Tri Glide Legend Suspension

trikermutha

Oct 13, 2010
USA
Has anyone checked out and installed the Legend air suspension system on there Tri Glide? (Rear Shocks)

If so, is it worth the money versus the stock Tri Glide rear shocks.

I would like better better dampening when driving over bumpy terrian.

:Monster:

I installed the Legend Air Ride suspension on my 07 CVO Ultra w/ Lehman conversion a little over a year ago, and am very satisfied with the results.
The ride is much better than the standard rear shocks that came on the bike.
I can adjust ride height / firmness for one-up or two-up riding by just increasing / decreasing air pressure via the handlebar mounted push buttons.

Other than the TG triple trees, the best addition I've made to my scooter.

Hepengr

Hello new to this site, have never heard of the Legend air ride, is it a Harley part or Lehman.
They sell air ride suspensions for all types of vehicles. The one I am looking at is for the Tri Glide but a bit pricey.

Part # LT108-B (black) they do sell a chrome version

They sell air ride suspensions for all types of vehicles. The one I am looking at is for the Tri Glide but a bit pricey.

Part # LT108-B (black) they do sell a chrome version

I'll say its pricey, lots of bananas for that puppy. FWIW I'm ok with the factory shock they seem to do fine for my wife and I.

I'll say its pricey, lots of bananas for that puppy. FWIW I'm ok with the factory shock they seem to do fine for my wife and I.
Everything we put into the Tri Glides eats our pocket books. But I think the rear shocks need to be updated since they are the same shocks as the Ultras. The roads in my area are not the best to drive on at times. a nice flat surface is no problem. Anything I can do to keep my old beat up body from getting rattled is worth every penny to me.

The main reason I went for the Legend Air Ride suspension over the standard rear suspension(s) that came on the ultra (reused for the Lehman trike conversion) was the softer ride.

I weigh 140 lbs and my wife about the same. The stock rear suspensions were just too stiff (no matter the amount of air pressure) to provide a smooth ride for either one-up or two-up riding.

The standard HD suspension(s) use springs with air pressure assist. If the spring rate is too great for the load then you get a stiff ride. The Legend Air ride suspension doesn't contain springs, but instead a Kevlar air-bladder to support the weight at the rear of the trike. Regulating the air pressure in the bladders will change both the ride height and stiffness of the suspension.

The Legend suspension kit comes with a 12V air pump (that mounts under the battery) that is controlled by a handle bar mounted push-button switch. Depressing one button allows you to increase air pressure, while pressing the other button allows you to decrease air pressure.

I simply load the trike with people and cargo, increase the air pressure until the suspensions are extended fully (ride height at maximum) then slowly decrease the air pressure until the ride height drops slightly. This procedure seems to produce the best ride with the particular load that you are carrying.

I also adjust the rear tire pressure according to the load so that I have some deflection in the sidewall of the radial tires. I typically run 18 - 20 psi in the rear tires without the tires overheating (here in the high Arizona heat).

Hepengr :D

The main reason I went for the Legend Air Ride suspension over the standard rear suspension(s) that came on the ultra (reused for the Lehman trike conversion) was the softer ride.

I weigh 140 lbs and my wife about the same. The stock rear suspensions were just too stiff (no matter the amount of air pressure) to provide a smooth ride for either one-up or two-up riding.

The standard HD suspension(s) use springs with air pressure assist. If the spring rate is too great for the load then you get a stiff ride. The Legend Air

ride suspension doesn't contain springs, but instead a Kevlar air-bladder to support the weight at the rear of the trike. Regulating the air pressure in the

bladders will change both the ride height and stiffness of the suspension.

The Legend suspension kit comes with a 12V air pump (that mounts under the

battery) that is controlled by a handle bar mounted push-button switch. Depressing one button allows you to increase air pressure, while pressing the other button allows you to decrease air pressure.

I simply load the trike with people and cargo, increase the air pressure until the suspensions are extended fully (ride height at maximum) then slowly decrease the air pressure until the ride height drops slighty. This procedure seems to produce the best ride with the particular load that you are carrying.

I also adjust the rear tire pressure according to the load so that I have some deflection in the sidewall of the radial tires. I typically run 18 - 20 psi in the rear tires without the tires overheating (here in the high Arizona heat).

Hepengr :D

Yes I agree on the stock Harley shocks. They are Ok but could use improvement.

The new Lendend Air Ride Systems now mount the air compressor under the bike in between the frame rails.

I dont think I want to try and lower my tire pressure, I see your point on making it a softer ride but I would still be worried on premature wear or blowout of a tire on a trike.

If anything I would try a new set of tires that are made to absorb the road bumps better. Example: Goodyear comfort tread tires.

I've actually changed out my rear tires for two reasons: More torque at the

rear wheels and ride.

07 UC's were high geared to begin as a bike. When I had the conversion made the installer mounted Dunlop 225/60R16's on the rear which are a large diameter than the standard bike rear tire making the high gearing problem worse. With the additional weight of the trike - the performance off the line wasn't good and it was difficult to get started on an uphill slope.

The trike also road like a truck and shook badly at 65 MPH. Had the rear tires

spun balanced a couple of times but didn't help much. Did my homework on tires vs. ride comfort and chose Michelin Pilot Exacto's in the 205/55R16 size which are of a smaller OD than the standard bike rear tire.

The new tires made an improvement in the ride, the shake went away, and I have an overall gear ratio that is more suited for the trike (without having to change out the transmission sprocket as alot of people have done).

I was also concerned with running lower than stated air pressure in the rear tires of the trike. I read several of the threads regarding tire pressure on this forum and decided to take the advice given and lower the tire pressure. I've monitored both the tire temp (with an IR gun), and tire pressure during trips, and haven't experienced a significant rise in temperature or pressure, even on 100+ degree summer days.

hepengr:D

I've actually changed out my rear tires for two reasons: More torque at the

rear wheels and ride.

07 UC's were high geared to begin as a bike. When I had the conversion made the installer mounted Dunlop 225/60R16's on the rear which are a large diameter than the standard bike rear tire making the high gearing problem worse. With the additional weight of the trike - the performance off the line wasn't good and it was difficult to get started on an uphill slope.

The trike also road like a truck and shook badly at 65 MPH. Had the rear tires

spun balanced a couple of times but didn't help much. Did my homework on tires vs. ride comfort and chose Michelin Pilot Exacto's in the 205/55R16 size which are of a smaller OD than the standard bike rear tire.

The new tires made an improvement in the ride, the shake went away, and I have an overall gear ratio that is more suited for the trike (without having to change out the transmission sprocket as alot of people have done).

I was also concerned with running lower than stated air pressure in the rear tires of the trike. I read several of the threads regarding tire pressure on this forum and decided to take the advice given and lower the tire pressure. I've monitored both the tire temp (with an IR gun), and tire pressure during trips, and haven't experienced a significant rise in temperature or pressure, even on 100+ degree summer days.

hepengr:D

Sounds like you are all setup and good with running lower tire pressures.

I should have my Legend Air Shocks soon and will have to wait till winter is over for me to test ride the Tri Glide with the new air ride installed.

Everything we put into the Tri Glides eats our pocket books. But I think the rear shocks need to be updated since they are the same shocks as the Ultras. The roads in my area are not the best to drive on at times. a nice flat surface is no problem. Anything I can do to keep my old beat up body from getting rattled is worth every penny to me.

I believe they are a different part number than the shocks that come on the Ultra. I know what you mean about eating at the pocket book:yes: my wallet has smoke rolling off it still.

I believe they are a different part number than the shocks that come on the Ultra. I know what you mean about eating at the pocket book:yes: my wallet has smoke rolling off it still.
Yea the part numbers are different but overall its a touring shock..Maybe just a heavier spring.

The Lengend Air Ride system is all air no spring to bounce like the Tri Gide shocks would do.

Yea no kidding I dont think the pocket book will stop smoking for sometime...LOL

Has anyone checked out and installed the Legend air suspension system on there Tri Glide? (Rear Shocks)

If so, is it worth the money versus the stock Tri Glide rear shocks.

I would like better better dampening when driving over bumpy terrian.

:Monster:
I am getting ready to put it on a 2010 Ultra Tri Glide that is super customized. Just got thru putting a 110 screaming eagle in it. I have experienced on occasion bottoming out so, this is why I am putting the new legend system on it. Will report back as soon as it is on. SHould be about two weeks.

I am getting ready to put it on a 2010 Ultra Tri Glide that is super customized. Just got thru putting a 110 screaming eagle in it. I have experienced on occasion bottoming out so, this is why I am putting the new legend system on it. Will report back as soon as it is on. SHould be about two weeks.

Welcome aboard yep she sure is a beauty. Congrats

Yea I received my new shocks but its been to cold out here to install on my Tri Glide. Its a balmy 7 deg this morning..
Let us know if your ride is greatly improved or not.

Did you buy direct from Lengend suspension??

An alternative to consider for a "better" ride, than stock, at a lower price.
Progressive shocks.
Have no idea if they help a Tri-Glide -but they made a world of difference on my son's Electra Glide 2 wheeler.
Just a thought.

I went to the Progressive site and did a search but all I found was that infamous phrase "All- except Tri-Glide". I guess they're a little slow in their product development.:yes:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png