vtx 1800 wth Champion convertion

meredog

Mar 22, 2010
Nashville Mi
After picking up my new (07) trike a couple days ago--i realized there is a large nut and bolt exposed on the side just in front of the passeners foot peg.
I called the dealer and asked if there wasn't supposed to be a cover panel or ? to cover it. Was told the oem cover that was there would not fit over this nut and bolt ( part of the Champion trike convertion) adding Champion provides nothing for this
Surely there is something a person can use here ?

mail.jpg

I had that thought---problem is the threads on the bolt are not coming thru the cover the nut is going back into the bolt

Silicone a .50 piece over it. Let it dry overnight and walla.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Not sure about the silicone ? Dealer said they were siliconing somthing over them for the first few they triked but said the silicone would not hold for long ? Is there a certain type silicone to use ?

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Not sure about the silicone ? Dealer said they were siliconing somthing over them for the first few they triked but said the silicone would not hold for long ? Is there a certain type silicone to use ?

I have had excellent success with this silicone. I got it from my shop. Not sure where to buy it.
Dow Corning 732

Try using the GM black silicone available at any GM dealership. It's some tennatious stuff -- much more so than the Dow Corning or Locktite versions. Used to use it to seal up all kinds of joints on heavy equipment. Did a Funk transmission once & though I'd never get back appart for it's next rebuild. You might have to tape it into position while the silicone sets up.

NM

Where did you get your fairing ? Done anything with your xhaust ?

It's a Hoppe fairing. Made for the VTX. There are others..............a lot less expensive. Woody's Fairings........he designed Hoppe's. There is also a Xtreme Revolution fairings also.

motorcycle fairings for VTX, Valkyrie, Road King & Heritage Softail

Hoppe Industries - Fairings Accessories for Harley Davidson Honda Suzuki Yamaha Kawasaki Triumph Cruiser Touring Motorcycles

As for the exhaust I put the Stockers back on. Had the Cobra Slip-Ons on but having to ride a gear lower.....to much noise. IMO

It's a Hoppe fairing. Made for the VTX. There are others..............a lot less expensive. Woody's Fairings........he designed Hoppe's. There is also a Xtreme Revolution fairings also.

motorcycle fairings for VTX, Valkyrie, Road King & Heritage Softail

Hoppe Industries - Fairings Accessories for Harley Davidson Honda Suzuki Yamaha Kawasaki Triumph Cruiser Touring Motorcycles

As for the exhaust I put the Stockers back on. Had the Cobra Slip-Ons on but having to ride a gear lower.....to much noise. IMO

got to get some knowledge on the install applications opposed to trike mounts. Mine has the Champion front rake on it

I jeep reading at these supplier sites about having to remove chrome "sleeve" on some units so th clamps will fit ?
Post some pics of the front end and I'll let you know.
On some of the VTX's there were chrome sleeves over the forks between the top and bottom triple tree. Not a hard procedure to remove if you have them. Pull top TT and slide off sleeve. If yours are chrome then you have sleeves. The other alternative is the Memphis Fairing or the Xtreme Revelotion. The Memphis is a shell and has no radio or a place to mount one. The Xtreme is a fairing you can mount a radio and speakers but mounts to a Memphis shield quick disconnect. I know nothing about the Kury fairings so can't help there.

Direct Line Parts - Honda VTX1800 Retro and VTX1800 Neo Fairing

Memphis Shades Part Number: MEM-23300023 - Direct Line Parts

Xtreme Revolution - Xtreme Revolution VTX UltraFairing

I didn't answer your ? about the pipes...........sorry.
I thought they were to loud for normal riding. Finding myself in a lower gear to keep up the revs it made the pipes seem louder. To much police involvement in "noise" lately. But everyone who heard them said they sounded really good.
May put them on again later once I get more familiar with the ride.
Cobras
TheBuild012.jpg

Appreciate all your input. Been speaking with the gentleman from Woodys and he has said that with a trike and the inherent front end wooble , he says will be more pronounced with a fairing that he doesn't feel the memphis windsheild brakets are enough to hold it securley and recomends a system that mounts directly to forks.

Ah, another parts peddler who doesn't know as much as he thinks he does! If your front end is set up right, it won't wobble. Hey, Joe, can you adjust the fall away on Hondas like we can on Harleys? I haven't seen anyone mention this yet concerning the front end set up on Hondas. Fall away is how many times the front end will swing back & forth when released from all the way to one side with front wheel off the ground. As a bike, touring HDs call for 3 swings. The setting for trikes is 1/2 swing. That puts a pretty heavy preload on the neck bearings that helps stabalize the front end. On HD Ultras, the faring is all on the fork & mine is solid as a rock at 110mph. As a bike it WASN'T. Another solution is dampeners on the front end, but having a fork mounted faring works just fine when things are right. Oh -- front tires can affect wobble too. I'd lost a ballance weight & got a little wobble that went away when I got it rebalanced.

NM

It appears apparent that you are certainly more knowledgeable about this stuff than I. I may not have explained what he was saying correctly.
I understood him to say that the best way to mount is directly to the forks as you have done .We had previously discussed one of the fairings that would enable mounting to the Memphis windshield mounting hardware that is presently on the trike and he was indicating the direct fork mount was his preference.
The other part about the wobble was he thought with the aerodynamics being mounted to the front end that the front end would be more effected by wind pressure than it is without fairing
This trike is equipped with a 6 degree Champion front end adapter.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png