• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

front tire on trike

How did you calculate that 1MPH would = 10 per 100. If you do 100 MPH for 1 hour you will cover 100 miles and with the new tire you will cover the same 100 but it will read 101 So more like 10 per 1,000 miles

The speedometer is read off the transmission/rear end of the bike. What may have changed was when you had the bike changed to a trike. The front tire has no bearing on the speedometer at all.
Tom

The speedometer is read off the transmission/rear end of the bike. What may have changed was when you had the bike changed to a trike. The front tire has no bearing on the speedometer at all.
Tom

2 wheel Valks read off the front wheel. No clue if they modify that for a trike.

How did you calculate that 1MPH would = 10 per 100. If you do 100 MPH for 1 hour you will cover 100 miles and with the new tire you will cover the same 100 but it will read 101 So more like 10 per 1,000 miles

John,,,I said it is reading 1 mile over for every 10 miles I ride. (10%)

Tom

BINGO!!!!!! MPA is the same size as a std honda front tire, just more BEEF to it!

I have been reading motorcycle blogs for a few years and the concensus seems to concur on just two brands: The Michelin Pro Active and the Bridgestone Battleax (sp?) 45. Both are good. I have the MPA but riders seem to be leaning toward the BP45 which I may try next, but I run Dyna Beads in mine and thus far no cupping.

I am new to the trike world so I hope this isn't too dumb of question. Am I to understand you are running the larger sized rear tire on the front of the 1800? That asked, is there any other things that have to be addressed to prevent rubbing of fender? I do understand the logic of turning it backwards.
Paint work is about done and I hope to have her together soon.

If you run the larger size tire on the front it will rub the fender. You run a rear tire that is the same size tire as the present front tire. Look at the front tire and order the same size only in a rear tire.

I put the MPA on my Valkyrie trike.
The improvement in handling was dramatic.
I have an on ramp I often use,it's a long sweeping right turn.
I really don't have to steer except for a slight right hand pressure, I also lean into the turn.
With the stock tire I had to really use the push pull method..
Only problem is speedo is off about 1 mile in 10,,(10%)
anyone know how to correct that
??

Can someone explain what front tire size has to do w/speedo accuracy?
Valk different than my Wing?

I think the Valk is just like the 1500 Wing....speedo drive is from the front wheel......

Will not work on the 1800
1st it's and 80 not a 70 series tire and an 80 will rub the fender . ( doesn't on the 1500 )
2nd the 1800 gets its speed info from the transmission not the front wheel as on the 1500.
Sorry .

Will not work on the 1800
1st it's and 80 not a 70 series tire and an 80 will rub the fender . ( doesn't on the 1500 )
2nd the 1800 gets its speed info from the transmission not the front wheel as on the 1500.
Sorry .
Thanks John-I'm sorry, but it is a 70series tire to "correct" the speedo on early 1800's. Was supposed to be corrected w/the 09 model year.
Also, as far as the rubbing goes-there are a lot of car tires being installed on Wings now!!!!!!!!!!
Go to GL1800Riders and check out the "darkside" forum.

thanks-mine is a 1800-I keep reading to install a 70series rear tire to correct the speedo!

Mine has 70 series Tires, but goin' by my ZUMO GPS, and Estill Springs Police Dept. Radar, my Speedometer is 2 mph slow now. When the Gold Wing says "70", Radar says "72"......hafta' always sorta' remember this....ThumbUp

Mine has 70 series Tires, but goin' by my ZUMO GPS, and Estill Springs Police Dept. Radar, my Speedometer is 2 mph slow now. When the Gold Wing says "70", Radar says "72"......hafta' always sorta' remember this....ThumbUp

Yeah, like when you're doin' a hunnert in a school zone . . . :p

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png