EFI Throttle Body for "Old School" Fans

Mar 20, 2018
Saint Louis
I found this doing some EFI research....

This is a product distributed by Fox Injection. Does it look familiar?

Fox EFI Heritage Throttle Body.jpg

It is called the Heritage Throttle Body and is designed for classic sports car builders/restorers who want the fuel management improvement that EFI affords with the look of the traditional Weber DCOE style carburetors. This carb was used by lots of custom bike builders in the 70's and 80's. It comes in four of the sizes most commonly used by classic car owners; 40, 45 and 48mm.

Hmmmmm......

Weber 2.jpg

Weber 1.jpg

..... I wonder how a big bore M8 would like drinking from straw like that....

Anyway.... you can read more about it at the link below...

https://foxinjection.com/products/heritage-throttle-body

Yep. I think the S&S two throat was their answer to the popularity of Delorto's and Weber's popularity at that time. LOTS of builders and racers used them. Me included. I had a Weber with 6" velocity stacks on my long bike. It was kinda like this one...

Weber 4.jpg

this might void your extended service contract?

I wonder...:confused:

Dante

It would for sure......

Likely won't be installed until next year, as I am learning about timing and timelines for all of this "stuff". My science project was supposed to be done by late summer last year.... looking at the calendar and my torn down trike waiting for parts to come from paint and the front end to be finalized....I significantly underestimated time for "stuff" to get designed, fab'd and finished... So I am collecting motor "stuff" with an expectation of doing the work next Fall. So the engine warranty is safe for this year's riding season. I have already trashed the frame, brakes, body and other elements' warranty with the work done so far....:Dorag:

Reactions: MDO
(Doh)

Well.... A little more homework and many phone calls to folks who really know EFI tuning for the HD Motor (especially the M8) have given me great guidance on this idea.

The short version of the story is.... BAD IDEA

The (plastic) Manifold on the M8 locates the injectors right at the ports into the head. This is where they must be located for fuel/air mixing and mass balance of the fuel's delivery to the fore and aft cylinders to be maintained. The DCOE throttle body concept in the pictures would place the injector many inches from the port. 100% of the folks I talked to advised that I was asking for major imbalances and fuel delivery issues between the two cylinders. Not to mention the fact that a 48 DCOE carb on a 74" or 96" Shovel is not comparable to the needs of the big bore short stroke M8 in volume (grams of fuel/second) or air flow dynamics....

They did say that I could make a manifold to connect the DCOE look-alike throttle body to the stock fuel injector assembly and have essentially a really fancy air box with butterflies... But I kind of think of that like I think of the fake kickers CCI used to sell for electric start evos back in the 80's or wearing a tuxedo t-shirt in your wedding....Its just not right. So I am abandoning any further pursuit of this idea

You may just have to buy a S&S 124 " motor in a box to do want you want.

Seeing how I'm close, I will take your 107 M8 off your hands as I'm sure your work shop has way to many parts. I'll go ahead and pick up your stock wheels too, as they must be in the way.

You can thank me later. :cool:

:clapping::laugh::clapping:

Yes.... There are a lot of well preserved parts, including the aforementioned wheels and tires (only 215 miles on them) that are available a bargain basement prices to move them out of my garage....

The 124" S&S kit may indeed be in the cards as might a 62mm HP Inc Throttle body (in lieu of the above cooler looking non-performing DCOE look-alike) at least it is made of metal.... But there are two things holding me back....

A differential that may not take the additional HP load and CASH!

Perhaps Santa will be good to me again next year like he was this year on the paint and front end....:Santa: (if they ever get finished....)

We definitely got to meet at Doc's for coffee when your back on the road. I went to the auto show around noon with my youngest son & Beth & Doc's were down there.

They had a big motorcycle section.

Yes, they have quite a presence. I am hoping to be back together next month. I am picking up paint the third week of February. Dang front end is still giving me fits! I don't want to tear it down again so I am being patient. You just have to multiply all estimates of completion timing by 10X and you will never be disappointed

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dle54
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png