Triker Travel Question

Reaction score
I know this isn't the forum for travel, but need
info on riding my TriGlide to Tail of Dragon
Point me in direction of good sites covering
riding in that area, food, hotels, etc
Uncle Willie

I think you will get more responses in the General Discussion thread so I moved it for you. I'll be watching this thread, as the Dragon is on my "Bucket List".

I envy that you're getting to go ... :pepper:

It's a shame you are on the other side of the Dragon, otherwise I would suggest warming up for the Dragon on the Blue Ridge Parkway and take a few of the exits off of it! Way back when we went down to the dragon after taking that route the Dragon seemed pretty tame compared to a couple of the exits off the Parkway!

The Dragon itself is just a twisty back country road but the challenge that everybody seems to take is to see just how fast you can take it! Just about everybody speeds there and yes, the police WILL give you a ticket if you are caught! The big danger is other riders and stupid Semi drivers that get on the Dragon when they aren't supposed to be on it at all!!

All in all it is great scenery and a blast to drive on!

We like to stay in Maggie Valley. It has all the info there and a place to see while you are there called Wheels in Motion.
From there you can tour the whole area including the Dragon.
Just remember to take your time when you ride it on your trike.

Maggie Valley is our favorite "base camp" area because we can ride for over a week and never cover the same ground; at least for very long. More places to ride and things to do than you can do in one trip.

Uncle Willie,

If you can, avoid the Dragon on the weekend. That is when all the crotch rockets are seeing if they can go 100MPH. Mid week is the best time to ride it less traffic and less police presence. I usually stay at the Iron Horse Motorcycle camp ground (www.ironhorsenc.com). They have nice cabins, tent and RV sites

The few times I have been to the Dragon, I have based myself out of Bryson City. There are a few family owned, no name motels across from each other and a Sleep Inn I believe.

Each June, there has been a Smoky Mountain Ride In where a bunch of Goldwingers and other brands of bikes, 2 and 3 wheel, get together and ride the area roads for 2-3 days. Different level of riders group up and head out for the day. Its a benefit to help the local kids with Christmas gifts. At night, we all hang out in the motel parking lot and swap lies, have a few cold ones, and get ready for the next day's ride. The Dragon has always been on the list of rides each year that I can remember...although my memory is not as sharp as it use to

be....:D

http://www.smokymountainridein.com

Thx Fuzz! How can I post a pic on my site?
Willie

When in the reply to thread box, click on the insert image box, second row of icons, square icon about two thirds over from the left. from there you can upload a photo (gotta be less than 2meg, I make mine about a meg) or many photos, or you can insert a url to something like photo bucket.

I know this isn't the forum for travel, but need
info on riding my TriGlide to Tail of Dragon
Point me in direction of good sites covering
riding in that area, food, hotels, etc
Uncle Willie

What dates are you thinking about?

Our group just did the Tail last fall. Make sure you do the Devil's Triangle both directions, a section of Route 66, 209 The Rattler..there are a few spots that could make you want to s#!t yourself on all three of those roads....after those the Tail of the Dragon and the Blueridge Parkway was a bit of a let down....safe riding

Our group just did the Tail last fall. Make sure you do the Devil's Triangle both directions, The Rattlesnake..there are a few spots that could make you want to s#!t yourself on those roads..also was a good bunch of twisty's. Also,I believe when we left Barbosa's bar and campground we took 25W [Dixie Hwy] to 25E to Morrisville up to Hwy 66. The ride [66] is most all constant twisties but not overly aggresive switchbacks unless you feel the need for speed. We stayed on HWY 66 to 11 then into Lexington,after those the Tail of the Dragon and the Blueridge Parkway was a bit of a let down....safe riding

Triker Travel

Going Aug 28-Sept 5 Staying in Maggie's

Valley @Jonathon Creek Inn

Any tips on arranging our runs and eating in

MV? Going to be 5-6 riding HDs

I'm oldest and only Trike (as of now)

I could care less about speed, at my age I'm

about enjoyment. (74) ��

Going Aug 28-Sept 5 Staying in Maggie's

Valley @Jonathon Creek Inn

Any tips on arranging our runs and eating in

MV? Going to be 5-6 riding HDs

I'm oldest and only Trike (as of now)

I could care less about speed, at my age I'm

about enjoyment. (74) ��

We will be at the trike get together early. 9/2-9/10

Will be available for a ride. pm your phone. We know the roads and have a good map.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png