Pic Heavy Ride Report - MS to Bella Coola & Back 11,000 Miles Heat, Hail & Bears

:clapping: Your pictures, narrative and videos (to quote Jack Nicholson) make me want to be a better biker. Or at least take some tours of my own. THANK YOU for letting us share in and enjoy your journeys.

Day 25 Continued-

Ok, these next 20 pics and video are the final installment on the ride from Bella Coola back to Nimpo Lake.

Remember, we had put the bear spray in the tour pak at the bottom of the hill.......

Coming around a corner, there was a BIG Grizzly Bear about 60 yards in front of us!

41%20came%20around%20corner_zpsdemv8os8.jpg

I stopped. He turned and looked at us, then continued walking away from us. We watched.

I then remembered where the bear spray was. After moving a little to the side of the road, I put the parking brake on (good thing I had adjusted it, because the hill was pretty steep) and got the bear spray out...never turned off the engine. When I put it back in gear (clunk) the bear turned and looked at us, so I waited a bit longer before moving forward.

42%20Walking%20along_zps5j3hwi5f.jpg

He just kept walking down the road...

43%20Bear_zpszacjm012.jpg

...we did move forward twice to keep him in sight...but we really did not know what we could do, other than wait. He did not seem inclined to leave the road, and no way we we going to try and ride past him. Grizzlies can move extremely fast when they want to.

We remembered what John Edwards had told us-

John just said make yourself big, and if that does not intimidate the bear then yell a bit...that is, only if it is coming toward you, otherwise, just be still...never turn your back, never run, never make any fast movements.

So we waited and watched...

44%20Bear_zpsps74hvv7.jpg

...After a few minutes a truck came by and moved him off the road. We were really excited to see the pics when we got to Nimpo Lake. Mary thought she had taken 20-25 pics of him.

She took 4 pictures. :)

We were already on what is probably the most dangerous road in North America, and then we were right up on a Grizzly. Her adrenaline just shot through the roof.

Fortunately the video camera was going. Here is the video that has some of the highlights of the ride up "The Hill". The bear encounter starts at about the 4 minute mark-

After the bear excitement, we continued on up the road...

45%20up%20the%20hill_zpsq0xuinlh.jpg

...which is exciting and awe-inspiring, in and of itself.

46%20Cloud%20Pic_zpsjzpziqgi.jpg

One last look behind us, thinking about the bear we had just seen.

47%20Looking%20Back%20After%20Bear_zps5mvdmkgb.jpg

What an amazing view...again, pic taken while we were moving...not such a wide section of the road. lol

48%20What%20a%20View_zpsu9hewfev.jpg

At the highest point of the pass.

49%20Heckman%20Pass_zpsfq3ansqx.jpg

Things leveled out a bit. No more cliffs.

50%20Meadow_zps5gaa1p74.jpg

More in next post.

Day 25 continued-

A breath-taking view-

51%20Breathtaking_zpscjf0krqr.jpg

Here we are at the official End of The Hill.

I asked Mary if she wanted to turn around and do it again...she did not, but if it was not so rough, we both would have done it in a hearbeat.

52%20End%20of%20The%20Hill_zpstmk5s7dg.jpg

Another meadow and great cloud pic-

53%20Meadow_zpsyivcaplc.jpg

Here is a pic of a fellow traveler. He was headed toward Bella Coola on 2 wheels, pulling a cargo trailer.

He had the biggest grin on his face that I've ever seen!

He was also the only other motorcycle we've seen since we left Nimpo Lake a few days ago.

54%20Fellow%20Traveler%20Big%20Grin_zpstcygrieu.jpg

Looking back as we left Tweedsmuir Provincial Park.

55%20Looking%20back_zpsdmuruzlm.jpg

We've been getting a few sprinkles, but you can see from the road that we have missed some pretty heavy rain.

56%20Sprinkles_zpsovxqe68u.jpg

Fun road, great views, and no cliffs! :)

57%20No%20Cliffs_zpsqvqkyshg.jpg

Some cattle in and about the road...we are getting close to Anahim Lake.

58%20Getting%20Close%20to%20AnahimLake_zpsgrdyxqpm.jpg

Back on the asphalt! We've ridden TG's many hundreds of miles on dirt and gravel roads, but they really like the asphalt better. :)

59%20Back%20on%20Asphalt_zpsxruftfwz.jpg

Back at Nimpo Lake, our destination for the day.

60%20Back%20at%20Nimpo%20Lake_zpsk2cqjmsb.jpg

The last 60 pictures, are just what I picked out of 874 pics. It was a whopping 100 miles. But it is amazing land.

We arrived at Nimpo Lake at 2:30, so we went out on the lake. I will share some pics from that in the next post in a day or so.

Kevin

Out on Nimpo Lake-

I apologize for the delay in posting.

After we got checked back into the cabin, we rented one of the little boats at the dock below the cabin.

Leaving the dock-

61%20Leaving%20the%20dock_zpsaycqcu0v.jpg

Heading out, Mary is pretty happy...She likes riding, but I think getting out on a boat is a close second.

62%20Heading%20Out_zpsekatwf1b.jpg

Sorta different than a bike, but this one is still a matter of twisting the grip to get to full throttle. lol

63%20Full%20Throttle_zpsp9lhaksf.jpg

This next link, you can click on it to watch a 13 second video of how speedy this was. :)

http://vid1088.photobucket.com/albu...Nimpo Lake 2/64 Full Throttle_zpswx7d6owm.mp4

We got to the other side and drifted a bit. Mary was clicking away!

65%20Mary%20taking%20pics_zpscnnktbyk.jpg

A beavers "bank lodge". Yeah I had to look it up on google to see what a beaver's house is called. :)

66%20Beaver_zpskfnldpra.jpg

Not far from there we tied up to a tree that was overhanging the lakes edge. Had some lunch...

67%20Tied%20up%20for%20Lunch_zpsvksusm22.jpg

...and enjoyed the view. This next pic is a panoramic, might look better if you click on it.

68%20Panoramic%20while%20lunch_zps3cna1drw.jpg

While there are some houses along the shoreline, it is only in a few spots. There are miles and miles of shoreline like this.

69%20Miles%20and%20miles%20of%20shoreline_zpsj313wt6x.jpg

More in next post.

Nimpo Lake continued.

Mary taking a pic....

72%20Trading%20Pics_zpsja5rljr9.jpg

...of me taking a pic of her.

73%20Trading%20Pics_zps6kucvzls.jpg

She is really happy out on the water.

74%20Enjoyed%20Time%20out%20on%20boat_zpsj1qxoilt.jpg

This is a large lake, we followed less than half the shoreline. Here we are cutting across, heading back to the cabin. This panoramic is not capturing 1/10th of the lake.

76%20PanoramicLake_zpsq9dem3an.jpg

Putting along. Those snow/glacier covered mountains in the background probably have something to do with the water being so cold. :)

77%20Different%20than%20riding%20a%20bike_zpsp2y2dw53.jpg

Almost back at the cabin.

79%20Almost%20back%20to%20the%20Cabin_zpsj7muxgtg.jpg

Back at the dock.

80%20Back%20at%20The%20Dock_zpsrtkkf6ww.jpg

Today was a "red-letter" day. Fantastic, crazy, fun road, grizzly bear, and on a boat out on the lake....an early birthday present for Mary.

Tomorrow is her birthday, and we'll be on the road to Cache Creek.

Kevin

Happy birthday Mary, I've enjoyed the post you guys are doing and the bear on the road was great. I thought it was great seeing black bear in Yellowstone but a big grizzly, well I might of had to change my pants.:AGGHH: Have a safe trip and enjoy your day.

Very nice enjoyed the video and all the stories Thank you. Stay well and please keep

:clapping:Very nice enjoyed the Video and all the pic and stories Thank you stay well and please keep posting..

Happy Birthday Mary!!! Couldn't ask for a better birthday gift!!

Happy birthday Mary, I've enjoyed the post you guys are doing and the bear on the road was great. I thought it was great seeing black bear in Yellowstone but a big grizzly, well I might of had to change my pants.:AGGHH: Have a safe trip and enjoy your day.

:clapping:Very nice enjoyed the Video and all the pic and stories Thank you stay well and please keep posting..

Happy Birthday Mary

Mary's not a forum person...but I passed on your wishes, she says thank you!!!

It was definitely a great day of making memories!

Day 26

Today we re-traced our route from Nimpo, thru "no-mans land", back to Williams Lake and then on past 100 Mile House and down into Cache Creek.

Leaving out of Nimpo Lake. BC is just filled with amazing countryside...and today was a great cloud picture taking day for Mary also.

1%20Leaving%20Nimpo%20Lake%20for%20CC_zpsiwnxmsr7.jpg

Back on the road where there is no center line...not really wide enough for one, but it is a fun road for sure!

2%20Fun%20Road_zpsr5tv4g7n.jpg

From our ride out here, there is very little traffic, and we did not see in LEO's, so I'm wanting to get to Cache Creek early for a nice Bday dinner for Mary.

Mary in the mirror.

3%20MaryInMirror70mph_zpsjegbyq68.jpg

The road is a bit wider, but still a ton of fun!

4%20FunRoad_zpsyh1cok00.jpg

I had been hitting it pretty hard all the way up to Lee's Corner...but I always slow down before topping a hill, never know if there is something in the road on the other side.

Well, this wasn't right on the other side of the hilltop, but I did see the first Police Checkpoint in all our travels in Canada...right about 1/2 mile down the road. Right at Lee's Corner.

They were stopping everybody, checking license, registration, insurance. We got to talking with the Officer that stopped us. He rides, and hopes some day to tour the USA.

5%20Road%20Block_zpshd4gyui9.jpg

Long Sweeping Switchback=More Fun! :)

6%20Nice%20Sweeper%20Switchback_zpswp7qoiua.jpg

Great pic Mary took of the sky, mountains, river, bridge....we are getting close to Williams Lake.

7%20Almost%20to%20Williams%20Lake_zps7d6p1d0c.jpg

Passed this Log Cabin Building Plant in Williams Lake.

8%20Log%20Cabin%20Builder%20Williams%20Lake_zpsggqxx8dv.jpg

More in next post.

Day 26 continued.

We stopped for lunch at a rest area in 108 Mile Ranch. The picnic area was right at the Historical Heritage Site.

9Lunch108MileRanchHeritageSite_zpsrx3qbdbk.jpg

Soon after getting past 100 Mile House we saw the fastest speed limit sign yet in Canada. 110 km...66 mph.

10%20Fastest%20Speed%20Limit_zpsfqmmugid.jpg

It did not last long, reckon it was there just because there was a long 4 lane, straight stretch for a while.

11%20Cause%20of%20Long%20Straight%20Road_zpsekpe7rvl.jpg

I know I've said it a bunch of times....

15%20Big%20Country_zpszmfeyniu.jpg

...British Columbia is an amazing place...big country!

16%20Big%20Country_zpspy2p2kiy.jpg

Up until now, we've been in areas that are a bit cooler, and lots of trees and water...

17%20Before%20dropping%20down%20into%20CC_zpsf5dibul4.jpg

...but now, as we drop down toward Cache Creek, there is a pretty radical change in a short period of time....

18%20Starting%20to%20turn%20desert_zpswzhyubfe.jpg

...It gets significantly warmer, much drier, less vegetation, and very dusty.

19%20Almost%20to%20CC_zpsxg39eijo.jpg

The camera battery wore out 10 minutes before getting into Cache Creek, but we have been this way before (a couple of years ago), it is where you can take a turn off and get to the "Sea to Sky Highway".

This is where we stayed in Cache Creek. Bear Claw Lodge. Air Conditioned room and a nice restaurant for Mary's bday dinner.

20%20Bear%20Claw%20Lodge%20Bday%20Dinner_zpsnbg08pw5.jpg

Tomorrow we're headed to the border town of Grand Forks, CN!

Day 27-

Another fantastic day of riding in Beautiful British Columbia, Canada!!!

Today Mary took a bit over 600 pics, I have the first 20 picked out and will conclude with another 20 tomorrow.

Leaving out of Cache Creek. This is the second time we've stayed in this town, first time at Bear Claw Lodge. I think next time we are in CC we will stay here again.

1%20Leaving%20Bear%20Claw%20Lodge_zps8gyokxxh.jpg

A bit outside of Cache Creek, reminds me of high desert. We have only been in a bit of Alberta, but we've seen a good deal of BC, and this area is quite different than the rest of BC.

2%20Desert%20Like%20outside%20of%20CC_zps6ig0bapk.jpg

But soon we are back where there is an abundance of water and trees. Fun road along Kamloops Lake.

3%20Fun%20Road%20Along%20Kamloops%20Lake_zpsttr6kzno.jpg

We're taking the 97 toward Vernon, after that the 33 thru Beaverdell, all the way to Kettle Valley, then the 3 to Grand Forks. Not the fastest way, but definitely includes a lot of Canadian 2 lane country riding! :)

4%20Were%20taking%20the%2097_zpskn0ywkhf.jpg

Looking back toward Kamloops.

5%20on%2097%20looking%20back%20toward%20Kamloops_zpsk4pghmx3.jpg

Lots of logging in these parts. I don't ride behind, or beside, 18 wheelers any longer than absolutely necessary, these 30 wheelers are even more avoided!

6%20Serious%2030%20wheeler_zpsdxhqkacv.jpg

Beautiful Countryside with....

7%20Beautiful%20Countryside_zps0huhsdls.jpg

...lots of trees and water...

8%20Back%20to%20lots%20of%20water%20and%20trees_zpsmt2snhcs.jpg

...topped off by fun winding roads!

9%20fun%20winding%20roads_zpsv4zmxkf8.jpg

Too soon we are in Vernon, used the GPS to get us to a Subway. Passed this very cool Rat Rust Salvage truck on the way.

10%20Rat%20Rust%20Salvage%20in%20Vernon_zpsweoqnree.jpg

More in next post.

Day 27 continued-

Last night we ate out for Mary's Bday dinner, so we did no shopping. So today is lunch at Subway in Vernon!

11%20Subway%20lunch%20in%20Vernon_zpszqmcdhu6.jpg

Leaving out of Vernon we rode beside the Emerald Green Kalamalka Lake for a while.

12%20Kalamalka%20Lake_zpsr3rro8he.jpg

Almost right away we are in Kelowna. We stopped at the HD Dealership for...

13%20Dealership%20in%20Kelowna_zpsfs11n1ro.jpg

...Gloves!

14%20New%20warm%20weather%20gloves_zpsig30qkco.jpg

Mary discovered these 6 or 7 years ago. They are perfect for her in warm weather, and for her picture taking. Even in cold weather she wears a gauntlet glove on her left hand and one of these along with a wool glove on her right hand for picture taking.

She's tried others, but always goes back to these. I think this is her 3rd pair.

15%20Mary%20in%20Mirror_zpsyychfvte.jpg

Out of Kelowna...

16%20Getting%20out%20in%20the%20country%20%20MiM_zpsvta7ir3r.jpg

...we start getting into some seriously fun roads!

17%20beginning%20of%20some%20amazing%20roads_zpsb8hszhat.jpg

There is little to no traffic...

18%20curve%20after%20curve_zpsr2petssa.jpg

...and curve after curve.

19%20more_zpsnttjblcu.jpg

The TG just eats it up! :)

20%20more_zpsaspuqtbg.jpg

Day 27 to be continued.

Kevin

You look like you are in a mouth breathing stupor at the Subway..!!:laugh: Too many choices? Lights too bright? Jared was there and winked at you? Mary slipped some Vodka into that water bottle? Hope you were ok..! ThumbUp

You look like you are in a mouth breathing stupor at the Subway..!!:laugh: Too many choices? Lights too bright? Jared was there and winked at you? Mary slipped some Vodka into that water bottle? Hope you were ok..! ThumbUp

ROFL

I have no idea what I was thinking/doing. Maybe I was in shock...we saw more people/cars/signal lights in Vernon that we had in all the previous days in Canada combined. lol

Kevin

11%20Subway%20lunch%20in%20Vernon_zpszqmcdhu6.jpg

It's no wonder....He's exhausted from toting that 3 gallon container of water. Look at the size of that sucker!!! ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png