Hood Allignment

truk4u

Jun 11, 2018
Polk City, FL
My hood has a gap on both sides. I have removed all rubber stops front and rear and also removed the 2 locking mechanisms and the hood will not lay flat. I assume there is an adjustment up front, but I’m not clear on what needs adjusted. I see no sign of any previous damage.

3FD7F06B-761A-46BA-80B5-2C1D52D72D7C.jpeg

Tom did this just happen? Or is the trike new to you and this is the way it was. Also which body fiberglass or plastic? The locking system is different between the 2. Just with what I see something is holding it from going completely closed. Leave a wrench in the way?

I just got it and that is the way it was. No wrench in the way. I think it's ABS and not fiberglass, 494. It will lock in place when closed with no problem, it just doesn't look right. There is no damage or bent linkage up front, everything looks good.

The front hinge with the hood open you should see 2 bolts on each side. And those will effect how it adjusts also. If you do mess with these, mark your hinge location with tape so you can use that as a guide . Your body will tell you plastic or fiberglass. Look on the side, fiberglass will be smooth and plastic will have a seam even to the back of the front seat.. Adjusting the hood is a LOT of trial and error so have patience! Tomg

Thanks Tom, but you lost me on the fiberglass/plastic comment and seam to the back of the front seat. Are you talking about the exterior? Here’s a pic if it helps..

CE4729A1-F63E-4909-BD65-9B56B7C7C9ED.jpeg

I did mine a few months ago because it was rubbing on the coolant reservoir. I loosened up the left side bolts and slid it forward about 1/4" and everything is good now. I did have to move the hood locks back a bit to get it lock correctly. I don't think doing this will close your gap. It seems like the hood needs to come down farther. You would have to adjust everything and that isn't easy. There is a thread on this and some answers from Richard. Rick

Rocket, mine is also hitting the coolant tank. I think my next course of action is to loosen the 2 bolts on each site, remove the shocks and see if I can get it better lined up.

Rocket, mine is also hitting the coolant tank. I think my next course of action is to loosen the 2 bolts on each site, remove the shocks and see if I can get it better lined up.

This sure makes me wonder about the difference between the 08/09 years as my coolant tank is no where near the shocks so I'm a bit confused as to why you need to disconnect them. Tomg

The coolant tank is not near the shocks, I’m taking off hoods struts (shocks) to make sure they are not holding the hood from going down and mating with the lower part. Right now I have removed the coolant tank, hood locks and rubber stops next to the hood locks. The hood will still not set flush as seen in the pictures. It’s not hitting on anything I can see, so possibly the shocks are holding back the closure, may be the wrong size.

The coolant tank is not near the shocks, I’m taking off hoods struts (shocks) to make sure they are not holding the hood from going down and mating with the lower part. Right now I have removed the coolant tank, hood locks and rubber stops next to the hood locks. The hood will still not set flush as seen in the pictures. It’s not hitting on anything I can see, so possibly the shocks are holding back the closure, may be the wrong size.

Thats a possibility if they were changed out

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png