Roadsmith Trike Conversion 2018 Gold Wing

They probably all will. However, they have to buy a new Wing first, and then make stuff accordingly. For some manufactures, it can turn into a race to see who's kit is out first, while other manufactures will sit back and watch what the kit makers are making while taking notes of what buyers do and don't like, and tweak their product in hopes to make a better one. Coming out with something new costs money. It takes a lot of funds and resources to design, engineer, produce, and then test a finally product. Also, those resources are not necessarily available as one might hope. If I recall, usually it takes them a couple of years.

Yes, that's how I read it as well. So it's gonna be a while before the 2018 gets triked. With all the resales that will be available, there's plenty of material to trike out. Looks like Mother Honda did not improve access to that air filter. Grrrr!

Though it isn't a massive market, trikes conversions sell bikes. Mother Honda might have provided the most popular kit makers with schematics, wiring diagrams and plans for the new Wing so they can design the trike kits and get them on the market ASAP, and therefore sell some more 2018 Wings. Would be nice, but I doubt it. As GoldWingerGreg pointed out, most likely a year or more.

Another aspect to consider - this is a completely new motorcycle. How many folks will be hesitant to trike a 1st year model and wait to see what bugs there are to work out, and then there is a voiding of warranty by triking a new bike.

Mother Honda might have provided the most popular kit makers with schematics, wiring diagrams and plans for the new Wing so they can design the trike kits and get them on the market ASAP, and therefore sell some more 2018 Wings. Would be nice, but I doubt it. As GoldWingerGreg pointed out, most likely a year or more.

Honda stays tight lipped on everything. They provide nothing to nobody. A trike manufacture has to start by buying, borrowing, or steeling a finished new Wing that had to have come through Honda's dealership network. The other thing that are available are service manual that come through hilminc.com. Service manuals are not yet available.

Honda may be missing the boat by not offering a factory trike version. :confused:

They could do it. All they need to do is team up with a conversation co. , ship them a bunch of front frames , let them assemble, and distribute to there dealers. The cost factor then takes over after that. If there profit margin is not to there liking, it will never happen. As far as designing there own, the tooling cost vs sales would be a large factor. It’s all about the $$$$$

I have a late 2011, or early 2012 conversion, 3 zerk fittings on the drive shaft, maybe they do not need a shot of grease, but I do it anyway. I think about 10K miles more or less. I do not use much force with the grease gun, when I feel it get a bit tight, then I quit. Be good to know about this, it's not a real easy job getting up under there. I guess my question, if it never needs grease, then why the fittings???

I have a late 2011, or early 2012 conversion, 3 zerk fittings on the drive shaft, maybe they do not need a shot of grease, but I do it anyway. I think about 10K miles more or less. I do not use much force with the grease gun, when I feel it get a bit tight, then I quit. Be good to know about this, it's not a real easy job getting up under there. I guess my question, if it never needs grease, then why the fittings???

They eliminated the grease zerks on the newer model trikes, not sure what year.

For years we used u-joints with grease zerks. We switched to sealed joints several years ago because of the difficulty in greasing the front joint. You are on the right maintenance schedule - at least once a year or before a big trip will suffice for most trikes.

For years we used u-joints with grease zerks. We switched to sealed joints several years ago because of the difficulty in greasing the front joint. You are on the right maintenance schedule - at least once a year or before a big trip will suffice for most trikes.

Jim,

Could a person order the newer drive shaft and retro-fit their RS conversion if they wanted a no maintanance drive shaft?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png