• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Avon Trike Tire

Reaction score
I currently need to replace my front tire on the Tri glide. I have been thinking of trying the Avon Trike tire as a replacement for the Dunlop. I wondered if anyone has real life experience with the Avon tire? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks

My only experience with Avons were on the 2 wheeler. They claim you will get longer usage at a cheeper price. Lasted the same as the Dunlap and performance was also the same. However I believe it's a softer compound, I think. Would conciter one when the time comes. Go for it!

I currently need to replace my front tire on the Tri glide. I have been thinking of trying the Avon Trike tire as a replacement for the Dunlop. I wondered if anyone has real life experience with the Avon tire? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi Bronx, After reading many reviews about front trike tires I decided to buy the Avon Cobra Trike tire because it was specifically made for trikes. I purchased it from Bikebandit for $125.95 with free shipping and I received it in two days. I won't have it mounted on my 2012 Harley Tri Glide until Spring but the tire looks good. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies; I decided to give the Avon tire a try. Randyman, thanks for the tip on Bikebandit, I bought it there.

Too late now since you already purchased ..... most of us switch to a rear tire (same size as front) which will have about twice the tread depth. I run a Michelin Commander II rear tire up front. Dunlop Elite II rear is another great option as well as a Metzler 888 rear.

Bob

why is running a rear tire better? does it improve the steering in any way? I have the stock Dunlop 402 on my 2011 and don't mind changing it out if theres a better tire out there. was thinking about the Dunlop elite or the avon trike tires.

Avon trike tire

why is running a rear tire better? does it improve the steering in any way? I have the stock Dunlop 402 on my 2011 and don't mind changing it out if theres a better tire out there. was thinking about the Dunlop elite or the avon trike tires.
Hi Johndeere, I bought an Avon Cobra front trike tire based on what I read on this site. The front tread depth is 11/32 so I think it should last a while. I have not mounted it yet because of the weather up here in Grayslake,Il but when I do and have ridden it for a few miles I will post my findings. I bought it from Bikebandit. I have a 2012 Tri Glide.

11/32" is far better than the 5/32" that most front tires have. Avon has done their homework.

Thank you for posting that and informing us!

Bob :D

Avon trike tire

11/32" is far better than the 5/32" that most front tires have. Avon has done their homework.

Thank you for posting that and informing us!

Bob :D
Hi HDBOB, You are welcome. The Avon tire seems like a better alternative to using a reverse mounted rear tire on the front since it was engineered for the Tri Glide. Time will tell.

I ordered my Avon tire from Bikebandit on Monday and it arrived last night (Wed). I am currently having a spare set of wheels powdercoated, then I will mount the Avon. I'll post my thoughts once I get some miles on it.

Avon trike tire

I ordered my Avon tire from Bikebandit on Monday and it arrived last night (Wed). I am currently having a spare set of wheels powdercoated, then I will mount the Avon. I'll post my thoughts once I get some miles on it.

Thanks Bronx.

Hi Johndeere, I bought an Avon Cobra front trike tire based on what I read on this site. The front tread depth is 11/32 so I think it should last a while. I have not mounted it yet because of the weather up here in Grayslake,Il but when I do and have ridden it for a few miles I will post my findings. I bought it from Bikebandit. I have a 2012 Tri Glide.

I went to Avon's website and they advertise the cobra tire as only having 8/32 tread depth? Where did you see the 11/32?

Avon trike tire

I went to Avon's website and they advertise the cobra tire as only having 8/32 tread depth? Where did you see the 11/32?
I did a Google search for avon cobra trike tire depth and went to avonmoto.com where they had the depth as 8.7mm which is real close to 11/32. 11/32 is 8.7313mm. Close enough for me.

I did a Google search for avon cobra trike tire depth and went to avonmoto.com where they had the depth as 8.7mm which is real close to 11/32. 11/32 is 8.7313mm. Close enough for me.

I owe you an apology, I did see that 8.7 but the old geezer mind automatically went into standard sizes and seen 8.7 and though 8/32" I went back and seen it was 8.7mm and I agree with you that is close enough to 11/32.

The two guys on here that have the AVON TRIKE tires on their trikes, how do you like the handling and ride. How does mileage seem to be doing?

I went to Avon's web site to look at the TRIKE tire and they have two listings, one for the 130/90b16 and one for MT90B16. The 130 size shows a tread depth of only 4.5 mm while the MT90 shows the tread depth of 8.7mm. I wonder why such a difference in depth on the two tires when they are basically the same size tire. My 14 tri glide has the MT90 on it so that is the one I would order. Guess an email to Avon will be needed.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/cobra-trike

I just installed mine, its got a whole mile on it, works wonderful LOL. Holding air.

We shall see looks like a twin to my streetglide tires. I wasn't that impressed with the tire on my streetglide, it handles as bad as a Harley dunlop.

Im beginning to believe its not the tires, its the bike, LOL, couldn't be the rider.

One day the streetglide will be triked, looking to put the mystery trike kit on it.

I know la Wayne personally and hes given me a first hand look at his stuff and its impressive.

If ya know la Wayne ya need to contact him, hes not feeling as well as he could, but a contact to him would cheer him a bit. :cool:

Avon trike tire

I owe you an apology, I did see that 8.7 but the old geezer mind automatically went into standard sizes and seen 8.7 and though 8/32" I went back and seen it was 8.7mm and I agree with you that is close enough to 11/32.

The two guys on here that have the AVON TRIKE tires on their trikes, how do you like the handling and ride. How does mileage seem to be doing?

I hope someone in a warmer climate has a chance to put some miles on an Avon trike tire so I/we can all benefit from their experiences. No apologies necessary as I am an old geezer too!

- - - Updated - - -

I went to Avon's web site to look at the TRIKE tire and they have two listings, one for the 130/90b16 and one for MT90B16. The 130 size shows a tread depth of only 4.5 mm while the MT90 shows the tread depth of 8.7mm. I wonder why such a difference in depth on the two tires when they are basically the same size tire. My 14 tri glide has the MT90 on it so that is the one I would order. Guess an email to Avon will be needed.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cru...om/cobra-trike

Maybe because one is a radial and one is

a bias ply? I don't know either!

I seen that one is a radial but why does the rAdil have less tread depth. I fired that question off to Avon when I get a response I will post it.

Avon said the depth of 8.7mm on the MT size is a misprint it is only 5.2mm. Can anyone with the mt90 tire measure theirs.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png