Going Wireless ..

2UP3DWN

Feb 12, 2018
DELAND
Hi All. I'm looking for the best solution for a wireless comm for my 2018 TG. I use the CB & Intercom routinely, currently I'm using a J&M Headset 'wired' to the bike.

What do most folks find to be the best setup for wireless..?

thanks in advance,

Matt

The WHIM and the Harley branded Sena headsets are the way to go but you will pay a hefty Harley tax to get there. Currently about $850 from Harley. You can get them slightly cheaper if you shop around. The WHIM install is not too difficult with the right tools. You have to have the Harley dealer flash the software to recognize and activate the WHIM. They may or may not charge for that service. It only takes about 10-15 minutes. The install and setup is detailed here:

I have the WHIM'S module and the Harley headset and if I had to do it again, I would buy the Sena wireless module and the Sena headset. My volume fades in and out while riding out in the desert on flat ground.

I have the WHIM'S module and the Harley headset and if I had to do it again, I would buy the Sena wireless module and the Sena headset. My volume fades in and out while riding out in the desert on flat ground.

Using the sena setup you described, what would be the out the door price for everything.?

I have two riding buddies that have the Sena systems on their 2018 TGs. They didn't say how much they had invested but both couples have all wireless. We traveled a lot this year together and they had a lot of issues, for example at times if the two bikes were more than 100 or 150 yards apart they lost communication. They have been pricing having the CB mod installed on their bikes and getting rid of the Sena's.

I'm not sure that would be any better. Sena makes the headsets for Harley and I think they make the WHIM but I'm not positive about that. If you have a passenger the WHIM is better imo because you can pair two headsets to it. With the Sena FreeWire you'll need two modules and the FreeWire modules.

I know some folks use the wireless BT headsets and like them but I've read about so many problems that I personally wouldn't go that way. I just don't think the technology is fully capable.

I have two riding buddies that have the Sena systems on their 2018 TGs. They didn't say how much they had invested but both couples have all wireless. We traveled a lot this year together and they had a lot of issues, for example at times if the two bikes were more than 100 or 150 yards apart they lost communication. They have been pricing having the CB mod installed on their bikes and getting rid of the Sena's.

I really think CB is a better choice for bike to bike communication as they have unfortunately learned.

I had the CB Module installed shortly after buying it last year... it's insane to me that they made it an option rather than standard...

would be nice to get rid of the wires... but it sounds like the technology and cost simply isn't there yet..

I had the CB Module installed shortly after buying it last year... it's insane to me that they made it an option rather than standard...

would be nice to get rid of the wires... but it sounds like the technology and cost simply isn't there yet..

We probably spent 4 weeks together this summer/fall together riding (TN, NC, VA). I am guessing we stopped in 6 or 8 Harley dealerships during that time. They asked for advise at each one reference the best all around communication available. Almost every dealership had someone who would tell them to just go with the CB set up for distance and reliability.

I don't use any type of communication and probably never will but they always have and really like it.

CB Radio is a common radio to have and chances are the other person would have one also. I've joined in on riding with other bikes on the road and we connect on a CB Radio. Riding in groups they are good to have also. I have the HD Headset attached to my helmet with the mike that can be moved around. I clip the cable to my shirt or jacket. Doesn't bother me at all.

If a person already had the cb, could he not just purchase the wireless headset & use it with the cb? Would that not work for getting rid of the wire?

good to hear. Would the whim be needed? Thanks

Yes the WHIM is required along with the H-D branded Sena 20s EVO headsets to give you full functionality (in stereo) of the Harley BoomBox. In other words it will be the same as the corded system but without the cord.

Some users of this system report that it works as advertised yet some seem to have problems. I've looked into it several times but for the $$ involved I can live with the wired system.

Yeah that's a lot of money to just get rid of the wire. Thanks

If it’s for just passenger use , most g/f , wife’s, significant others , have a way to communicate with out saying a word . And we all know the code :D

Like the saying goes; “Get on , hang on, and shut up”.

Is the Sena 30k interchangeable between the different helmets (full, 3/4 and half)? In other words, can I switch it out from a full face to the half helmet without having to buy another set?

Is the Sena 30k interchangeable between the different helmets (full, 3/4 and half)? In other words, can I switch it out from a full face to the half helmet without having to buy another set?

First a BIG caveat . . . I don't own and have never used any Bluetooth headset - Sena or any other brand. But I have done quite a bit of research about these and read many 'technical' and rider reviews, likes, complaints, etc. So my understanding is that the Sena Bluetooth headsets can work with all these different style helmets. But the install is not a five minute job especially on the 3/4, full and modular helmets. So while I do think you could switch it would not be a quick and easy change.

And I'm not sure what model bike you plan to use it on. If a Harley with the Boom!Box you'll need the Harley branded Sena 20s EVO Bluetooth headset to get full stereo sound. The 30k will probably pair up but it will not provide stereo.

I have been using the Sena 20S since it came out and it is very reliable in my opinion. I use the Sena Freewire and find that it is good to go once you figure out how to use it. You can use the same 20S on different helmets but you would have to buy the mount for each helmet it you want to make it easy to change from one to another. I do not do it that way. One thing to be careful of and not all helmets with take the mounting system easily. If you can not use the clamp mount do not use the stick on one. It will fail in the summer. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png