Reverse breaker keeps tripping....

consitter

Bob's Curmudgeon Apprentice
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2015
Ashland, KY
Anybody else having this problem?

So far, it's happened to me 5 times in the last week and a half. And so everyone knows, no, I haven't been hitting reverse and the brake at the same time. And no, I haven't been trying to reverse uphill.

I've even tried turning my radio and passing lights off to lessen any extra electrical load. Sometimes it trips, sometimes it doesn't. I can guarantee I'll get it up to the shop and it won't trip while it's there, but will as soon as I get it back home.

:gah::xzqxz:

So far, it's happened to me 5 times in the last week and a half. And so everyone knows, no, I haven't been hitting reverse and the brake at the same time. And no, I haven't been trying to reverse uphill.

I've even tried turning my radio and passing lights off to lessen any extra electrical load. Sometimes it trips, sometimes it doesn't. I can guarantee I'll get it up to the shop and it won't trip while it's there, but will as soon as I get it back home.

I notice on my amp meter on my 2106 TGU a large electrical drain when using reverse even on flat surfaces and remember someone recommending that you rev the engine with your throttle to decrease the drain when backing up. The increased revs do not increase the speed at which the reverse motor operates. This suggestion seems to work well as I have not had the circuit breaker kick out even once when backing up and I use the feature fairly frequently when necessary. You might want to try that and see if it keeps the circuit breaker from tripping?

I notice on my amp meter on my 2106 TGU a large electrical drain when using reverse even on flat surfaces and remember someone recommending that you rev the engine with your throttle to decrease the drain when backing up. The increased revs do not increase the speed at which the reverse motor operates. This suggestion seems to work well as I have not had the circuit breaker kick out even once when backing up and I use the feature fairly frequently when necessary. You might want to try that and see if it keeps the circuit breaker from tripping?

Actually, I have been doing just that. I will be on a grocery store parking lot, and it will work fine. Then when I get home and go to back in my driveway...nada. And the odd thing is the breaker is still in place. I have to hit the red button 2 or 3 times to get the switch to swing out. Then it doesn't want to *snap* back in. I know when it will actually work because I hear a snap when it goes back into place.

It will stay in place without snapping, but reverse won't work.

I appreciate you answering at this late hour.

Sounds to me like the breaker itself has gone bad. If you can get a meter on it, see what your voltage does when in reverse to make sure it isn't dropping badly though. The motor tries to use the same amount of power no matter what the voltage. If the volts drops, it pulls more amps. Not sure what is acceptable in voltage drop though.

Actually, I have been doing just that. I will be on a grocery store parking lot, and it will work fine. Then when I get home and go to back in my driveway...nada. And the odd thing is the breaker is still in place. I have to hit the red button 2 or 3 times to get the switch to swing out. Then it doesn't want to *snap* back in. I know when it will actually work because I hear a snap when it goes back into place. It will stay in place without snapping, but reverse won't work.

I appreciate you answering at this late hour.

I'll bet if you pull the reverse motor and open it up you'll find that the brushes are starting to crumble, I found that to be my problem... I cleaned them and sanded the commuter 3 times... Water and in my case riding in the slush puddles in the winter corrodes them..

And after one total rebuild.. That lasted a year, I had a mechanical reverse installed..ThumbUp If i want i can burn rubber in reverse..

I'll bet if you pull the reverse motor and open it up you'll find that the brushes are starting to crumble, I found that to be my problem... I cleaned them and sanded the commuter 3 times... Water and in my case riding in the slush puddles in the winter corrodes them.. And after one total rebuild.. That lasted a year, I had a mechanical reverse installed..ThumbUp If i want i can burn rubber in reverse..
I'll probably end up putting a mechanical reverse in once my service contract expires.

http://bradleyscycles.com/rebuild-k...-glide-reverse-motor-brush-electric-83388-09a

:Agree: with the possibility of a bad reverse circuit breaker. It could also be that the reverse motor is just pulling too many amps .... possibly too tight a tolerance between the drive gear and the differential ring. A simple amp meter on the wiring can show how many amps the motor is pulling.

I've read that some have experienced sticking brushes in the motor. Link above is to a brush rebuild kit.

Bob :D

http://bradleyscycles.com/rebuild-ki...tric-83388-09a

:Agree: with the possibility of a bad reverse circuit breaker. It could also be that the reverse motor is just pulling too many amps .... possibly too tight a tolerance between the drive gear and the differential ring. A simple amp meter on the wiring can show how many amps the motor is pulling.

I've read that some have experienced sticking brushes in the motor. Link above is to a brush rebuild kit.

Bob :D

Its about time someone started selling the brush/plate kit...Its also a good idea to change the Commutator, Or at least emery the rough/groves smooth on the commutator... Been there done that..+3...

Your situation sounds similar to mine. Next thing happened to me was breaker would reset, but reverse motor would not run. Checked amp draw and voltage from source, thru switch to breaker then to solenoid. All good. Removed the reverse motor and found three of the four brushes were stuck back away from the armature. Dust (some from brush wear) and moisture appeared to be the problem. Cleaned everything up and it's working fine now. I did find and purchase on the brush kits previously posted. It's in the cupboard in the garage just in caseThumbUp

Originally (after installing my 120r), when I tried to use my reverse my engine would die. I just increased my idle a little and all is well. She won't idle anywhere close to 1000 rpm so when I do use it, I keep the rpm up a little. However, I try not to use it at all. When I stop/park, I take note of the space and either pull in or back in so I do not have to use the reverse.

Roger

Its about time someone started selling the brush/plate kit...Its also a good idea to change the Commutator, Or at least emery the rough/groves smooth on the commutator... Been there done that..+3...

You can get the plate here for $50:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Kit...c9a294ebb4ccf9ff010e3aa818198&pid=100011&rk=1
%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D131824693622

But you should have the armature turned on a lathe or better yet an armature lathe. The armature lathe will also be able to under cut
the mica separators in the commutator. If this isn't done correctly it will shorten the life of the brushes $ commutator

Rev Breaker

Consitter, it sounds like you need it to fail and have the motor company fix it under warranty. How far are you from the nearest shop? if you are still a HOG member then let it fail and call them to pick it up. You may need to raise your voice but they will change that breaker or at least inspect the motor.
I'm on a 2013 with 42510 miles and have never had a failure...........probably just jinxed myself.

Hope it works out for you.

Ride Safe

It failed twice today on me. And it's done something totally weird that it hadn't done before. When I reset it, I put it in neutral like I'm supposed to, then put it in reverse. Except when I put it in reverse the 'N' for neutral on the dash went out. I hit the reverse lever and nothing--until I blipped the gas, then backwards it went.

Curiouser and curiouser....need to take a trip to the shop if I can find the time.

Since you should still be in warranty, sounds like a trip to the dealer is best. It sure sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Whether a ground or hot wire, it may be fun to chase down. Of course, if it is the battery you may not be covered. I forgot what the warranty is on those.

Since you should still be in warranty, sounds like a trip to the dealer is best. It sure sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. Whether a ground or hot wire, it may be fun to chase down. Of course, if it is the battery you may not be covered. I forgot what the warranty is on those.
I also bought the service plan, so I'm covered for one battery in the first 3 years.

I also bought the service plan, so I'm covered for one battery in the first 3 years.

I'll remember that. I bought the service plan a couple of months ago-with tire and wheel- after Shreveport roads cost me a $400 tow and front tire replacement on a weekend trip. Still leaves me 16 months on the battery.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trtro

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trtro
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png