunder over Memorial Day in winchester Va, he got a flat tire. We found an Indy who actualy was at his brothers BBQ. He came and got my frinds bike 20 miles, installed a tube because he didn't have the right size tire and reinstalled everything. Cost...Just give me $12..That's what the tube cost. we payeed the $12 plus a $100 tip and away we went. We exchanged phones and addresses with the understanding that if he or is friends were down or way that we would take care of them. And we have. Just bikers caring for bikers

ThumbUpThumbUpThumbUp

I haven't been in the saddle quite as long... Only 47 years now but my Dad brought me up the same way as yours did you. Never have left a rider behind or passed one in need. DD we seem to have identical philosophies on this matter.

Ride Safe My Friend !! :xszpv::xszpv:

Been there ,done that, still do, Been riding sense 1956.My little bride and I have been together 58 years and our baby son is 50 years young. He and his wife still put up with us old folks on trips. We are blessed. However we went to the Goldwings in 1958 and never looked back. No regrets. Hope to see some of you guys in Kerrville Tx in April. You don't have to stay out of trouble, just be sure and don't get caught. Ride safe & be happy.:pepper:

When I got my 1st bike it was back in 1981. After work one morning I stopped at the local 7 / 11 to get a Pepsi and Motorcycle mag to read. Wife was at work , kids in school. So off to our local park to sit in the morning Sun and kick back and read and have a cool drink. On the way there I noticed that my bag of stuff tied to the little luggage rack was leaning over to one side. So I pulled over to the side to re adjust it. I was off the bike for a min at most. When two Harley riders pulled up behind me and started walking up :AGGHH:. I said to myself WTF who are these guys. :cxtv:. 1st guy walks up to me and asks Is everything OK ?

I said yeah just fixing this bag. He said just checking to see if you needed a hand. I said nope got it all right now. I told them Thanks for stopping by. They said No problem just remember to return the favor to someone in need. That one phase has stuck with me for over 35 yrs. Doesn't matter if I'm in a car , truck or on my scoot. I stop even if I have to make a U turn. ALWAYS HELP A BROTHER OUT !

I had a short on my memorial bike in the wiring. Blown fuses. Replaced it and the wiring started to melt. Turned it off and rolled it down hill to get it out of the way of traffic. There some ladies outside, I asked em to keep a eye on my bike so I could get my trailer.

When we got back a older fellow was standing by it whittling.

When I got out of the truck all he said this is important must be protected. So i just stayed with it. You bikers are good folks and

help a lot of people.

So some do understand.

I can remember when didn't make much working and had to get basket cases and get it going. I rode a Ducati 350 scrambler for a lot of years. I bought parts from shops and it was in boxes when I got it. I didn't care I was riding.

The main point I am trying to do with my thread is to get some of the riders to remember what it is like to be broke down.

Some times we forget where we came from.

I started on a 1956 AJS 500 single.I rode it one month and it seized up. Spent the next 3 years trying to put it back together,never did get it running. But I moved on to a Norton,Triumph, BSA, BMW, my own dealership etc etc. I learned early you never leave someone. It was much easier to get those old bikes going then it is today.We rewired some kids panhead chopper at 2 am in a campground in Logan Canyon back in 1970. Went for my 1st group ride with the GWRRA in 86( Me on a Yamaha Venture). Guy and his wife break down.He hadn't checked his battery in a long time and the + connection had corroded away,but I found a pull top and managed to crimp the wire to the battery. It held to get him home.

We learned early in those days to fix our own and to help anyone you saw on the side of the road.Bike or car. Never pass another without the wave.

I don't we old timers forget,but I think we sometimes get tired of carrying on traditions that no one else seems to care about.

I still will stop if you are on the side of the road. I did the other day for a guy. All I could do was lend him my cellphone so he could call a tow truck.Times have changed.

Damn, some of you guys are old! Well, maybe that "might" include me, been riding motorcycles for 45yrs, but only 1yr on a trike....so I am still a "youngster", trike wise! Now I feel younger, even if I am an old fart!
Kinda with you there Juice. Bunch of old guys hanging around here. I started riding around the ranch on an old Hummer my grandpaw put together for us kids. I was 7 when I first started riding and turned 70 on the clock this past year, so 63yrs in the saddle. And those saddles were a various favors but mostly Harley's. Have hit all 48 on 2. Now to do it on 3. Free on 3....

8~\o

I am really enjoying reading all the posts. I enjoy reading about yesteryear riding.
One of my favorite things to do is sit around after a all day ride sipping your favorite beverage, mine is coke, talking out our adventures from the past.
I will tell one of my stories at a camp fire and all the younger folks are all ears.
Back in the day I can remember not working so I would take off with all the money I had and when I ran out I would get a job for a while so I could go on. I was single, no worries just having a good time.
I might stay a few days or a month just depending on what was happening.
I have slept in gas stations that I worked at or some fleezy hotel, what ever it took. Not too much to worry about back then. Jobs were easy to find back then to.
We didn't care what the bike looked like, we were happy because we had a bike to ride. Nothing else mattered.
Do I miss the old days, you bet I do. Life was so simple back then.
When I take a trip it's about getting there not where I am going or why. I take my time so I can enjoy God's world. I will take 4 days just to get to OK. which I can do in a day easy using the interstate.
That is not me.
:D:pepper::pepper:

DAMN It Man :AGGHH:
Is THAT what happens to ya when you get Old ? :censored:
Nice Hat though ThumbUp

just sayin' Howdy my Brother... :D

Only 40 years (and counting hopefully) here. See if I can't dig up an old Pic tonight.

cowboy-billy%20the%20kid.jpg

Well that's my preferred helmet, said I was old skool didn't I?
It's good to talk to yas! drop around the dark side sometimes you can always find me there.

June 1974.... Greatest Day of my entire 10 year old Life. A new Honda XR75.

I had sat on that very same Bike in my little Town's Honda Shop at least once a week for a few months developing a mad compulsion for this Machine. Then came the day the Owner said I couldn't sit on that Bike anymore,,, it, MY Bike, had been sold. I honestly believe that was the first time I had really experienced & felt both Love and Heart-Break. True devastation.

The following Saturday my Old Man pulled up in his Van (a banana yellow Dodge Tradesman with no rear seats, deep-pile green shag carpet throughout, and only rear side Bubble Windows past the doors. Yes-Groovy Man).
He told me to get his stuff out of the back and thinking nothing I opened those rear doors and There It Was. Like a damned Disney Movie or some crap but true none the less.

May God (and my Wife & Kids) please forgive me but I think that truly may have been the very best day of my Life.
40 years later and the friggin things still make me feel like I did that very first day.
Pray that never ends.

20150224_183602.jpg

I hadn't seen this Pic in a long Long LONG time till tonight....
I remember crying that day when I opened those doors to find it there.
I remember fighting back the tears when I froze up and used the Oak tree as a brake on the inaugural 1st Run.
I remember the Joys & the Pains.
Each & All so amazing.
More than a Machine - Truly an awesome Blessing.

June 1974.... Greatest Day of my entire 10 year old Life. A new Honda XR75.

I had sat on that very same Bike in my little Town's Honda Shop at least once a week for a few months developing a mad compulsion for this Machine. Then came the day the Owner said I couldn't sit on that Bike anymore,,, it, MY Bike, had been sold. I honestly believe that was the first time I had really experienced & felt both Love and Heart-Break. True devastation.

The following Saturday my Old Man pulled up in his Van (a banana yellow Dodge Tradesman with no rear seats, deep-pile green shag carpet throughout, and only rear side Bubble Windows past the doors. Yes-Groovy Man).
He told me to get his stuff out of the back and thinking nothing I opened those rear doors and There It Was. Like a damned Disney Movie or some crap but true none the less.

May God (and my Wife & Kids) please forgive me but I think that truly may have been the very best day of my Life.
40 years later and the friggin things still make me feel like I did that very first day.
Pray that never ends.

View attachment 25518

I hadn't seen this Pic in a long Long LONG time till tonight....
I remember crying that day when I opened those doors to find it there.
I remember fighting back the tears when I froze up and used the Oak tree as a brake on the inaugural 1st Run.
I remember the Joys & the Pains.
Each & All so amazing.
More than a Machine - Truly an awesome Blessing.

Great story and picture my friend, sometimes it's good to remember!ThumbUp

Started ride at age 16 in 1958 on a small Honda. Moved up from there over the years with bigger cc bikes and then a Suzuki Super Bike. Rode that for a while and then bought a used Honda Goldwing for touring. Liked it so much that I sold the Suzuki.
Then bought a new 1500, which was very good to me as I never had a problem with it.
In 2006, bought my 06 Goldwing Champion Trike as a retirement present to myself.
Still riding it and I'll be 73 in May.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png