How many carry a chock for their trikes without parking brakes?

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
How many carry a chock for their trikes without parking brakes?

I'm new to trikes but not motorcycles. I don't know that I trust leaving the goldwing parked on anything but a flat surface without a wheel chock. While first gear and engine compression should hold it what if it comes out of gear? I picked up a nice rubber chock today at Harbor Freight for six bucks which is cheap insurance for parking on a hill or for servicing the unit.
Bill

I'm new to trikes but not motorcycles. I don't know that I trust leaving the goldwing parked on anything but a flat surface without a wheel chock. While first gear and engine compression should hold it what if it comes out of gear? I picked up a nice rubber chock today at Harbor Freight for six bucks which is cheap insurance for parking on a hill or for servicing the unit.
Bill

I agree Bill. I've carried a chock for many years. It's still new and unused but one never knows. I have only parked one place where I doubt the engine/transmission might not have held and was able to park perpendicular to the slop so I did not use the chock. Never a bad idea and they sure don't take up much space. :xszpv::xszpv:

I use what is called a Mico Loc, and a few people will gripe about it too. It's pricey, but I have never had to worry about it. I installed it and it not only does it work for a parking brake but you can put the switch any where you want so it's an added anti theft device. I installed the same type of valves on electric hi-line trucks, school busses, and just about any vehicle you can think of. Good luck, ride safe, and stop in often!

I have a bucket full of small wood triangles left over from a wood working project. I carry a couple with me at all times. If I feel the need I just place one at the front wheel and just leave it if it is going to be much trouble getting it. They are only 2inch by 2inch and 1 inch thick

I sometimes do if I know I'm headed anywhere hilly. I have a parking brake but I can't ever remember to release it. Last year I found out the hard way that it's very easy for the wife to hit the heal portion of the shifter while climbing off.

This is why I opted for the parking brake accessory on my Roadsmith; particularly since I live in northern Arkansas and there are no flat places to park. :D

Also, I'm not a fan of using the front brake. The constant pressure will cause the rubber lines to expand and over time I think this will make deteriorate faster or produce spongy braking. JMO.

I have a velcro strip I wrap on the front lever - rarely
As long as it's in gear I have no problems even on steep grades and the velcro is just on the Victory for cold morning warm ups (she's a bit cold blooded)

My buddy (new to trikes) likes to leave his in neutral - I tend to scold him a lot :mad:
Why and when he developed this bad habit I don't know but he parks all his bikes in neutral. :xzqxz:

My biggest fear is that some idiot will put it in neutral just to watch it go down the street. I bought the yellow plastic chocks but dont use them. Stand out too much. I think i will go with the small angle blocks of wood. At least there not so visible.

My biggest fear is that some idiot will put it in neutral just to watch it go down the street. I bought the yellow plastic chocks but dont use them. Stand out too much. I think i will go with the small angle blocks of wood. At least there not so visible.
I bought the black hard rubber chock.
Bill

Wheel Chock

I have a collapsible red metal wheel chock I bought at Harbor Freight, I seldom ever use it. I have thought about painting it with clear paint so nobody can see it but then I will probably drive off and leave it. I also have a Velcro strap around the right grip that I can wrap around the brake lever, and that, I use fairly often. I never remove it, just unwrap a couple wraps and wrap around the brake lever then when I'm ready to go i refasten it to itself around the grip, it's hardly noticeable, works good lasts a long time.

I use the old-school method. I find a rock, piece of wood, small child or whatever I can find lying around to put behind the wheel when I need it.
I simply have the wife put her foot behind or in front of the tire so the trike won't roll away. That way she can also keep the rain off the driver's seat while I go in and have coffee! :D

I have a collapsible red metal wheel chock I bought at Harbor Freight, I seldom ever use it. I have thought about painting it with clear paint so nobody can see it but then I will probably drive off and leave it. I also have a Velcro strap around the right grip that I can wrap around the brake lever, and that, I use fairly often. I never remove it, just unwrap a couple wraps and wrap around the brake lever then when I'm ready to go i refasten it to itself around the grip, it's hardly noticeable, works good lasts a long time.

What in the world is "clear paint?" Does it make you invisible? Just asking. LOL

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CedarRonin
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png