MotorTrike "New Driveshaft" issue. Green unit

MAS

Reaction score
Hey All; I know this has been posted in the past but looking for info, don't remember previous thread name.

My old U joint up front gave up the ghost. According to MT the front joint is not serviceable and to contact the dealer who built it for a new setup.

Have done all that, brought the new shaft home and spline will not fit on to output shaft. Went and swapped out front spline with another thinking it was milled wrong. 2nd spline will not fit either, has anyone had issues with getting MT new driveshaft onto the output shaft? I cannot find any burs on output shaft.

2005 Goldwing w/ motor trike adventure conversion (2010)

Old driveshaft grey joints. New driveshaft Green joints

I've replaced two MT driveshafts with the new "green" u-joint. One on a Valkyrie, and the last on my '07 'Wing. I don't remember any particular problems with either. ..And I don't remember if there is an alignment tooth on the output shaft, it's been a few years.

But I will say kudos to MT for developing their new style shaft. I grease my u-joints, front & rear, every 5K miles when I change oil/filter. This GL1800 set has 54K miles with no problems.

It sounds like you may be trying to put the output portion of the front U-Joint assembly onto the engine output shaft. That yoke half is keyed so only the Motor Trike driveshaft will mate up with it... :xszpv::xszpv:

When it comes to replacing their shaft, it's been a while for me too. On many of the brands they use a front u-joint coupler from a GL1500 that slides off the front of the shaft. Both ends have a splined female hole. But each end has a different hole size. Is your design like that, and if so are you trying to install too small of a splined hole over a larger output shaft ???

You have to repace both pieces of the driveshaft. There's one wide tooth on the front portion and it has to line up with the wide tooth on the back portion. I replaced mine (both pieces) 3-4 years ago and MT sent me the entire assembly.

Green driveshaft Unit

Hey all; Thanks for the reply; The green unit (new) I'm putting the small end of the new driveshaft yoke up to the output spline and the keyed end head to the rear differential.

Had a friend, who's a machinist come over and do some measurements and in his words, It ain't gonna fit even with a sludge hammer.

New green unit (small end) .917 inside Bottom side of teeth

Output shaft from motor .943 High side of teeth. That's a .026 difference. So much for quality control.

This is the second unit MT has given, so I will have to wait until Monday and get ahold of them for the second time to yet get a third unit from them.

Hey all; Thanks for the reply; The green unit (new) I'm putting the small end of the new driveshaft yoke up to the output spline and the keyed end head to the rear differential.

Had a friend, who's a machinist come over and do some measurements and in his words, It ain't gonna fit even with a sludge hammer.

New green unit (small end) .917 inside Bottom side of teeth

Output shaft from motor .943 High side of teeth. That's a .026 difference. So much for quality control.

This is the second unit MT has given, so I will have to wait until Monday and get ahold of them for the second time to yet get a third unit from them.

What years/model is your Wing ???

Maybe ship them your old shaft so they can use it as a reference.

What years/model is your Wing ???

Maybe ship them your old shaft so they can use it as a reference.

2005 Wing, 2010 MotorTrike Adventure IRS, I have the complete "New" driveshaft, which couplings are Green that attach to drive shaft and output shaft. The rest of the unit was painted black.

Mark, I have to admit that I've never heard of this situation before but there is a first time for nearly everything. Sure sounds like Motor Trike got a bad batch of front yokes in from whoever they have make them.. That can confuse the dickens out of a otherwise pretty straight forward repair. Hopefully the third time will be the charm. :xszpv: :xszpv:

2005 Wing, 2010 MotorTrike Adventure IRS, I have the complete "New" driveshaft, which couplings are Green that attach to drive shaft and output shaft. The rest of the unit was painted black.

Could MotorTrike be thinking you have a GL1500 or something else ???

Could MotorTrike be thinking you have a GL1500 or something else ???

That's what I was wondering. It's awful hard for a machinist to make a .026 mistake.

Not saying it can't be done. Tho I have replaced both, it was at different times, so no comparison as to size.

MAS, did they give you the retainer loop that installs on the frame? (keeps the shaft from slinging around if the front joint breaks) My 1800 shaft came with the loop, the 1500 shaft did not.

That's what I was wondering. It's awful hard for a machinist to make a .026 mistake.

Not saying it can't be done. Tho I have replaced both, it was at different times, so no comparison as to size.

MAS, did they give you the retainer loop that installs on the frame? (keeps the shaft from slinging around if the front joint breaks) My 1800 shaft came with the loop, the 1500 shaft did not.

Very interesting Dennis!! I have almost zero GL1500 experience so that idea never crossed my mind. I recall now hearing someone say the two were not the same so you just might have hit the nail on the head. :xszpv: :xszpv:

MT Green unit

Hey all;

I have all that the dealer gave me, yoke and driveshaft assembly. Brace or bracket to catch driveshaft. This is the second yoke assembly that I have received. A .026 difference is the problem.

Hey all;

I have all that the dealer gave me, yoke and driveshaft assembly. Brace or bracket to catch driveshaft. This is the second yoke assembly that I have received. A .026 difference is the problem.

That sure sounds like the GL1800 upgraded driveshaft Mark. All except the front splines part that is... I guess Motor Trike is going to have to solve this mystery.. Good luck on getting it all sorted out soon. Fall riding is my favorite time of year and you are missing out!! :xszpv: :xszpv:

Hey All; I know this has been posted in the past but looking for info, don't remember previous thread name.

My old U joint up front gave up the ghost. According to MT the front joint is not serviceable and to contact the dealer who built it for a new setup.

Have done all that, brought the new shaft home and spline will not fit on to output shaft. Went and swapped out front spline with another thinking it was milled wrong. 2nd spline will not fit either, has anyone had issues with getting MT new driveshaft onto the output shaft? I cannot find any burs on output shaft.

2005 Goldwing w/ motor trike adventure conversion (2010)

Old driveshaft grey joints. New driveshaft Green joints

Sorry I can't be of any help but I have a question for you. I also have a '05 GL1800 but with a 2014 Adventure conversion. Just bought the trike a week ago. Today I removed the right cover so I can grease the joint but the zerk is a couple inches to the left of the panel so I can't get a straight in grease gun to it. You have the same issue?

Sorry I can't be of any help but I have a question for you. I also have a '05 GL1800 but with a 2014 Adventure conversion. Just bought the trike a week ago. Today I removed the right cover so I can grease the joint but the zerk is a couple inches to the left of the panel so I can't get a straight in grease gun to it. You have the same issue?

If I recall, the driveline must be removed to properly inspect the joints and to lube the forward one.

I have an '05 Wing with an '06 MT straight axle with the updated driveshaft and had the same problem. So last time I removed the driveshaft to grease the u-joint and splines, I replaced the front u-joint zerk with a 45 degree one. I made certain the zerk was pointing in the 4:00-5:00 direction when tightened. Now I can easily grease the front u-joint when the right side cover is removed.

I have an '05 Wing with an '06 MT straight axle with the updated driveshaft and had the same problem. So last time I removed the driveshaft to grease the u-joint and splines, I replaced the front u-joint zerk with a 45 degree one. I made certain the zerk was pointing in the 4:00-5:00 direction when tightened. Now I can easily grease the front u-joint when the right side cover is removed.

Excellent. Thank you very much! Is it hard to remove the drive shaft?

I have a 2008 Goldwing with a 2016 Motortrike Razor trike kit, it has the green driveshaft, it can be greased in place with no problem, it lines up with the opening beside the master cylinder.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png