What Did You Do To Your Freewheeler Today?

It was 38 degrees and sunny today. Good for a short scoot.

IMG-20211221-144328-001-01.jpg

Good riding today

After changing the shift linkage ( I have always used heim joints with the factory rod)

Now , after changing the entire linkage ( a first for me) the clunk is all but a thing of the past. Up shifts and down no longer clunk, I might miss that NOT:p

The instructions ( from HD ) are wrong, so I did it my way( H D wants the front part put on the outside), this caused a bind, also the chrome cover ( cheap at best) does not fit the arm on the transmission. Not a deal breaker as I used an in store credit

That sounds great no clunking. I will want to go that route. Do you have any install tips on any thing that you did. Maybe a few pics if you could. Thanks.

CaptJim

No pictures yet, if you read the instructions and follow them for your year trike you will not have any problems

THere are many knock offs on the market cheaper, but IMO cheaper is just that. Chose wisely Here is a link, click on details for instruction page

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/...p98obUlUNWvRXox5EqxoCZ24QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Nice pic and that looks a lot better than the original and more rugged. Less Flex.

I have always changed all my shifters to heim joint rod ends. They will last a lifetime and not leave you stranded like the cheap factory joints

This time I opted for the solid linkage seen here with heim joints. I had an in store credit to use;)

You can get heim joints for your stock HD rod here

https://www.bungking.com/heim-joints/

or D K Customs here

https://www.dkcustomproducts.com/pair-of-quality-heim-joints-for-harley-shift-linkage-dk-hj-pair.htm

I installed a heel shift today, I dunno why I waited so long

A note, the box says parts are made in USA, China and Singapore

The lever is pretty light weight, chrome is good. Hardware is good quality, I am OK with this

Note, the pinch bolts are now thru bolts with self locking nuts, a big improvement IMO

You need more stuff in that garage john , I can help ya with that :Shrug:

LOL! I've got to get rid of some of the stuff in there. I actually do a lot of shop work out there. If I were to turn the camera around you'd see my workbench and storage cabinets where my gun stock and recoil pad work gets done. I test fire some small caliber stuff out there as well. Nothing big, don't want to upset the neighbors too much :)

I had a Dr visit today, it was colder than normal here this morning@32 degrees when I left the house I had my chaps on so it was not too bad It was nice to have my heel shifter on my 21 Freewheeler, it got a work out today:p

Yeah I hear y'all are getting some brisk weather down there. Talking to my buddy in Port Charlotte yesterday and it was a high of 50. Did I mention I hate winter? ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTRuf

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTRuf
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png