TRUNK LOCK - turns but will not open the lid - HELP

Finally Harley!

Jul 6, 2016
Simi Valley, CA, USA
Hello again,
Just got back from a ride, and my trunk lock turns, but will not disengage the lock to lift the lid. Of course, my purse, keys, cell phone, etc. are in the trunk, so I MUST GET IT OPEN!

I read old posts about the screws coming loose and falling out, and the cable coming loose, but that's good info if you can open the trunk in the first place. I also read on old posts that there is no other way in the trunk except taking off the wheel and the fender. Hate that thought.

Does anyone have a great idea? I tried pushing on the trunk lid, pulling on it, turning the lock, locking and unlocking the lock, etc.

Thanks!
Debbie

You should still be under warranty, problem is, Simi Harley Service Department won't be open until Tuesday. Ditto Glendale, Canoga Park, Ventura, Santa Clarita or Lancaster.

I just went out and looked at mine, and frankly I can't see a way to 'pry, slim jim, or break in without screwing up the trunk or lid. If you have to cut a hole, it would make more sense cutting the lid instead of the box, you can replace the whole lid, but that would be the dealer's problem. Hope you have a spare set of keys, kind of sounds like you are stuck until Tuesday. Good Luck

LL
You should still be under warranty, problem is, Simi Harley Service Department won't be open until Tuesday. Ditto Glendale, Canoga Park, Ventura, Santa Clarita or Lancaster.

I just went out and looked at mine, and frankly I can't see a way to 'pry, slim jim, or break in without screwing up the trunk or lid. If you have to cut a hole, it would make more sense cutting the lid instead of the box, you can replace the whole lid, but that would be the dealer's problem. Hope you have a spare set of keys, kind of sounds like you are stuck until Tuesday. Good Luck

Thanks Screwball. I've adjusted my thinking to accept the fact that I might not get it open until Tuesday or later, depending on what the dealer can do. I have extra keys, but getting used to being off the grid without a cell phone is a challenge. LOL. We thought about drilling a hole in the lid, but I'd rather let the dealer deal with that mess.

Thanks again, and take care :)

Thats why i stopped locking the trunk and top box on my 11 Tri years ago.... I once locked my trunk and i had to fight to get it opened ....So I don't keep any thing in them worth more then what it will cost to replace the trunk/top box... When a thief snaps/brakes open the locks..Locks only keep the honest people out...:Shrug:

I am sure you could drill straight thru the lock they are not high security. If care is taken only the lock will come apart. If you call a locksmith they can take are of it no problem. Just a thought.;)

I am sure you could drill straight thru the lock they are not high security. If care is taken only the lock will come apart. If you call a locksmith they can take are of it no problem. Just a thought.;)

Don't think drilling the lock would release the latch which is released by a cable when you turn the lock. I may be wrong.

Sunman

lock trunk

I had the same problem on mine. I could not open it with key in the unlock mode. What I discover was the bracket became loose, and would not release. I had to gently press on the lid where it locks to the bracket and pull at the same time it finally released. I took a wrench and tighten the bolts on bracket, and the problem went away! Good luck with yours!

Try putting some lock ease on the lock ... the lock on my tri got "stuck" and that helped it release ... but i do think the tri lock mechanism might not be the same as the free's.

Don't think drilling the lock would release the latch which is released by a cable when you turn the lock. I may be wrong.

Sunman

Looked it up and see the release is on the side bummer if lock was out would have to fish for the release cable. Do able but harder kind of a strange way to release a lid.

I had the same problem on mine. I could not open it with key in the unlock mode. What I discover was the bracket became loose, and would not release. I had to gently press on the lid where it locks to the bracket and pull at the same time it finally released. I took a wrench and tighten the bolts on bracket, and the problem went away! Good luck with yours!

Thank you Grunt67. We tried light pressure, hard pressure, banging on the latch, etc. No progress. I'd like to know more about your comment - gently press on the lid and pull at the same time. Maybe if I can get more than my 2 hands on it tonight I'll try that. Maybe that slight tweak will work!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. The lock part where the key goes in, works and turns and locks, etc. It is the mechanism inside the trunk on the right side that is either jammed, or a screw came out and it shifted, or the cable moved, etc. I guess buying a new model of anything comes with its learning curve... Dang! :xzqxz:

OK, there have been 3 or 4 'trunk won't open' threads started here, but no one has come back and said what the dealer did to open the trunk lid. So, what did they do, or was it 'operator error' in the first place. Help us out so we know what we can do if ours fail

OK, there have been 3 or 4 'trunk won't open' threads started here, but no one has come back and said what the dealer did to open the trunk lid. So, what did they do, or was it 'operator error' in the first place. Help us out so we know what we can do if ours fail

Nothing we tried at home worked. I went to the Harley dealer this morning. They said they have a HD prescribed protocol they go through to get into these Freewheeler trunks which have latch failure. Bad design for sure. First, there is a hole in the bottom of the trunk, which they stick a long screwdriver into, and then blindly fish around and try to push the latch open.

UH OH, because my big leather purse is on the right side, and IMO, in the way of that technique. Also, there is a liner in the trunk, which would most likely get punctured by a long screwdriver. They tried that, but couldn't get it open, so I left it there, and they said the next step would be to take off the wheel, the fender, and possibly the whole trunk box.

They just called me that they got it open, from the bottom, so I'll be heading over there shortly to see.

I'll get back to the thread with the end result.....

Nothing we tried at home worked. I went to the Harley dealer this morning. They said they have a HD prescribed protocol they go through to get into these Freewheeler trunks which have latch failure. Bad design for sure. First, there is a hole in the bottom of the trunk, which they stick a long screwdriver into, and then blindly fish around and try to push the latch open. UH OH, because my big leather purse is on the right side, and IMO, in the way of that technique. Also, there is a liner in the trunk, which would most likely get punctured by a long screwdriver. They tried that, but couldn't get it open, so I left it there, and they said the next step would be to take off the wheel, the fender, and possibly the whole trunk box. They just called me that they got it open, from the bottom, so I'll be heading over there shortly to see. I'll get back to the thread with the end result.....

Okay, so, HD dealer drilled a tiny hole in the trunk bottom, a tinier hole in the trunk liner, and fished around with a long screwdriver type thing until they made contact with the latch.

Said it took 2 hours, but all warranty work.

As mentioned in HDBOB posts, 1 of the 2 screws fell out, and the latch was crooked. The HD recommended fix? Lockite on the screws, and as a precaution, a small zip tie holding the cable to the cable bracket.

Last edited:
Trunk

Interesting.......wonder if that is MoCo's answer to the
same issue with Ultra's/Street Gides?
Did they repair the hole/supply a cork?

Sure glad you get it resolved.......best of luck with your new ride!

:wave4:

The service guy didn't mention the holes, but I asked about it. He said if it really bothered me, he could check with Harley to see what they might do. I don't think it bothers me, for now.

The service guy didn't mention the holes, but I asked about it. He said if it really bothered me, he could check with Harley to see what they might do. I don't think it bothers me, for now.

What about possible water ingress if you get caught in the rain? If they cut a hole in the trunk I would want them to seal it. Just my opinion.

Sunman

What about possible water ingress if you get caught in the rain? If they cut a hole in the trunk I would want them to seal it. Just my opinion.

Sunman

I definitely thought about water. My thoughts are (1) it hardly ever rains in So Cali, and (2) I have the holes in case the latch failure ever happens again. However, I still may ask for a seal next time I go in. Good advice, thanks!

Think of it this way...If Water gets in ' It will drain out the holes... Sought'a like the PF Flyers Seekers i wore when i was a youth, The ones with the two portholes on the sides... Water gets in -Water gets out....:laugh:ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png