Tired ! Really Tired !

Reaction score
First 10 hour trip with the Trike. Lots of twisties, and turns. I got home exhausted. Ive done the same trip on my two wheeler - no problem. I am thinking - "pushing" the trike arounds turns, it just plain more effort, and exhausting. Any one else notice this. Or am I just getting older.

First 10 hour trip with the Trike. Lots of twisties, and turns. I got home exhausted. Ive done the same trip on my two wheeler - no problem. I am thinking - "pushing" the trike arounds turns, it just plain more effort, and exhausting. Any one else notice this. Or am I just getting older.

Yes, I'd say it takes a bit more effort to ride a trike in the twisties but it's sooooooo much better then setting at home wishing you could still ride at all.

Several years ago I had that choice. I do not regret for a minute going to three wheels!:xszpv::xszpv:

I haven't noticed being any more tired than on my HD Ultra. The CSC kit has a long wheelbase and independent suspension... I don't know if this makes any difference. I do know my buddies with HD Tri-Glides complain of the "pushing thing". I'd like to ride one of those sometime just see the difference.

I have noticed one thing. My Ultra seemed harder on my lower back problem. My Trike seems to bother me more right in the center of my spine in between my shoulder blades.... maybe that is due to "pushing".

Does your trike have a rake kit. I see it's a Motor Trike and many of those were sold without a rake kit.

th
Does your trike have a rake kit. I see it's a Motor Trike and many of those were sold without a rake kit.

Good point about the rake.

There really shouldn't be any fatigue from steering a trike through the twisties. I've done it many times with no aches or pains at all.

th

Good point about the rake.

There really shouldn't be any fatigue from steering a trike through the twisties. I've done it many times with no aches or pains at all.

You ride 200 miles through the Arkansas twisties on a trike and your arms will be tired. But gawd it's fun!

I don't know what ''pushing'' though the turns mean? I have a T/G with a lift, Maybe Apple's to Oranges 'but I just steer it though turns..:Shrug: Could be you're trying to drive like you would with a two wheeler? You have to follow through the whole turn gradually you can't just drop it into the turns/corners ..

You ride 200 miles through the Arkansas twisties on a trike and your arms will be tired. But gawd it's fun!

I agree Mike. Even with the rake kit and handlebar risers a day of hard twisties will ware you out. Yes, you can slow down and take it easy. I've done that and it is easier on the arms and shoulders but NOT NEAR AS MUCH FUN!!! :xszpv::xszpv:

I agree with having a rake kit.
I have one on my Champion and have no trouble with twisties.
We have ridden the Dragon and other twistie roads.
Going to be 73 next month!!

I don't know how much experience you have with trikes my friend?

It's true you are using different muscles than you used to!
Steering is an exercise in push pull, perhaps pay attention to what your doing next time you ride?

(suggestion)

It is much easier to lock the elbow you are pushing with and use your shoulder a bit more plus your upper body mass.

Hug the tank with one leg.

learn to shift your butt a little on the seat so as to more firmly plant your foot on the peg.

Look through the corner to where your headed instead of looking at the road closer to your trike, you may be overcompensating when you don't have too?
In effect you may be fighting your trike through the turn?

Of course their are turns that defy that logic when they are really tight?

Slow down a bit until you become used to using the muscles you don't

normally use on a two wheeler, They will get stronger with use.

For an absolute certainty the rake kit makes all the difference in the world.

Its like driving a pickup from the 1940's compared to todays power steering.
I well remember the suicide knob on the wheel and younger generations wont have clue what I'm talking about?:Shrug:

pcombe said:
I well remember the suicide knob on the wheel and younger generations wont have clue what I'm talking about?:Shrug:
Still use one on my tractor. That ought to say volumes.ThumbUp

Agree with pcomb, you have to learn how to ride it. His solution is how I ride mine. A lot less effort to lock your elbow and glide thru the curve.
Now saying that I am having Neck and shoulder problems. Have a hard time turning my head to the right and and constant pain from neck to right shoulder. Very much wanted to ride to Maggie Valley this year, but don't know if I'll be able
to.
Had MRI yesterday, just see how things go. Can't ride very long at all.

If your doing a long haul on a bike or trike, especially 10 hours..You better be in half decent shape to do so. One of the reasons I work out is for the long haul on my trike.. Lots of stretching, resistance bands to focus on shoulders/arms. Body core exercises..Handlebar risers, rake all a big help. For sure more muscle needed with a trike, push and pull, compared to the bike where your primarily leaning on those twisties. Ride Safe, Have Fun

Do you have the one with the picture of a Half Necklet Girl in the center.?? :)

I love that one!

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with pcomb, you have to learn how to ride it. His solution is how I ride mine. A lot less effort to lock your elbow and glide thru the curve.
Now saying that I am having Neck and shoulder problems. Have a hard time turning my head to the right and and constant pain from neck to right shoulder. Very much wanted to ride to Maggie Valley this year, but don't know if I'll be able
to.
Had MRI yesterday, just see how things go. Can't ride very long at all.

I have some of the same problems and have questioned seating and reach factors?
On a long haul I use one of the head pillows that attach to the headrest for cars with an elastic strap and put it on my trikes backrest.
It does make difference for me, When I do a long run I always work up to it.

I have some arthritis or something in my right shoulder and once in a while I have to get a shot-o-cortisone.:Meds:

Getting old aint for sissys!:AGGHH:

smiles-biker for life.jpg

I love that one!

- - - Updated - - -

I have some of the same problems and have questioned seating and reach factors?
On a long haul I use one of the head pillows that attach to the headrest for cars with an elastic strap and put it on my trikes backrest.
It does make difference for me, When I do a long run I always work up to it.

I have some arthritis or something in my right shoulder and once in a while I have to get a shot-o-cortisone.:Meds:

Getting old aint for sissys!:AGGHH:

View attachment 26527
Thanks for the advice pcombe, very much appreciated

Its like driving a pickup from the 1940's compared to todays power steering.
My 06 Roadsmith has a rake kit on it and my 2001 Super Duty has a suicide knob on it. Both drive like a happy dream.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png