older folks, older riders

Old guys rule,,,God bless😇😇

:Angel::Angel::Angel:😇
I have been riding for over 50 years now, thank Father.
Being 13 years old when I got my first bike, Triumph tiger cub.
This was in 1963, During this time no mater how old or young you were we were labeled. Period. No matter how you looked.
Through these years I have seen a lot of advancements not only with motorcycles but people.
In the mid 70's personal freedom really came into play. More and more folks started riding and we were not as much a out cast.
Every few years I would noticed that the bikers were still hung, up to a point, labeled.
By then the metric bikes were a big part of of the motorcycle industry. HD, Triumph, BSA etc... were considered a dream.
Now to my point:
Through these years bikers has helped bikers. That is what we do. We didn't care what you rode, that was left up to 1% and some die hard's.
Example: We were heading home from a trip. Weather was getting bad so we left in a hurry and I did not check the tires. Opps.
We ran into rain again but with no hard winds. Stopped for fuel and check my tires. My gauge was missing. Another Opps.
I go into the store and they don't sell me. I told my wife we will stop to get one real soon. Well this older chap comes up to me asking a lot of questions then said you have a tire that looks low. I said yea but no gauge. He looks at me walks away and hands me one. I get finished and hand it back all he said was I don't need it, but you do. Take it with you. Then he said we are in this together. Shinny side up.

I will not pass a biker with their helmet is on the ground, if I have to I turn around. Hint, if you are not having problem leave your helmet on your SEAT. not the Ground. Some of us are old skool. We just can't shake it. I don't want to.
I have turned down or ended a ride to help someone. I have hauled bikes and fixed bikes, gave strangers a bed to have a good night sleep. I have lost money helping some but I won't let that get in my way helping someone. I have a 7x17 enclosed trailer, it is used mainly to rescue some one in need.

We may look rough, and sometimes smell like it to, We sometimes say too much when we really didn't have to. Back in the old days if someone got picked on or getting a hard time any biker would not hesitate to get involved. That is the old skool way.
I have gotten older and wiser and learned to have better control of my facilities.
I love my Harley's, they are the bike that got me this far, and enjoy my Honda's. I am not brand loyal.
Us older fellows and gals will help us older fellows and Gals.
Do you really lend a hand to help someone when they really need it or do you ride by looking.
Crap I miss the old days.

- - - Updated - - -

:Angel::Angel::Angel:😇
This was in 1963, During this time no mater how old or young you were we were labeled. Period. No matter how you looked.
Through these years I have seen a lot of advancements not only with motorcycles but people.
In the mid 70's personal freedom really came into play. More and more folks started riding and we were not as much a out cast.
Every few years I would noticed that the bikers were still hung, up to a point, labeled.
By then the metric bikes were a big part of of the motorcycle industry. HD, Triumph, BSA etc... were considered a dream.
Now to my point:
Through these years bikers has helped bikers. That is what we do. We didn't care what you rode, that was left up to 1% and some die hard's.
Example: We were heading home from a trip. Weather was getting bad so we left in a hurry and I did not check the tires. Opps.
We ran into rain again but with no hard winds. Stopped for fuel and check my tires. My gauge was missing. Another Opps.
I go into the store and they don't sell me. I told my wife we will stop to get one real soon. Well this older chap comes up to me asking a lot of questions then said you have a tire that looks low. I said yea but no gauge. He looks at me walks away and hands me one. I get finished and hand it back all he said was I don't need it, but you do. Take it with you. Then he said we are in this together. Shinny side up.

I will not pass a biker with their helmet is on the ground, if I have to I turn around. Hint, if you are not having problem leave your helmet on your SEAT. not the Ground. Some of us are old skool. We just can't shake it. I don't want to.
I have turned down or ended a ride to help someone. I have hauled bikes and fixed bikes, gave strangers a bed to have a good night sleep. I have lost money helping some but I won't let that get in my way helping someone. I have a 7x17 enclosed trailer, it is used mainly to rescue some one in need.

We may look rough, and sometimes smell like it to, We sometimes say too much when we really didn't have to. Back in the old days if someone got picked on or getting a hard time any biker would not hesitate to get involved. That is the old skool way.
I have gotten older and wiser and learned to have better control of my facilities.
I love my Harley's, they are the bike that got me this far, and enjoy my Honda's. I am not brand loyal.
Do you really lend a hand to help someone when they really need it or do you ride by looking.

Older guys

Hell, I did these things even when driving a car in the remote regions of Colorado. first bike was in 1966. Been thru many variations of bikes but always stop to help a fellow biker. Reinforce by 4 years in the Marine Corps.. Semper Fi.... Never leave a buddy behind. Your not human if you do.

I was US regular army and we felt the same. Back in the early 80s, we lived in Maryland suburb of DC (worked for Fed) and the wife and my three kiddos jumped in our new to us Mercury Zeypher to go visit the mother-in-laws in Ohio. On the PA turnpike, we could hardly make it up hills as the engine was probably a 4 banger under 1000cc due to gas prices and the transmission was a 4 speed where 3rd and 4th seemed to be overdrive. Up hills on the truck lanes at 30 mph.

Anyway, the Zeypher like to die for no reason and then mysteriously start. Since it was freezing cold out and we were dead on the side of the road, I kept trying to start the car as the kiddos were cold and ran the battery down. A truck pulled up ahead of us and this tall skinny guy got out. He had an Abe Lincoln hat on and black clothes. My wife and I and the kids were scared.

Turned out he was a chimney sweep... I had never seen one so didn't know this is traditional dress. He got the Zeypher running and when I tried to pay him, he made me promise I would never drive past a person who needed help, even if I was in a hurry. That still sticks with me.

Thank You

Just oust read your comments. 74 years old and just started riding a year ago. I have found a fraternity among riders. Wonder why I didn't start earlier but I'm glad I started. Jack

Now to my point:

dockside

anybody out there remember a Cushman Eagle , two
speed 5HP ? My first ride was in 1959,on a 1957 Eagle
beefed up piston and valve job with hi lift cam.Had more fun on that bike than some other later model's. I guess
I'm really telling my age !

It only stands to reason that DirtDobber's ideas stand the test of time!
He's riding high above us right now...

Never knew the man, read many of his wisdom, as far as the way he had to go would even "piss off the Easter Bunney " RIP fellow rider. 😇

Youngster here, 41ish years riding. 2.5 horse Briggs counts right. Something about a bike on the side of the road that makes me think "if that was me broke down". Always have to see if I can help out. Kind of like waving at other bikes, gotta do it.

I never new Dirtdobber but I think that he would smile knowing this thread continued on.

Back