Trike Lifting Point - Change Front Tire and Change Fork Seals

B25bsaboy

Apr 27, 2018
Calgary, Alberta
Trike Lifting Point - Change Front Tire and Change Fork Seals

Good evening to you all,

Got my new to me 2008 Honda Goldwing GL-1800Lehman Monarch II trike home this afternoon from the original owner. THis Monarch trike was imported from the USA from the dealer H&H Trikes, Inc and from the paper trail, it was a brand new bike fresh off the assembly line from Marysville, OH. The mileage on this Goldwing is 13,000 original miles.

As with all new to me bikes in the past, I usually take everything apart to do an inspection under all the Tupper Wear. Started at the front and to my horror, discovered that the right fork seal has been leaking for some time. Just tried uploading some photos, but no cigar. From all the motorcycles I’ve restored & experience, the right seal failed.

Some questions for the masses, as I want to do the following:

1. Lift the front end just enough to remove the fron tire to replace with an Avon AV 71 Trike Tire and Paul down the forks to change out the seals.

Question: Where is the lift points under the engine to do this safely?

Second Question: What forks seals work the best for trikes rather than a standard Honda seal?

Third Question: What fork oil weight and brand is recommended?

Fourth Question: Wish I could up load a photo, but is the plumbing on the front forks telling me that this is an ABS setup?

Sorry for all the questions!

Good evening to you all,

Got my new to me 2008 Honda Goldwing GL-1800Lehman Monarch II trike home this afternoon from the original owner. THis Monarch trike was imported from the USA from the dealer H&H Trikes, Inc and from the paper trail, it was a brand new bike fresh off the assembly line from Marysville, OH. The mileage on this Goldwing is 13,000 original miles.

As with all new to me bikes in the past, I usually take everything apart to do an inspection under all the Tupper Wear. Started at the front and to my horror, discovered that the right fork seal has been leaking for some time. Just tried uploading some photos, but no cigar. From all the motorcycles I’ve restored & experience, the right seal failed.

Some questions for the masses, as I want to do the following:

1. Lift the front end just enough to remove the fron tire to replace with an Avon AV 71 Trike Tire and Paul down the forks to change out the seals.

Second Question: What forks seals work the best for trikes rather than a standard Honda seal?

Fourth Question: Wish I could up load a photo, but is the plumbing on the front forks telling me that this is an ABS setup?

Sorry for all the questions!

I use a flat paddle-jack just beneath the front of the engine, behind the oil filter.

91qF1WfyJkL._SX425_.jpg

I use All Balls seals and bushing kits, while disassembled replace the bushings.

I use 10W Synthetic ATF and don't overfill (see explanation below).

Fourth Question:
Wish I could up load a photo, but is the plumbing on the front forks telling me that this is an ABS setup?

The caliper covers would have ABS logo in them if it had ABS. Go to the photo upload page for instructions. Contact H&H to see if it had ABS. Regardless, the ABS would have been subverted when converted to a trike.

kap-linker-remklauw-goldwing-gl1800.jpg

Reasoning behind ATF for forks:

I do a lot of fork seal and fluid changes on Harleys and Hondas. Standard fork oil seems not to last nearly as long as the ATF. I have re-serviced forks at 20,000 miles and found the ATF to be virtually clean, where the normal fork oil was like mud and full of aluminum from wear.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png