DK Custom PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics

Kury mud flap

Kevin, I like the LED lighted mud flap. Did you say they will be lights, brake and turn signal LED's?

It looks like the kury mud flap mounting would cover the HD mud flap holes once removed, I hope. DJ

55il

The Kuryakyn mud flaps use the two holes already there from the Harley mudflap. You would only have to drill 1 hole. Kuryakyn has this in the instructions that come with their mud flaps

Kevin, I like the LED lighted mud flap. Did you say they will be lights, brake and turn signal LED's?

It looks like the kury mud flap mounting would cover the HD mud flap holes once removed, I hope. DJ

Yes, they are Run-Brake-Turn. I will be getting some pics & video outside, during day and night this coming week.

As bronxbill noted, these mud flaps use the to HD mud flap holes, making the switch easy.

Great job on those mudflaps - sure hope you can come up with a way
to de-chrome them though......
:Shrug:

De-chroming them is easy. We already pulled out the chrome strips and replaced them with LED's. The top chrome piece is stand-alone metal before installation. So it would be easy to rough it up and paint or powder coat it.

Kevin

Wiring

Yes, they are Run-Brake-Turn. I will be getting some pics & video outside, during day and night this coming week.

As bronxbill noted, these mud flaps use the to HD mud flap holes, making the switch easy.

De-chroming them is easy. We already pulled out the chrome strips and replaced them with LED's. The top chrome piece is stand-alone metal before installation. So it would be easy to rough it up and paint or powder coat it.

Kevin

Kevin,

Is there any problem wiring them in? I know a lot of the things on these newer bikes are run thru the Can-Bus system and didn't know if had a module for that or just paralleled the existing lights/LED's. Looking forward to DK putting them up for sale.

Thanks,

Kevin,

Is there any problem wiring them in? I know a lot of the things on these newer bikes are run thru the Can-Bus system and didn't know if had a module for that or just paralleled the existing lights/LED's. Looking forward to DK putting them up for sale.

Thanks,

That's a CANbus TG it's installed on. Running right off the same wires feeding the fender lights. No problems, no error codes.

Kevin

This morning was a light rain when I left for the shop, but it was sunny and 60* when I headed home.

Great day to test out the Mud-flaps.

Here are a few pics in the morning, before I left.

MudFlaps5_zps3kv2r75v.jpg

MudFlaps7_zpsf5wie5un.jpg

MudFlaps4_zps1fdfpfg2.jpg

I really like how they turned out!

They did their mud-flap thing in the wet gravel and rainy roads.

It definitely felt good knowing those four bright strips of light were doing their thing when braking and signaling when I got in some traffic. Hard to miss.

Here are a couple of shots in the shop parking lot...took these before taking the long twisty route home. :)

MudFlaps9_zpsm39jcb1m.jpg

MudFlaps8_zpspng85ii1.jpg

Only got about 100 miles on them so far...will subject them to some more abuse to make sure they are solid.

When we were visiting Fuzzy last summer he explained to me how much better it was to have an extended & lowered brake pedal.

A month or so ago I installed one on my Softail. Whoa! Added floorboard room was a plus, and it was a HUGE difference in comfort, speed and control in braking.

I just installed an extended and lowered brake arm on the TG last night, so today was the first time riding with it.

Just like on the Softail, it is a big improvement in comfort and makes braking more natural, easier and faster.

Here are a couple of pics.

TwinCooled%20Brake%20Arm4_zpsapgm4rqh.jpg

TwinCooled%20Brake%20Arm5_zpsipuviqa9.jpg

Kevin

Got a couple hundred more miles on the mud flaps. A lot of it in the rain. Still looking good!

Running lights are nice and bright-

MudFlapRunningNight_zps466td41k.jpg

Brake lights and turn signals are crazy bright...probably enough to catch the peripheral vision of a texter. :)

MudFlapBrakeNight_zpsgneqa7ax.jpg

Below is a video of a walk around the TG showing:

UP FRONT

Stealth LED Driving Lights mounted on the engine guard
Stealth LED Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted around the forks
Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted Inside the fairing vent

RIGHT & LEFT SIDE

Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted inside the Lower Fairings, and plainly visible from the side

IN BACK

Run-Brake-Turn LED integrated into the Mud Flaps.

Click HERE to see the video.

Kevin

Got a couple hundred more miles on the mud flaps. A lot of it in the rain. Still looking good!

I to hope you move along quickly on these. Spring is coming quick. The extra lighting would be a huge saftey factor for all who install them. I hope to be placing the order soon! Thank you for DK's R & D work.

I to hope you move along quickly on these. Spring is coming quick. The extra lighting would be a huge saftey factor for all who install them. I hope to be placing the order soon! Thank you for DK's R & D work.

Tomorrow is Project Tri-Glide day for Devin & myself.

I've been riding all week, trying to break these...lots of rain, burn-outs in gravel, etc. They are holding up well. I think we will get started on them soon. :)

Devin is having ACL surgery next Thursday, but hopefully we will get it drawn up and get the laser work done before then.

If not, it will be about a week after the surgery until he is up and hobbling around.

Kevin

Today we spent some more time on the Tour Pak bracket we've been working on.

At one point we had given up on it. There are several more odd bends in it that it seems at first glance.

But we are back at it with a new plan!

Here's notes that we have made to supplement our CAD/CAM drawings. :laugh:

TP%20Bracket%20in%20works_zpslzaolrln.jpg

After that we removed the prototype Oil Filter Relocation and prototype oil cooler.

I've been running the prototypes for close to 4000 miles, and almost 2000 miles of that was running the 68 mile test run route, over and over again. lol

It was nice to finally be installing a finished product.

I opted to go with the braided fiber lines, and black hose finishers.

Here's the adapter, where the oil filter normally goes-

Where%20Oil%20Filter%20Normally%20goes_zpsr1tu4obm.jpg

The first part of the bracket, under the left passenger floorboard/peg-

Filter%20Bracket%201_zps376r5t3a.jpg

The second half of the bracket, prior to install-

Filter%20Bracket%202_zpslocho9ga.jpg

Installed-

Bracket%20Installed_zpsdwt17ymq.jpg

With oil filter-

Bracket%20Installed%20with%20Filter_zps3arvblek.jpg

Never again will I have to deal with a messy oil filter removal!

:)

Plus, our tests with the oil filter out in the wind, we consistently saw 8-10 degree drop in oil temps, and accompanying 3-5 degree drop in engine temp. :)

Next was installing the oil cooler. Not a lot of places for it on the Twin Cool.

This bracket places the cooler directly behind the lower vent. Those two (angled) holes in the bracket channel a surprising amount of air thru to the cylinders for cooling.

Oil%20Cooler%20Bracket_zps0l8bddvt.jpg

Here's the oil cooler installed.

Oil%20Cooler%20Installed_zpsyu3lrgma.jpg

Our tests with the oil filter/oil cooler combo consistently saw a 30-34 degree drop in oil temps, and an accompanying 5-7 degree drop in engine temp. :)

I am very happy with the results. *

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the TG up a bit and then taking some pics out in the sun.

Kevin

Kevin when you shoot the new pictures can you please shoot a couple showing more of where it is mounted from further back. to see the over all look.

At one point we had given up on it. There are several more odd bends in it that it seems at first glance.

After that we removed the prototype Oil Filter Relocation and prototype oil cooler.

I've been running the prototypes for close to 4000 miles, and almost 2000 miles of that was running the 68 mile test run route, over and over again. lol

Installed-

With oil filter-

Plus, our tests with the oil filter out in the wind, we consistently saw 8-10 degree drop in oil temps, and accompanying 3-5 degree drop in engine temp. :)

Next was installing the oil cooler. Not a lot of places for it on the Twin Cool.

This bracket places the cooler directly behind the lower vent. Those two (angled) holes in the bracket channel a surprising amount of air thru to the cylinders for cooling.

Our tests with the oil filter/oil cooler combo consistently saw a 30-34 degree drop in oil temps, and an accompanying 5-7 degree drop in engine temp. :)

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning the TG up a bit and then taking some pics out in the sun.

Kevin

Running lights are nice and bright-

MudFlapRunningNight_zps466td41k.jpg

Brake lights and turn signals are crazy bright...probably enough to catch the peripheral vision of a texter. :)

MudFlapBrakeNight_zpsgneqa7ax.jpg

Below is a video of a walk around the TG showing:

UP FRONT

Stealth LED Driving Lights mounted on the engine guard
Stealth LED Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted around the forks
Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted Inside the fairing vent

RIGHT & LEFT SIDE

Running Lights/Turn Signals mounted inside the Lower Fairings, and plainly visible from the side

IN BACK

Run-Brake-Turn LED integrated into the Mud Flaps.

Click HERE to see the video.

Kevin

I CAN SEE YOU!!!!!!! Very nice....and effective!!! ThumbUp ThumbUp ThumbUp

Installed-

With oil filter-

Kevin

Hi Kevin!! Any idea when remote oil filter system will be for sale? And can you possibly provide a pricing range? Really like the remote filter idea and would consider installing one on my Trike!!

:pepper:

Thanks Kevin!!

Roger

Kevin when you shoot the new pictures can you please shoot a couple showing more of where it is mounted from further back. to see the over all look.

Here's a pic of it from further back.

CnC%20DualFlow.jpg

You can see more pics and a full description at this LINK.

Hi Kevin!! Any idea when remote oil filter system will be for sale? And can you possibly provide a pricing range? Really like the remote filter idea and would consider installing one on my Trike!!

:pepper:

Thanks Kevin!!

Roger

Just got it on the website a few minutes ago. Normal price is $174.95, introductory price is $154.95 for the next week.

You can see it, and the Dual-Cool Oil Cooler at this LINK.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png