HD mistake fix - Seat Mod For undersized seat bolt & loose seat tab on Freewheeler

Mar 5, 2015
Bakersfield California USA
HD mistake fix - Seat Mod For undersized seat bolt & loose seat tab on Freewheeler

Harley uses the same seat tab on the Freewheeler seats as the rest of there Harleys . This is a mistake on the Freewheeler as the 1/4 X 20 seat bolt is under sized in the seat tab. This is because there in no centering insert like like the one that's molded into the two wheeled bikes threaded fender insert. This causes the seat tab to have a bit of play side to side and back in fourth (makes it hard to get seat bolt in same place every time).

The quick fix is a the 1/4 washer that comes on the handle bar control housing bolt. It is the perfect size to fit in the seat tab hole and make it the rite size which is a 1/4 inch. This centers everything up.

If you put the washer on your seat bolt and go slow the washer will press right into place and stay, perfect pressed fit. ( I had extras control housing bolts because I changed the control housing bolts to chrome )

Also new Harley Sundowner seat installed with washer mod.

Ride Safe All, :)
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 200
Good idea for those that have that problem. Mine fits like all my other HD's do. Very simple and quick, fits perfect with plenty of threads to keep it on.

Good idea for those that have that problem. Mine fits like all my other HD's do. Very simple and quick, fits perfect with plenty of threads to keep it on.

The threads are not the problem and my seat fits like a glove too. The issue is the hole in the seat tab should be 1/4" to match the diameter of the seat bolt which is 1/4". That is why I pressed the perfect sized washer that came off the control housing bolt in the hole to take up the gap.

Look at the pic and you will see the washer pressed into the oversized hole in the seat tab. Now the seat tab is 1/4" in diameter just like the 1/4 X 20 seat bolt.

Ya the seat will tighten down ok but it's not right and will be off a little one way or the other. That is why I did what I did in the explanation and pic's above.

I bet if you check your Freewheelers seat you will see that the seat tabs hole is over sized and a lot bigger in diameter than the 1/4 X 20 bolt that holds the seat on.

Every Freewheeler I have seen has this issue and when I point it out to the Dealers they are surprised.

Even a few locals that own the Freewheeler Trikes have been surprised when I point this little issue out to them.

Harley messed up on this on the Freewheeler. I am just glad it was an easy fix for me to get it right.

I don't know about the Tri Glide and wonder if it's the same way or not.

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 190
Bill the tab coming off the seat has a large hole because it goes around the blind nut that goes thru the fender of a 2 wheeler. On a 2 wheeler the tab goes over that nut and has a screw with a large star washer to hold the bracket down. When you put that seat on your free the blind nut is not there so as you have just adapt.

Bill the tab coming off the seat has a large hole because it goes around the blind nut that goes thru the fender of a 2 wheeler. On a 2 wheeler the tab goes over that nut and has a screw with a large star washer to hold the bracket down. When you put that seat on your free the blind nut is not there so as you have just adapt.[/QUOT

Yes a little adaption was needed... I don't care for the way Harley did the seat tab set up on the Freewheeler. The seat tab should have been drilled 1/4" to match the 1/4" threaded seat attachment bolt. ( No play at all this way)

With my simple mod as listed all is fine and good now. The Seat fits perfect, there is no side to side or back and fourth play in the tab now. Everything bolts down in the exact same place every time now.

Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I checked mine. I don't see a problem. It gets plenty tight and does not wobble in the screw set.
I got plenty of stainless pan head screws with star washers that will fit it.
It is a good idea to check it just in case. If it don't get tight it will fall out.
Can't count how many I have lost just because I did not use a lock washer of some type.

I checked mine. I don't see a problem. It gets plenty tight and does not wobble in the screw set.
I got plenty of stainless pan head screws with star washers that will fit it.
It is a good idea to check it just in case. If it don't get tight it will fall out.
Can't count how many I have lost just because I did not use a lock washer of some type.

I think your still missing my point here.

My seat tightened down tight and did not rock with the bolt tight from the get go, this was never an issue. The issue and problem for me again is the hole in the seat touge is over sized and bigger around than the seat bolt that goes through it. I did not like this at all so the mod I did made the over sized seat touge hole the correct size for the 1/4" bolt that tightens down the seat to the frame. Every single Freewheeler that I have seen has been this way. About 15 of them so far and counting.

I still bet you a dollar to a donut the hole in your seat touge is oversized and bigger around than the 1/4" seat bolt.

Even though the seat bolts down tight and works it is not right. Harley needs to correct this, my mod makes it right so the hole in the seat touge matches the seat bolts diameter.

Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 186
If it is a bolt on tongue you can get a replacement. It is in the catalog and online.
I see your point now.
Is yours not seating in the recess, it is suppose to fit over the set screw which is why it is so much larger than the bolt. It sticks out slightly for it to fit over it. Wonder if it isn't the tongue but the set screw. It just snaps in and they will move if there is no screw has been been tightened.
Just guessing here.
That is odd.

If it is a bolt on tongue you can get a replacement. It is in the catalog and online.
I see your point now.
Is yours not seating in the recess, it is suppose to fit over the set screw which is why it is so much larger than the bolt. It sticks out slightly for it to fit over it. Wonder if it isn't the tongue but the set screw. It just snaps in and they will move if there is no screw has been been tightened.
Just guessing here.
That is odd.

My Seat fits perfect into the recess and tightened down with no problems or rocking from the get go.

I just did not like the oversized hole issue in the seat touge compared to the 1/4" seat bolts size as stated.

I did talk to Harley Corp about this issue I and the guy I chatted with looked at the PDF file and micro film on it. Then he said they will look into it and was sending off an e- mail to the engineers as we spoke. Then he said they may have missed something. Then he said if they did miss something it would more than likely be fixed on the 2016 models. He agreed at a glance the seat touge hole should have been a 1/4" in diameter to match the bolt size or a proper fitting washer should have been included to take up the spacing.

The Question is? Will Harley change it and make it right or just live with it because it works and most folks don't notice it or think there is an issue because it works the way it is.

I have not seen the other item you mentioned.

Ride Safe,:)
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 196
After getting over my lazy streak I checked again, but paying attention to the mount female mount screw set. It is fixed not like other HD's are with a snap in set screw. So I did this.

I drilled the hole slightly saller than the screw so it would screw on it and stay. This way when I remove the screw it stays intact. Don't have to keep up wit it that way. It's just a plastic spacer you can get at most hardware stores. I keep em to make saddle bag mounts.
Good catch.
That is weird they missed the boat on that one.

For got, it would not let me edit my post.
There is a good hide away just under the seat mount on the frame. Good stash place for something. Enough room for a tool kit, a rather large one at that.
you just need to protect it from water.

After getting over my lazy streak I checked again, but paying attention to the mount female mount screw set. It is fixed not like other HD's are with a snap in set screw. So I did this.

I drilled the hole slightly saller than the screw so it would screw on it and stay. This way when I remove the screw it stays intact. Don't have to keep up wit it that way. It's just a plastic spacer you can get at most hardware stores. I keep em to make saddle bag mounts.
Good catch.
That is weird they missed the boat on that one.

I Love it... ( plastic nylon washer sized to fit ThumbUp) Pretty much the same outcome as what I did with the little washer mod in my pic,s. Ya Harley missed this little issue for sure. I am glad it's pretty much an easy fix if your willing to think outside the box a little.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 83

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png