New trike owner and first new parts

Yabadab

Aug 23, 2018
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Hi everyone,

I will be taking delivery of my new 2019 triglide next week, and was thinking of good accessories to help safety/longevity and rider comfort. I figure I would get the break in and first 1000 miles done pretty quick and then figured I would start with the following parts. Any advice or if the are other recommendations, they would be appreciated!

LED tail lights by Bright Ass Lights. Should be plug and play along with Design Customs LED turn signals

Papa Zook’s rake kit

New air intake to keep cooler air to the engine and keep the engine cleaner. Maybe 587 outlaw model?

CoolMaster Love Jugs

Rear bumper

I think eventually I may do some exhaust improvements as well. I don’t know yet if the rake kit or the air intake will void warranty issues yet. These are a few of the mods to start. Any input or advice is appreciated! Will try to post pics when I get the bike. I got the super fast vivid black!

Thanks for the help!

Congratulations, Wally, on your New Tri Glide!!!

Lots of stuff you can do.

First thing I saw on your list that I would change... even though they are smaller than the Cool Masters, the Mighty Mites do a better job of cooling. Check out the report I did on testing them at this LINK.

Good to see the 587 on there. That will work well, as will the 606.

To give you more ideas, below are two links of things I have done to build out my Tri Glide.

Link 1

Link 2

My focus is similar to yours-

Performance/Power

Longevity/Reliability

Rider/Passenger Comfort

Handling

Safety/Security

Looks

Enjoy your new ride, and don't hesitate to email or call with any questions!

Kevin

Welcome aboard, Wally, & congrats on your new ride. Remember the Tri rear end is much wider that a 2 wheeler, watch that around gas pumps & curbs. Were it me, I would do the rear bumper, the better lights and the Mighty Mites. I would also do a tank lift and the air deflectors from DK. Then I would ride it a while and decide what to spend your money on next! Have fun.

The air intake change is going to void your HD warranty

It is sad the EPA has strangled this upgrade

To keep your warranty intact you are forced by HD because of the EPA to use their products

IMO this is collusion on HD part when they entered into the consent decree with the EPA

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-12/documents/harleydavidson-cd.pdf

You can read it in the above link

Yep, the EPA (one arm of the Feds) are in direct violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty ACT (an other arm of the Feds). Unless & until a court overturns the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the consent decree with the EPA is illegal.

Fortunately it is easy to remove a real air cleaner and put the factory air cleaner back on before taking the bike into the dealership, if it ever needs to go in for warranty work.

Easy enough work around to have ones Trike the way they want it and not get caught up in their illegal and nefarious ripoff.

Kevin

Congratulations on the New ride mine is old so I can't help much but I will say the Mighty Mites are the way to go. I have run them for sometime now and they really make a huge difference. These are small but very effective especially if you opt to get a vertical oil cooler from one of the sponsors "Kevin" LOL. He has a really nice solution to no oil cooler on a heat monster. :Shrug:ride safe Fred

DSC00481.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00487.JPG
    DSC00487.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 209
I went the comfort route (for me) with what really bothered me the most on a long trip.

I replaced the stock grips with Avon air cushion grips & their great.

Then I replaced the brake foot pedal with a Kuryakin extended brake pedal, which is much more ergonomically friendly.

I then added an external crankcase breather of my design and a K&N air filter in the stock box.

This was an noticeable boost in performance, along with DK Customs deluxe tank lift kit for improved cooling.

All these simple improvements were $270. I have a FW, but all these apply to a Tri-Glide.

I later added a HD Tallboy Sundowner seat & a Grasshopper driver backrest, which are perfect for me.

I have threads on the Freewheeler forum showing pictures of these comfort upgrades.

Congratulations, Wally, on your New Tri Glide!!!

Lots of stuff you can do.

First thing I saw on your list that I would change... even though they are smaller than the Cool Masters, the Mighty Mites do a better job of cooling. Check out the report I did on testing them at this LINK.

Good to see the 587 on there. That will work well, as will the 606.

To give you more ideas, below are two links of things I have done to build out my Tri Glide.

Link 1

Link 2

My focus is similar to yours-

Performance/Power

Longevity/Reliability

Rider/Passenger Comfort

Handling

Safety/Security

Looks

Enjoy your new ride, and don't hesitate to email or call with any questions!

Kevin

Kevin,

So the 587 over the 606? Any preference? Also, the riding I do in Florida is more stop and go versus long hauls. I thought the Cool Master was better for that and the Mighty Mites were better for high speed continuous riding? Maybe I have that wrong.

Congratulations on the New ride mine is old so I can't help much but I will say the Mighty Mites are the way to go. I have run them for sometime now and they really make a huge difference. These are small but very effective especially if you opt to get a vertical oil cooler from one of the sponsors "Kevin" LOL. He has a really nice solution to no oil cooler on a heat monster. :Shrug:ride safe Fred

View attachment 68311

Looks like you mounted the Mighty Mites right behind the horn. Did you use the vibration dampening gizmo? Thanks!

View attachment 68311

Are they wired to start when the engine is turned on, or do you have to flip a switch? Thanks!

Kevin,

So the 587 over the 606? Any preference? Also, the riding I do in Florida is more stop and go versus long hauls. I thought the Cool Master was better for that and the Mighty Mites were better for high speed continuous riding? Maybe I have that wrong.

Both the 587 and 606 will flow more air than the engine can eat, so it is just a matter of which look you like best AND if how far the air cleaner sticks out is important, the 587 sticks out a bit less. The 606 stick out about the same as the factory air cleaner, and the 597 about 1" less than factory.

Kevin

Are they wired to start when the engine is turned on, or do you have to flip a switch? Thanks!

I have mine working off the toggle switch they come with

With the can bus system on the newer trikes if I am not mistaken in order for them to work with the ignition a dealer function with the digital tech scanner is needed

Mine are wired to the battery via the supplied fuse

I hope this clears things up for you

I also run mine ALL the time;)

Reactions: MDO
They operate with the switch that is on them neat and functional it is located on the rear portion of the center support. You can see the switch from the picture I posted. I can't tell you enough about how satisfied I am with the performance of them. Fred

Looks like you mounted the Mighty Mites right behind the horn. Did you use the vibration dampening gizmo? Thanks!
there is a heavy duty one that comes with it follow the instructions to the "T" and it will go without a hitch, however a frame mount is offered but it requires removal of the fuel tank but it is much more stable and less viberation to the fans. ride safe Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png