Carry extra gas?

We did 4,000 miles last August from Wisconsin to Yellowstone and back with a lot of side trips.
No need for extra gas.
Never had a problem with the gas and mileage of my Trike pulling my cargo trailer.
Never pass a gas station if your getting low figuring you can make it to the next one. Only takes a few minutes to fill up.

I have discovered a gas issue that really has nothing to do with running out - except it kinda does.
When I put the Frankenstein kit on, the geometry changed. Duh, no big deal. Welllllllllll, the front of the tank is lower than it used to be. And the fuel pickup is in the rear of the tank. 1.8 miles from the station we were heading to, at barely a needle-width under 1/4 tank, she went DRY! I could see gas, I could rock it & slosh gas... but the slosh only moved enough gas back to the pick-up for about 500 feet.
Really frustrating. I hopped on Dan's backseat and we drove the 1.8 miles (grrrr) and filled a 1.5 gallon can - apparently designed for off-roaders - it fit nicely in his saddlebag (Beeemer) - we poured about 3/4 of a gallon in the tank and about 1/2 gallon all over the paint (grrr again) and cruised back to the same station for a fillup.
I have been told there is a little bracket to re-align (raise) the mounting point from the front of the tank to the frame, but haven't had any luck finding one.

We did a 3400 mile trip to Canada (Edmonton) last summer. We carried 2 gallons of gas on the cooler rack on the trailer. We came home with the same gas. But I like to say we used it about six times. It is amazing how far you can go on "E" when you have extra gas. But if I were to do it again. I would not take the gas. But instead take the cooler.....with more Root Beer:D
But that would mean more gas stops. And sometimes filling when it is still half full.
But if you are going through some remote areas. Take gas:yes:

Thanks all. I'd love a real aux tank, but I'm not going to spend the $. I ordered a pair of 30 oz MSR bottles off Amazon. That's just shy of a gallon, and should give me some peace of mind.

I just completed 5400 miles in 16 states over 24 days (Dallas is home) on my 09 Wing (Motor Trike IRS) and I averaged about 32 MPG pulling a Bushtec Roadstar Trailer. My high was 37 and my low was 28 in a head-wind in So. Dakota. It was plenty hot on the final leg of the trip (113 in Vegas) and throughout the trip I found that I was ready to stop and stretch about every 100 to 125 miles. I never really ran close to empty based on those numbers. I know we all ride differently but after this long trip I realized that I had no need of extra gas. I know, especially in Canada and Alaska (as well as some desert areas) that gas is sometimes scarce but I found with just a little planning and my Garmin GPS, I was always able to get fuel. I certainly am not being critical of those that feel the need to carry it, I just don't have the need...safe riding to all. :Flag:

If I was on a run and pulling a trailer. I would carry at least a gallon of extra.
If i was riding in a group as well most definetly. Better safe than sorry.
Besides you might need it to start that pesky camp fire. :D:rolleyes:

Larry, my VTX looks like gravity feed to me. How are you getting the gas up and out of the tank and into the carb or throttle body?

Steve what I did was used an after market fuel pump to pull fuel from the auxiliary tank. An in-line filter and a electric fuel shut off is in the circuit as well. I wired it thru a relay so that when the switch is off the main tanks fuel pump is activated as in normal operation. Once I flip the switch for the auxiliary tank that pump is shut off and the auxiliary pump is on. I used a pump due to the tank being level or just below the carbs so needed to pump fuel uphill so to speak.
Since lowering the rear of the trike I find I can get more usable fuel from the main tank now too. The tank is rated at 6 gal. Last time I ran the tank nearly dry I put in 5.8 gals and the bike was still running on the main. probably on fumes thou. LOL So gets scary thou when those fuel bars disappear, but knowing you have 3 + gals on tap is a huge relief.
Larry

Thanks all. I'd love a real aux tank, but I'm not going to spend the $. I ordered a pair of 30 oz MSR bottles off Amazon. That's just shy of a gallon, and should give me some peace of mind.

Oops. Just shy of a half gallon.

Man, you guys are so nice. On most boards that would have been the target of two weeks worth of ridicule.

I know where you guys are coming from and as for me when mine shows 1/4 of a tank I start looking for fuel. Besides at my age of 73 a slight rest stop and a drink of water and I am ready to ride again.

I know where you guys are coming from and as for me when mine shows 1/4 of a tank I start looking for fuel. Besides at my age of 73 a slight rest stop and a drink of water and I am ready to ride again.

Great to see you back after so long away Jenkins!

Larry...pics please. You're talking about the exact topic I've been researching for months.

Ed

Thanks Mr. Yogi. 500 bucks. Oooh boy........:eek:

Yeah, that's what I thought at first when I saw the price. At that time it was $554. But I did some more thinking and realized that 1) I needed an aux tank since my main is only 3.7 gal, 2) the kit comes with everything but labor 3) the way it's designed to be installed I don't have to give up any existing luggage space to pack it and 4) it's permanent; no put-it-on-take-it-off depending on where I plan to travel.

I see you have found a less expensive solution. :yes: I thought I'd just throw in a few things just in case you decide to upgrade later or maybe someone else is looking for a solution with the above advantages. ;)

Yeah, that's what I thought at first when I saw the price. At that time it was $554. But I did some more thinking and realized that 1) I needed an aux tank since my main is only 3.7 gal, 2) the kit comes with everything but labor 3) the way it's designed to be installed I don't have to give up any existing luggage space to pack it and 4) it's permanent; no put-it-on-take-it-off depending on where I plan to travel.

I see you have found a less expensive solution. :yes: I thought I'd just throw in a few things just in case you decide to upgrade later or maybe someone else is looking for a solution with the above advantages. ;)

The "tour tank" looks interesting. I have plenty of room in the body to mount one permanently. I don't want to start with pumps and stuff to refill the main tank though. I believe I could get the aux tank higher then the carb with no trouble, but am not confident it would work real well. Way high up, like on the luggage rack should work. But I was thinking something more permanent would be better.

Meanwhile. I have a couple of fuel bottles in the trunk............

Thanks o everyone for all the Feedback...especially Carbon One for the pics of your set-up...I'm gonna go with the Tour Tank and Electric Fuel Pump to give me 2x my current Mileage. With a properly installed Aux Tank, I'll have that L'il bit of peace of mind I used to get when I took a Big Milk Jug on a Surveillance, LOL!

Ed

My bike has a carb, and no fuel pump. I guess that leaves me no choice but to use a "refill the main tank" setup. All I can figure is I'd have to "Tee" the main line between the main tank and on/off/reserve shunt, and add an on/off shunt between the Tee and aux tank. I presume I'd have to shut down, set the original Honda shunt to off, open the aux shunt, and start pumping. Then the aux tank fuel would flow into the main tank through its pickup at the bottom.

Is that right? Better idea?

It all depends on where you plan on Mounting the Tank. If you went with a 1.5 gal. Tank from Tour Tank it measures 6"x16" (which would fit inside your Tour Pak) and gravity feed it into that Tee you mentioned. That way when your stock Tank was getting low you could swith off your stock fuel valve, open your Aux Tank fuel valve and run off the Gravity feed of the Aux Tank. If you want to mount it low, an Electric fuel pump will be needed to pump the fuel up to the Tee (I think)...

It all depends on where you plan on Mounting the Tank. If you went with a 1.5 gal. Tank from Tour Tank it measures 6"x16" (which would fit inside your Tour Pak) and gravity feed it into that Tee you mentioned. That way when your stock Tank was getting low you could swith off your stock fuel valve, open your Aux Tank fuel valve and run off the Gravity feed of the Aux Tank. If you want to mount it low, an Electric fuel pump will be needed to pump the fuel up to the Tee (I think)...

Well, since I have so much room under the body of the trike, I can't see mounting it externally on a rack or seat. In that set up, at best I could get it slightly higher than the main tank, but way in the back near the trunk. Between gravity and whatever vacuum is generated, I'm not confidant in the flow being sufficient.

But I'm no mechanic, so I really don't know. Mounting the tank would be done regardless. I guess I could try it first, and add a pump later......

this topic has happened before, and the most common comment is how dangerous it is to carry gas. that being said, riding a bike is dangerous.

i carry 2.5 gallons of extra gas in my trailer. or if no trailer the largest msp?? bottles. ( the ones for those little gas stoves it's about 32 oz of gas and i carry two. leak proof and dang near indestructible.

i carry some xtra gas all the time because as a senior citizen i can't remember to keep my zipper up, let alone remember to stop for gas.

as for that big fire ball every one keeps talking about when you get hit. if you see me on fire bring marshmellows

Marshmellows should be all you need if you are forgetting to zip up !!!:(

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png