Rubbing sound on Right Rear 2009 Champion IRS

Apr 26, 2014
Woodland Park, CO
I have a 2009 Champion IRS trike kit with about 12.2K miles on it. Until 3 weeks ago the kit has been great. Then, I noticed a slight rubbing sound from the right rear tire area. The rubbing sound has become more aggressive in a couple of short rides since I first heard the sound. This rubbing sound ONLY occurs when I am turning and the weight shifts more to the right rear. It does not seem to occur on straight-aways. Then this past week I started hearing a similar sound from the left rear tire area when turning left. The sound is not a whine like a wheel bearing but more of a rubbing sound.

Today I pulled the right rear tire and carefully examined the tire and the trike kit shell for any rub marks (thinking I have a broken shock) but there are no obvious rub marks on either the shell or tire. All of the CV boots look clean without leaks and are not torn. The shock does not appear broken and there are no leaks. BTW, I have greased the U-joint at 5K and 10K.

I did notice that the right rear brake rotor is floating on the spindle and moves upwards of ½ inch in and out on the spindle with the tire off the trike. The only thing holding the rotor in place with the wheel removed seems to be the disc calipers. The brake pads look fine and there is no scoring of the rotor itself. Is this rotor movement normal or should the brake rotor be bolted to the carrier kit?

If the rotor is normal, do you have any ideas on what the rubbing sound might be so I can tell my Champion dealer/repair shop (Apex Motors in Colorado Springs) where to start looking?

If I were in your shoes, I would not tell the repair shop anything, other than there is a rubbing noise in the rear...in my years of experience in dealing with all types of repair shops, they don't like a customer telling them anything about what you have found...

I got a call from Champion today (Jason). He was very courteous and listened to what I had done. His diagnosis is that my problem is probably in the anti-sway bar. I will take a look and see what it looks like. If it is the anti sway bar, I will need to send it back to Champion for repair.
Assuming the anti-sway bar comes off easy, it should be an easy check to see if it is the cause of the rubbing sound simply by taking it on a spin after the removal to see if the noise is still there.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png