• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Maintenance Help Please

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Champion kit for my Road King this is my first spring maintenance since we converted to a trike. I have the independent suspension belt drive. The owners manual is a little short on info.
What do i need to do to service the differential every spring

thanks

Peter

It is pretty much maintenance free. The diff is sealed.

INSPECT for leaks.
INSPECT the belt for looseness, chips, cuts and holes.
INSPECT the CV Joint boots for rips and leaks.
INSPECT exhaust hangers and clamps are tightened properly.
INSPECT lights are all working properly.
INSPECT trunk is closing properly and seals.

INSPECT..... INSPECT....... INSPECT......

Ride safely.......:cool:

thanks

Thank you all

My confusion was that i have a Champion kit but the work was done at Lehman so the owners manual i have a from Lehman and that maintenance procedure was not fitting what i was seeing under the trike

thanks again

If you have the Independent Suspension Harley-Davidson FLH-FLT kit, Lehman & Champion are all the same except for maybe the rear brake setup.

Thanks but still a little confussed

So here is what the manual says so this is what needs to be done?
for the belt drive. The question i have is the plug seem to be on the bottom not the side. Again this is a 1995 conversion kit

thanks

001.jpg

Suggestion:
Go to www.champion.com and download the assembly instructions for your model.

It will give you a very good idea of what you should check, give you bolt and fastener torque values. tell you how to check belt tension, axle alignment and other wonderful things and Explain maintenance techniques etc.

Don't forget to look for leaks around your wheel seals and check for leaks or cracks around your shock mounts?

Mine is a champion straight axle but if you were to go to my build site I documented my assembly and it will give you some good pointers.
( click on a picture in there and will give you some text to read as well.

google-- pcombe library/photobucket

I hope it helps? ThumbUp

Belt adjustment

d-7-checkingforbeltplay-oneandahalfinchplay_zps58475571.jpg

Axle alignment

d-8-usingadialcalipertoadjustalighnmentonaxleanddrivepulleys_zpsfd2f8067 (600 x 548) (2).jpg

DSCF3230 (600 x 448).jpg

You say that you have independent suspension with belt drive yet you circle information for a driveshaft differential??? I'm cornfussed.

Sorry fro the confusion but that is way i received the manual the trike is a belt drive

Sorry fro the confusion but that is way i received the manual the trike is a belt drive

I have never had an occasion to have a Champion belt drive differential apart. I have never heard of one failing and I am sorry to say I don't know what the service policy interval is on it. But I will check right now.

Spoke to Kenny at Lehman/Champion just now. Unless you see a leak in the assembly, there is no need for service. It uses a very heavy grease that is high-temp resistant. He also said there have been no recorded failures.

I hope this helps.

thanks

I have never had an occasion to have a Champion belt drive differential apart. I have never heard of one failing and I am sorry to say I don't know what the service policy interval is on it. But I will check right now.

Spoke to Kenny at Lehman/Champion just now. Unless you see a leak in the assembly, there is no need for service. It uses a very heavy grease that is high-temp resistant. He also said there have been no recorded failures.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the fast feed back and the checking up on the service policy

Peter

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png