Calling all CPAP users

wiredgeorge

Sep 24, 2012
Mico, TX.
Sleep study said I needed a CPAP machine pronto. After having been a volunteer fireman for many years, wearing a mask doesn't bug me but I wonder what folks do when they travel. How do you drag something that big on an airplane or on your trike? Guess you leave all those clean socks and underwear home? What size do these things come in... the one in the sleep study place was bigger than a shoebox. If you don't use one and have no first hand knowledge... well God bless you for your good health and decision not to give advice which isn't 1st hand hehe

I take my APAP everywhere I go. If no electricity I don't go.

Dang son... I understand you have one you can drag with you but how big is it? I did some google work and saw some that were itty-bitty and about $300 with humidity... I don't think I could take one without humidity. Give me some hints and tips what to look for. I haven't talked with the sleep clinic Doc yet but I am sure they will try to push what is on their shelf. I am not sure my primary care doc is up on this stuff so I want to be well armed when I ask her to write a prescription and want to talk to my insurance as well as they will want to low-ball the purchase too I am also sure of.

I've had my Bipap machine for about 12 years. I'm on my 2nd machine. When I travel I always taked it with me on overnight trips. When flying I goes with my carry on. When traveling with my Goldwing it would fill the majority of the upper trunk. Before we got the trailer we needed to do some real creative packing on the two-wheeled GL1500. Our solution used to be to take our laundry to UPS in the area we were in and ship it home to free up space for our purchases on our trip. We now have a trailer so we no longer have a space problem. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I know having the machine sure improved my quality of life.

I've had my Bipap machine for about 12 years. I'm on my 2nd machine. When I travel I always taked it with me on overnight trips. When flying I goes with my carry on. When traveling with my Goldwing it would fill the majority of the upper trunk. Before we got the trailer we needed to do some real creative packing on the two-wheeled GL1500. Our solution used to be to take our laundry to UPS in the area we were in and ship it home to free up space for our purchases on our trip. We now have a trailer so we no longer have a space problem. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I know having the machine sure improved my quality of life.

I have a tagalong trailer http://www.tagalongtrailers.info/ - I will have to figure out how to make it work with the hitch on the trailer I am buying. It worked great on a Roadsmith receiver as the square metal slid into the square metal (didn't use tounge/ball) on the RS and I just hooked up the lights. My Roadsmith conversion came with an isolater so I will have to look into that when I find time to buy a Champion hitch. Only problem I see is that the plate on the trike may be covered and I will need to move the plate out onto the tagalong which doesn't require a plate of its own.

INOGEN ONE IS WHAT I USE FOR TRAVEL, NO REASON YOU COU CANT PUT A MASK ON IT. I RENT MINE SO IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG IT'S REPLACED NO PROBLEM OVERNIGHT. CHARGES ON 12 VOLT AND HOUSE CURRENT, CHARGES WHILE USEING. BATTERY LASTS 5 HRS. ON #1 SETTING.

For faster service call

1-800-994-7605

Reclaim Your Freedom and Independence

The INOGEN ONE portable oxygen concentrator is designed to provide unparalleled freedom for oxygen therapy users. It’s small, lightweight, clinically proven for stationary and portable use, during the day and at night, and can go virtually anywhere - even on most airlines!

• No more tanks to refill!
  • No more deliveries!
  • No more hassles with travel!

Contact us now, we will work directly with your doctor, Medicare and your Insurance company to make sure the INOGEN ONE is right for you!

10632651_914598268568621_3298347668239844502_n.jpg

I have been using a CPAP machine for about 12 years now. The one I have is about the size of a shoe box which includes the water tank for the humidifier. I take it with me on the trike or in my carry-on on a flight. There are smaller units out there, but they are very expensive. One make is the size of a Coke can ( about $1500) with a battery pak (about $500) the size of a deck of cards. One thing that was stressed to me was always use distilled water in the humidifier. Just got back from a trip and I tried to be cheap and use tap water. Bad idea woke up the next morning with a headache from the trace amount of chlorine in the water. Felt like someone beat me over the head with a baseball bat. My machines are no cost to me. My healthcare provider provides them.

I have been using a CPAP machine for about 12 years now. The one I have is about the size of a shoe box which includes the water tank for the humidifier. I take it with me on the trike or in my carry-on on a flight. There are smaller units out there, but they are very expensive. One make is the size of a Coke can ( about $1500) with a battery pak (about $500) the size of a deck of cards. One thing that was stressed to me was always use distilled water in the humidifier. Just got back from a trip and I tried to be cheap and use tap water. Bad idea woke up the next morning with a headache from the trace amount of chlorine in the water. Felt like someone beat me over the head with a baseball bat. My machines are no cost to me. My healthcare provider provides them.

I keep plenty of distilled water at my shop for use in my ultrasonic cleaner. Problem would come in while traveling and needing to find distilled water in some circumstances. Thanks for the tip!

INOGEN ONE IS WHAT I USE FOR TRAVEL, NO REASON YOU COU CANT PUT A MASK ON IT. I RENT MINE SO IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG IT'S REPLACED NO PROBLEM OVERNIGHT. CHARGES ON 12 VOLT AND HOUSE CURRENT, CHARGES WHILE USEING. BATTERY LASTS 5 HRS. ON #1 SETTING.

For faster service call

1-800-994-7605

Reclaim Your Freedom and Independence

The INOGEN ONE portable oxygen concentrator is designed to provide unparalleled freedom for oxygen therapy users. It’s small, lightweight, clinically proven for stationary and portable use, during the day and at night, and can go virtually anywhere - even on most airlines!

• No more tanks to refill!
  • No more deliveries!
  • No more hassles with travel!

Contact us now, we will work directly with your doctor, Medicare and your Insurance company to make sure the INOGEN ONE is right for you!

View attachment 30508

This Inogen 1 unit has a sensor on it so if I stop breathing it will begin to force air at me to remind me to breath. That handy little carry cart has a pocket on the back. I use it to carry my coffee cup but there is no reason you cant carry a water bottle for a humidifier. The dang thing is quiet too.

As for not finding distilled water for your machine?

It's easy to carry it in a bottled water or quart pop bottle. Strap the thing to your luggage rack or put luggage racks on your fender. This unit draws oxygen out of the air just like a home unit. If you put it in the trunk it may overheat as drawing air cools the motor.

If you have a big enough charging system you can run it off the cigarette lighter and never loose charge while you use it.

If I camp (which I have done) I take along an extension cord and stay in an improved campground with electricity (it also runs off house current). with three battery's I can stay in a wilderness situation ( I have 15 hrs. of battery life) as long as I trade out batteries to recharge them as I ride the next day.

Where there is a will there's a way.

I had to fight my family and doctors to gain back my independence but I did it with surviving my own stubbornness in mind.

I have a bucket list and the people who ran into my trike have cost me this years destinations not to mention fighting insurance company's.

I have rebuilt everything myself and have been waiting on painters to get there spray ( interpitation optional) together, Believe me they will not be included in my will.

I figured they would be done long before I was?

The point of this being, the quicker you get this thing figured out the quicker you make use of the time left to you.

Enjoy life, It has an expiration date.

I have the following:

http://1800cpap.com/used-pr-system-...px?gclid=CK-rgZHArMgCFRAvaQodi5sPYw&kpid=2297

Been using it for a few years. I fill with distilled water and it lasts 3 nights for me. The amount of water used by each person nightly varies though I believe.

It is the size of a shoebox, or a tad wider. I just got my trike, so I plan on finding a corner in the trunk to park it when traveling overnight on the trike. I have a rack I can attach to my hitch as well if I need more space, so I will have plenty of space when needed.

I posted just to show you the brand out there and the cost for my unit.

Hope this post helps.

I have been on a CPAP for over 15 years. The mask never bothered me either.I use a RezMed that is fairly small. Clean water is as close as a bottled water. A fill usually lasts 3 days. My tank does come apart,a recent innovation so I can clean it out if I have to use hard water. My biggest problem is not packing the unit but carrying an extension cord. When I camp I carry about 50ft. I did give up camping for a long time but at 69 have started up again. KOAs usually have power as do many other private camp grounds. Of course primitive camps are out.

Yes it is a PIA but it is worth it IMHO. I do have a travel bag for the unit but if I need to I can break it up into several small pieces and scatter it around the bike so that makes it easier to pack.

I know I would sleep better if I used mine, but I fought long and hard to keep that thing on me, with no luck. I kept shoving it off of me in the middle of the night. then the sound of the machine kept me up. Now I go back to how I used to sleep and have not tried it again.

I keep plenty of distilled water at my shop for use in my ultrasonic cleaner. Problem would come in while traveling and needing to find distilled water in some circumstances. Thanks for the tip!

Check with you supplier but I think you can use Reverse Osmosis water so either Aquafina or Cokes Desanti would work well.

distilled water is sold everywhere anymore,, I usually buy it from walmart as they are everywhere!! a gal. put in small water bottles makes it easy to carry a few, the machines are small enough to carry and most can run off 12 volt dc or 120 volt house current in the usa,,, if you have the need,,, and will to use it-you can easily make it happen. I have for many years no big deal. we use to carry a ups power supply-battery used it when we dry camped ran my machine all nite with hum off-like hum on but like breathing better!!:D
magoo

FYI, an airport TSA agent that was checking my bags saw my cpap and told me that if you have a water bottle with distilled (or not..how would they know) water, mark it MEDICAL with a sharpe pen and tell them it is for your cpap and they will let it through with your carry on, even if its over the liquid oz limit. I would never leave home without my cpap. If any of you have been prescribed one, you should really use it as not doing so can seriously affect your health.

I have been using a CPAP for over ten years now. Mine is made by a company called ResMed also. Comes with a small carry bag that is only about the size of a computer case, little thicker but the same square. Just got off a plane trip last night. Always take it on as carry on. Even took it to Europe a few years ago as well. Found out it runs on 120 and 220 volts. TSA always wants it out just like a laptop and often wipes it down for drug use, but no other problems with travel. Get it, use it, it will add time to your life. In this case, More is always better.
...ron

I've been on a CPAP for almost 20yrs. It's like American Express, never leave home without it! I can always find room for it with the trike, may have to put a plastic trash bag around it and strap it to the top rack, but it always gets there and works. My traveling unit is a Puritan Bennett Sandman Intro HC. It was my home unit until I got a new unit (through insurance), and converted this one to traveling only. Believe me, after you get use to it and then going the first night without it, you WILL find a place for it for future trips! It's no big deal with the airline companies, they are use to them (but you can get a Medical prescription from your doctor for travel use and you will always be good to go).

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png