Ongoing 2019 Tri Glide Build-Out w/ lots of photos, videos and observations

Sorry to hear that the saddleman seat cover didn't work out for you, sounded promising, glad Mary found the seat cover, what ever works just keep doing that and sounds like the trash bag is the key, may not look the best but it works

All for now Trampas

Yep! There's a trash bag on it right now. :laugh:

Kevin

Mary now has about 2,000 miles riding with the new FB16's (Passenger Floorboard Relocators).

She says these are one of the best mods I've done to the Trike for her.

Gets her feet/legs further away from the heat, and most importantly gets her thighs OFF of the grab handles.

Always makes me :D when I can do something that makes the ride better for her!

Kevin

Happy wife ... happy life ... :D

Kevin - New to this site, but not to trikes. I have been glued to this thread for over an hour now. Great info, wonderful videos. Love the mods you have done. I have the same Tri Glide, 2019 with same paint scheme. Please don't be offended if I steal some of your ideas and pass them off as my own...lol.

Mark

Kevin - New to this site, but not to trikes. I have been glued to this thread for over an hour now. Great info, wonderful videos. Love the mods you have done. I have the same Tri Glide, 2019 with same paint scheme. Please don't be offended if I steal some of your ideas and pass them off as my own...lol.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the site & Congrats on your 2019 TG. Glad to hear you're liking some of what we've done to ours. Appropriate all you want...just on the DK stuff, send them our way! :)

Kevin

I've mentioned it in another post, but want to update this thread with the info.

As previously mentioned in this thread, my Tri Glide was built*in November of 2018.* It does not have the primary vent.

I recently discovered I am getting transmission oil migrating to the primary in excess of 6 ounces.* (below 6 ounces HD says is "normal")

So I will be taking it in for the warranty installation of the primary vent.*

Everyone I've spoken to that has had this done has seen it solve the oil migration issue.* So I am expecting the same.

Kevin

Kevin, when you said your oil migration was "above 6 ounces", are you talking about that much loss from the tranny in 1,000 miles?

As you know I am starting to monitor mine for this issue. I might as well keep track on exactly how much I think it is transferring in how many miles as I go along.

Kevin, when you said your oil migration was "above 6 ounces", are you talking about that much loss from the tranny in 1,000 miles?

As you know I am starting to monitor mine for this issue. I might as well keep track on exactly how much I think it is transferring in how many miles as I go along.

Yes, 6 ounce or more that migrate from the transmission to the primary...that is the threshold that Harley has set for warranty installation of the Primary Vent.

If it has less than 6 ounce of migration, that is "normal"/"acceptable" (ROFLMAO) and does not warrant a Primary Vent.

I am not sure of the miles...don't remember that part of the bulletin.

Unfortunately, the Dealership has to verify that there is oil migration for Warranty installation of the Primary Vent. This is why I have not had mine done yet.

I need to take it in. They put in the fluids. Then I have to ride X number of miles, then take it back in, and they check again...only then can they do the warranty installation.

Kevin

Yes, 6 ounce or more that migrate from the transmission to the primary...that is the threshold that Harley has set for warranty installation of the Primary Vent.

If it has less than 6 ounce of migration, that is "normal"/"acceptable" (ROFLMAO) and does not warrant a Primary Vent.

I am not sure of the miles...don't remember that part of the bulletin.

Unfortunately, the Dealership has to verify that there is oil migration for Warranty installation of the Primary Vent. This is why I have not had mine done yet.

I need to take it in. They put in the fluids. Then I have to ride X number of miles, then take it back in, and they check again...only then can they do the warranty installation.

Kevin

If less than 6 ounces is bull crap, should never lose anything, with all the bikes I have had never lost a drop, stayed the same until I decided to change it. Damm harley is trying to BS and not do it, if that is the case why does the 2020 models all have the vent, they know they have a problem and just don't want to fix it unless they have to, no wonder harley isn't doing as good as it used to be, my take only.

All for now Trampas

P.S. with all the changes you have done to your trike hope they don't screw you and say not covered because of your changes you have made to your trike, just saying, I know the changes you have done helps the bike but harley has a different mind set

If less than 6 ounces is bull crap, should never lose anything, with all the bikes I have had never lost a drop, stayed the same until I decided to change it. Damm harley is trying to BS and not do it, if that is the case why does the 2020 models all have the vent, they know they have a problem and just don't want to fix it unless they have to, no wonder harley isn't doing as good as it used to be, my take only.

All for now Trampas

P.S. with all the changes you have done to your trike hope they don't screw you and say not covered because of your changes you have made to your trike, just saying, I know the changes you have done helps the bike but harley has a different mind set

Yep, HD has a LONG track record of changing tolerances/specs when issues arise. lol Probably one of the most significant was to change crankshaft runout tolerances on the Twin Cams when they were having trouble with the cranks shifting.

Not worried about warranty. Everything I've done is easily reversed back to stock, if need be. :)

Kevin

I guess if I find my oil migration is 6 ounces or more within 800 to 1,000 miles I will bring it up to a dealer and have them start a warranty process/claim.

As far as them denying any factory warranty on mine possibly because I have aftermarket slip-ons and a different air cleaner, I will just ask the service manager when I initiate the process. He/she shouldn't have a problem telling me if I should put the original parts back on during the testing period and installation of the vent.

I could return it to original in about 45 minutes. Kevin, yours may take a little longer?

ongoing

If you don't lose more than 6 oz they won't do the vent? I guess it would be less problem just to buy the vent kit and do it yourself, 49.00 for the kit. I will probably do it my self just to avoid the dealer hassel.

So far I've had no migration and I've checked it several times. Last two times I've changed the primary fluid I measured what came out and both times it was dead on 32 oz. And checking the tranny dipstick the fluid level is right where it should be.

But my factory warranty expires in mid September and I wonder if I should develop the migration at a later date if Harley would honor a warranty claim to install the vent. Or if ESP would cover it. Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

I guess if I find my oil migration is 6 ounces or more within 800 to 1,000 miles I will bring it up to a dealer and have them start a warranty process/claim.

As far as them denying any factory warranty on mine possibly because I have aftermarket slip-ons and a different air cleaner, I will just ask the service manager when I initiate the process. He/she shouldn't have a problem telling me if I should put the original parts back on during the testing period and installation of the vent.

I could return it to original in about 45 minutes. Kevin, yours may take a little longer?

Yes, maybe about 1 hour.

For Warranty purposes on a 2017 - Up, what automatically gets reported to the mothership is if there is a NON-EPA approved tune. Everything else is at the discretion of the Dealership, UNLESS there happens to be a roving HD area manager on site when your bike is there...They can then see visual changes (A/C, exhaust, etc.) that the digital technician does not see. If they do, good chance they will report it.

So far I've had no migration and I've checked it several times. Last two times I've changed the primary fluid I measured what came out and both times it was dead on 32 oz. And checking the tranny dipstick the fluid level is right where it should be.

But my factory warranty expires in mid September and I wonder if I should develop the migration at a later date if Harley would honor a warranty claim to install the vent. Or if ESP would cover it. Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

Good question. It seems it would, but I would take a look at the ESP fine print to see if it were excluded.

I think it is $249 to have the Dealership install it. If you purchase the kit yourself, and install it yourself, I believe the cost of the Primary Vent kit is only $49

Kevin

Yes, maybe about 1 hour.

For Warranty purposes on a 2017 - Up, what automatically gets reported to the mothership is if there is a NON-EPA approved tune. Everything else is at the discretion of the Dealership, UNLESS there happens to be a roving HD area manager on site when your bike is there...They can then see visual changes (A/C, exhaust, etc.) that the digital technician does not see. If they do, good chance they will report it.

Good question. It seems it would, but I would take a look at the ESP fine print to see if it were excluded.

I think it is $249 to have the Dealership install it. If you purchase the kit yourself, and install it yourself, I believe the cost of the Primary Vent kit is only $49

Kevin

You do it yourself ... they won't warrantee the kit

I would just transfer the fluid manually .. syringe

If you don't lose more than 6 oz they won't do the vent? I guess it would be less problem just to buy the vent kit and do it yourself, 49.00 for the kit. I will probably do it my self just to avoid the dealer hassel.

Yeah, I may do that myself, just to avoid going back and forth to the dealership...save about 3 or 4 100+ mile round trips.

You do it yourself ... they won't warrantee the kit

I would just transfer the fluid manually .. syringe

I don't know if they're still doing it (probably are), when they fill it for the test they put a seal on the trans fill plug, if it is broken, then they have to start the test over again.

Dunno if they put some sort of a seal on the primary cover.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png