Oil Press/Temp Sending Unit

Doug D.

"Tin Man"
Gold Member
May 5, 2012
Vienna, MO USA
This is for the guys running this type of oil pump with a spin-off filter.

Has anyone put a sending unit in the port just behind the filter? Did you have any trouble with the sender restricting oil flow to/from the filter? This one came with long block I just bought, but there wasn't any documentation with it. Can't seem to find an answer in any of the descriptions on the various sites that sell these.

Thanks!

Peace and ride safe!

Attachments

• 20170430_190631.jpeg
    20170430_190631.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170430_190648.jpeg
    20170430_190648.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 132
I dunno.

With the placement of that boss it make me wonder if something is in there.

Looks like an ideal place for an over pressure relief valve to protect the filter on cold start.

Look in there and see. I have seen others that had a port for accessory use.

I'm not sure what that SHCS is on the side of the pictured adapter is either, sorry. I agree w/Rex, in that it is likely a pressure bypass of some type.

I'd try going back to the builder you purchased the engine from for info on the filter adapter, maybe.

Is there no port on your block where the factory oil pressure sending unit was once mounted?

I'm not sure you could place a temp sending unit in that area, as well as the oil line to your pressure gauge.

Are you planning on mechanical or electric gauging?

Last edited:
on my engine my Oil pressure sending unit is as shown below (see it just below the cooler in the diagram) and my Oil temp sending unit is is at location 1 Its the cap nut for the Oil pressure relief valve

Capture.JPG

I think it's like what Rex stated. That has a relief check ball in the filter housing. I believe it's a little ball and spring............If my memory serves me correct. I don't think it would be a very good idea to put a pressure gauge in there.

However, you could pull the plug, as Rex said, and check to make sure.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png