What is the best way to lock my trailer up

Boscoporp

TOI - North Carolina
Jul 28, 2009
Mooresville NC
I have a 1940 Ford trailer that I pull behind my Trike. I am going to Trike Talk Rally in Maggie Valley. I want to pull my trailer up there but I haven't decided how do I take the trailer off of Trike when I get there and lock it up so that no one steals it. I have seen chains but that seems like a lot of weight and that is expensive. I have seen people lock a cable around a telephone pole. Sure takes a lot of cable. How do you do it??

I have a Gorilla tongue lock and a big master "U" shaped lock that is big enough to go through the axle and then the spokes of my wheel. Nothing is full proof but it would slow someone down and maybe they will go elsewhere.

Boscoporp, you can bring it to the RV park and leave it while your in the area. We might be able to put it in my Toy hauler if you get worried about theft. Normally, RV parks are pretty safe.:yes:

Just for grins and giggles...

This is what I use

I also use DT-25013 lock and it works nicely . I also use the same lock on my trike trailer, and on my camper trailer with my truck. It fits both just fine. You can also use a hardened steel chain and a padlock around the wheels if you need even more security but a coupler lock is a must.

I have a 1940 Ford trailer that I pull behind my Trike. I am going to Trike Talk Rally in Maggie Valley. I want to pull my trailer up there but I haven't decided how do I take the trailer off of Trike when I get there and lock it up so that no one steals it. I have seen chains but that seems like a lot of weight and that is expensive. I have seen people lock a cable around a telephone pole. Sure takes a lot of cable. How do you do it??

Love that trailer. Where did you get the car????

This is what I do with my light fiberglass/plastic/composite trailer......

I myself drilled a hole in the tongue of my trailer (watching all wires) and installed a cast eye hook (one that the eye is totally closed) and then had a buddy tack weld the nut to the bolt after I tightened it to tongue (then I put some paint on the weld so it doesn't rust).

I use 2 padlocks and galvanized chain (welded link), I then padlock the chain to the eye bolt and then take the other end of the chain and wrap it around a tree, pole light, porch post, telephone pole or whatever object is available.

That way you cut down on the length of chain you need.

BTW I store my chain, padlocks and a pair of gloves in a plastic container with a lid that I picked up at a discount store, that way it doesn't get against anything your hauling in your trailer.

I feel that you are only keeping an honest person honest.

If a thief really wants something they are going to get it.

As far as a coupler lock they are ok if the trailer weighs enough that 2 people can't lift it up and put it in the back of a pick up truck or if it is to heavy they just roll it onto a trailer and away they go (then they cut off the coupler lock or just replace the whole coupler (coupler is usually only bolted to the tongue by 2 bolts).

Thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to use a cable system around the frame on the trailer. I realize that it will only keep honest people honest but the insurance will cover the rest! Another good idea would be to hang an emty pistol holster on the trailer to make sure they understand my position!

HAha

Stan

Thanks for all the ideas. I have decided to use a cable system around the frame on the trailer. I realize that it will only keep honest people honest but the insurance will cover the rest! Another good idea would be to hang an emty pistol holster on the trailer to make sure they understand my position!

HAha

Stan

If someone wanted it the only thing the empty pistol holster would do is give that person a free holster as well as your trailor.

HAha

Stan

You say Insurance will cover the rest.
I hope you have a seperate rider policy to cover your loss of your trailer.....because your regular insurance just covers damages you may do with your trike/trailer.

I use the DT25013 on my enclosed race car trailer. On the bike and trailer we have a covered cable that will go through the bike wheels and trailer wheel, or if the trailer is detached it can go around a tree or whatever is available.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png