2004 Road King: Frankenstein Kit

I'm running 30 psi in the rear tires. Some people may want to run less. The rear end is a dana 30, so it will ride differently than your MT.

Frankenstein is pretty open about the parts they use. The brake calipers are HHI, so brake shoes and caliper rebuild kits are easy to get. The instructions even include the part numbers for the differential seal, differential bearings, axle bearings, and brake pads.

I went to their page and pulled up the quick instructions and they seem to be pretty simple. But they did not mention reinstalling the exhaust. Did you need to buy anything different to put your exhaust on or did your stock ones just mount right back up?

I went to their page and pulled up the quick instructions and they seem to be pretty simple. But they did not mention reinstalling the exhaust. Did you need to buy anything different to put your exhaust on or did your stock ones just mount right back up?

You install s-bends for the exhaust to clear the rear end and new mufflers. It is very straightforward, so instructions aren't needed. If you get the premium combo kit, it has everything you need.

I've been debating for the last 3 months, but I finally took the plunge and ordered my trike kit for my 2004 Road King Classic.

I ordered the Frankenstein Premium Combo kit (trike kit, exhaust, and triple tree) with dual brakes and the parking brake kit.

I'll take pictures and post them here as I work through the conversion.

Is your avatar a picture of the conversion? Lets see more pics...

Hi

I am new to the forum, I have a 2004 road king trike with a conversion done by Lehman.

Rode 2 wheels since 1986 but now have a trike. Never rode a trike before, so my question is:

I have a lot of wobble. Some says it normal for a trike.

On 2 wheels I could ride no hands. I can only do that on the trike if I want to crash. There still needs to be a good grip with both hands during normal riding.

Tires are inflated good. new front tires.

There is also I would call it "slippage" on curves.

Any of this some familiar?

The new trikes have a front stabilizing bar. Did you add one?

thanks in advance

John

Hi

I am new to the forum, I have a 2004 road king trike with a conversion done by Lehman.

Rode 2 wheels since 1986 but now have a trike. Never rode a trike before, so my question is:

On 2 wheels I could ride no hands. I can only do that on the trike if I want to crash. There still needs to be a good grip with both hands during normal riding.

thanks in advance

John

First things first....

Rear tires 20-22psi

Front tire 38-40psi

Rear air shocks 15 psi to START and adjust according to ride, up or down.

The head shake can be caused by improper air pressure. head shake is associated with most 3 wheeled motorcycles.

A steering damper will stiffen the steering making it more difficult to steer quickly.

If you don't have an E-Z Steer Triple Tree, and many Lehman's don't, you might want an E-Z Steer if after above adjustments don't improve the head shake.

Maybe 4.5 Degree without a damper.

Hi

thanks in advance

John

I've lowered the tire pressure in the rear tires to about 26 psi and have 32 psi in the front. I don't have any wobble problems and can take my hands off the bars. When I let go of the bars the bike drifts a with the crown of the road; I can keep it straight with two fingers on the bars, it tracks pretty true. So far I have about 1300 miles on the conversion. I've had it up to 95 mph on the highway and can ride easily with only one hand resting on the bars. I do not have a steering damper.

Does your trike have a triple tree with the proper rake?

I don't know what you mean by "slippage", but I can get the rear wheels to slide a little if I take a turn/curve really fast.

I don't have a triple tree with the proper rake?

not sure what they do.

I'll recheck my tires and try different setting.

Haven't touch the steering nut, not even sure where it is, duh on the column I assure.

if you haven't guess, I'm not a wrench.

J

I don't have a triple tree with the proper rake?

not sure what they do.

I'll recheck my tires and try different setting.

Haven't touch the steering nut, not even sure where it is, duh on the column I assure.

if you haven't guess, I'm not a wrench.

J

As Ted mentioned, the stem nut needs to be tighter than on a 2 wheeler. It is a star nut under the large nut shown in the first picture of the #13 post in this thread. This nut holds the triple tree on. When it is tighter, it puts more preload on the bearings.

When you convert a bike to a trike, most people change the triple tree to make the trike steer easier. There is a discussion on rake and trail on the Frankenstein website.

http://www.frankensteintrikes.com/components_tripletrees_main.html

You should check to see if your triple tree is stock or if it has been changed. The photos on post #13 show the stock tree on my bike (black) and the new one I installed (silver). My new triple tree came with my kit, but others also make/sell good trees.

Papa Zook, the founder of triketalk, sells triple trees and can help make sure you get the right one.

I've been debating for the last 3 months, but I finally took the plunge and ordered my trike kit for my 2004 Road King Classic.

I ordered the Frankenstein Premium Combo kit (trike kit, exhaust, and triple tree) with dual brakes and the parking brake kit.

I'll take pictures and post them here as I work through the conversion.

Great thread for a new guy looking at trikes. I am looking to purchase the Frankenstein kit and have a question about their mufflers. I love the sound of my bike and wondered how their exhaust sounds.

Thanks,

David

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png