TRUNK LOCK - turns but will not open the lid - HELP

trunk locked

Glad to read, that it got fix. Just a suggestion for those who have not had the problem. Take a wrench and check the bolts that hold the bracket. Put the blue lock tied on the bolts and tighten them up. An easy fix before the problem begins. The rubber plug is a good fix as mention on the previous thread. Again glad to know that its fixed. happy riding!

Thanks everybody! When you tighten and locktite the screws, also zip tie the cable to its bracket, as that is another source of latch failure. And the rubber plug is a good idea, but I also lol'd at the water in-water out perspective!

Thomastrike

Okay, so, HD dealer drilled a tiny hole in the trunk bottom, a tinier hole in the trunk liner, and fished around with a long screwdriver type thing until they made contact with the latch. Said it took 2 hours, but all warranty work. As mentioned in HDBOB posts, 1 of the 2 screws fell out, and the latch was crooked. The HD recommended fix? Lockite on the screws, and as a precaution, a small zip tie holding the cable to the cable bracket.
Thx for the update.Would be a good idea to put locktite on those 2 screws now before something bad happens.:clapping:

Checked bolts at latch and lock and bolts were just finger tight so took out and locktighted all bolts. Also put ziptie around cable at latch. From this thread would suggest you check bolts.

Hello again,
Just got back from a ride, and my trunk lock turns, but will not disengage the lock to lift the lid. Of course, my purse, keys, cell phone, etc. are in the trunk, so I MUST GET IT OPEN!

I read old posts about the screws coming loose and falling out, and the cable coming loose, but that's good info if you can open the trunk in the first place. I also read on old posts that there is no other way in the trunk except taking off the wheel and the fender. Hate that thought.

Does anyone have a great idea? I tried pushing on the trunk lid, pulling on it, turning the lock, locking and unlocking the lock, etc.

Thanks!
Debbie

Beat on top of lid hard and quickly causing the lock to move and turn loose. Then use lactate on screws that has fallen out.

Latch Repair

Fixed the latch on my 2015 FLRT. Cause was a latch screw fell out and the other was very loose. I removed the right rear tire and fender. Using a 1 1/4” spade bit placed a hole in the trunk wall, and a minor hole in the liner from the spade bit point. Was able to easily push the trunk liner in, shine a light and use a small straight screwdriver and easily release the latch. Lock-Tite on both bolts and now good to go. Cover the hole with duck tape and is covered by the fender.

Duct tape

Fixed the latch on my 2015 FLRT. Cause was a latch screw fell out and the other was very loose. I removed the right rear tire and fender. Using a 1 1/4” spade bit placed a hole in the trunk wall, and a minor hole in the liner from the spade bit point. Was able to easily push the trunk liner in, shine a light and use a small straight screwdriver and easily release the latch. Lock-Tite on both bolts and now good to go. Cover the hole with duck tape and is covered by the fender.

Eventually the tape will get wet or other wise leak at the most inopportune time. Just a quick search on amazon...50 Piece Flush Mount Black Hole Plug Assortment for Auto Body, or just go to your local auto dealer, the plugs are usually found in HELP section

Last edited:
Happy Ending

Just went through the inoperable trunk latch nightmare. After scouring the forums and learning what I could I tackled the problem. I got some heavy duty rubber foam (to protect the paint) and draped it over the trunk lid and body. I then took a dead blow hammer and gave the lid a few wacks while lifting up on the luggage rack. To my delight, the latch released and I could open the lid (Thank you Lord). One of the two screws holding the latch had fallen out and allowed the latch and cable to get mis-aligned. I glued a shim in the lower portion of the plastic housing and made a cable clamp to add when I reassembled the latch. Here are a few pics...

Clamps.JPG

TIES.JPG

ASSY.JPG

I was VERY lucky being able to open the lid. I wish everyone the same if they have to tackle this job.

Just went through the inoperable trunk latch nightmare. After scouring the forums and learning what I could I tackled the problem. I got some heavy duty rubber foam (to protect the paint) and draped it over the trunk lid and body. I then took a dead blow hammer and gave the lid a few wacks while lifting up on the luggage rack. To my delight, the latch released and I could open the lid (Thank you Lord). One of the two screws holding the latch had fallen out and allowed the latch and cable to get mis-aligned. I glued a shim in the lower portion of the plastic housing and made a cable clamp to add when I reassembled the latch. Here are a few pics...

View attachment 114796

View attachment 114797

View attachment 114798

I was VERY lucky being able to open the lid. I wish everyone the same if they have to tackle this job.

Hey, Mark Welcome to Trike-Talk.......:wave4:...

View attachment 114796

View attachment 114797

View attachment 114798

Hi Mark, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

Good fix, thanks for sharing

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png