To Trike or Not to Trike (Help purchasing first Trike)

[/COLOR]

Theres a book by John Muir.....;Titled How to keep your Volkswagen alive for the complete idiot.....Back in the 70's i kept two bugs and a buggy alive using that book....

Up till then i never owned even one metic tool...

There is a knowledgeable forum/board that has been very helpful (but yes I'm looking for my book stash still from the early 90s )

Remove the heater components ( Yes or no ???) But but they make the motor look bone stock and give Trike powerplant that straight outta a Beetle gravitas ...

I have the heater boxes taken out of mine. No need for them. I am running a 4 into 1 header. Works great.

I purchased the exhaust tubes & chrome plugs to remove heater boxes & hoses , will wait until after Showing the trike at Big Bike Weekend judged show & shine to make changes , and I will see if the straight outta the Beetle power plant:Joker3: Homebuilt One -Off configuration gives my rig extra gravitas (compared to the Money pit & Vintage Gel Coat & Chrome Trike Kit /Showroom new glamorous 21st century offerings ...:qpnmt:

Trans oil draining now ,there was some metal sludge & shavings on the Plug Magnet :confused::(:blush: (But not much more than my 1978 Maico Magnum 250 after half a season of hour long off road GPs in the Vintage/Bomber Class)

Put in STP 80 / 90 and buttoned it back up . Gotta get entry for Big Bike Weekend judged Show & Shine that Sunday (20.00$ day of show ) and find out if I should not only enter Trike in Trike Class but also how much it is for second Bike ( 1975 Replica of Harley Baja 500 Winner) for Novelty Class ...

Put in STP 80 / 90 and buttoned it back up . Gotta get entry for Big Bike Weekend judged Show & Shine that Sunday (20.00$ day of show ) and find out if I should not only enter Trike in Trike Class but also how much it is for second Bike ( 1975 Replica of Harley Baja 500 Winner) for Novelty Class ...

They asked me to display the Harley Racer (No Charge) at the Show and said if I want the Harley entered it would be 15.00 for it to be Judged in a class in the Judged Show & Shine) . Still not sure if they will have a Novelty or Trike Class , so it may be "Special Construction" or "Motorcycle Pre 1970"

They asked me to display the Harley Racer (No Charge) at the Show and said if I want the Harley entered it would be 15.00 for it to be Judged in a class in the Judged Show & Shine) . Still not sure if they will have a Novelty or Trike Class , so for VW Trike it may be "Special Construction" or "Motorcycle Pre 1970"

Make America Trike Again

Gator,

Post a pic of your 78 Maico. Here’s my 78 400. I bought it new in 1978 for $2800. That was alot of money back then. Lots of great and painful memories from those days.

Love the look of your very original 400 , I vintage raced mine from 97-2000 then retired it to the Game Room for display , Mine has a lot of Wheelsmith things going on for it and a pair of Works Performance "Gil Gassers" Gas Shocks rebuilt by Gil Vallaincourt himself (Pioneer of Motorcycle High Performance Suspension ) as he was a Friend from our Culver City Days . He has since passed and I was lucky enough to have known him and attend his memorial . Parts for these beasts are getting scarcer ( Mine was a full Resto with Help of 'Maico Bill" Maico Guru Bill Leonardo of Simi Valley and I was Sponsored by Beverly Hills Mercedes Benz and Vinny Mandzak (The Car Guy) another Famous Vintage Race Promoter (Revived the Catalina GP) and Racer (Two Time D37 Vintage GP #1 Plate Holder) who also has since passed on .

So far I have changed Engine Oil , Changed Transaxle Oil , Adjusted Valves , checked Carb settings , adjusted belt ,changed Air Filter (EMPI Pod) and added a few chrome bits ( Coil strap , dip stick , Oil Cap , Vintage Goldwing Headlight (Big & simple with shallow chrome bucket & takes H4 Automotive bulb)

Trike is still running strong and I’m going to do a few “ Period “ parts upgrades . I still have not removed heater boxes lol and am very interested in nicer front end eventually...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png