Ongoing 2019 Tri Glide Build-Out w/ lots of photos, videos and observations

My riders backrest that I have on my 2019 TG has seen well over 200,000 miles on previous bikes and trikes...the padding is worn out. Going to be looking at it and see if I can replace the padding in it, or if it is finally time to get a new backrest.

This is either the 3rd or 4th bike it has been on. :xzqxz:

Kevin

Ask Grasshopper, maybe they will help.

I was curious Kevin, have you had your tranny migration issue fixed yet?

Ask Grasshopper, maybe they will help.

I was curious Kevin, have you had your tranny migration issue fixed yet?

Yeah, the Grasshopper backrests are nice. I have one on my Softail. Showed my lumpy backrest to Mary the other day, I think she is going to pull the cover and put some new comfort foam in there....if that does not work out, I probably will go with a Grasshopper.

Regarding transmission transfer to the primary, I have NOT done the vent yet. The last month has been quite a series of unanticipated events. We are still working at getting back to "normal".

I have decided I will be installing the vent myself. Need to order it (it's $50) and then take the time to put it in. Probably will get it done in November.

I could get it done under warranty...but it will cost less in time and hassle just to pay the $50 and do it myself. We'll probably make a video of the process.

Kevin

Hoping you guys will be at the shop in 10 days or so Kevin. Wanting to bring a buddy from Savanna TN to see the mods on your 19 TG, especially the oil relocation and cooler.

I look forward to the video. I think that's a great idea, due to it being a hot topic.

Yeah, gonna order the vent today. Prolly install it next week.

Hoping you guys will be at the shop in 10 days or so Kevin. Wanting to bring a buddy from Savanna TN to see the mods on your 19 TG, especially the oil relocation and cooler.

Yes, we will be there. Really looking forward to your visit.

Kevin

Tried to buy a Primary Vent Kit today.* Called 3 dealerships, none of them would sell me one.* They are calling it a recall only product.* Even if a bike is out of warranty, if it transfers (per their testing) then it gets a Primary Vent Kit installed at no cost.

I would rather do it myself than go thru all the back and forth with them testing it.

Anyone know a dealership that will sell one?

Kevin

Tried to buy a Primary Vent Kit today.* Called 3 dealerships, none of them would sell me one.* They are calling it a recall only product.* Even if a bike is out of warranty, if it transfers (per their testing) then it gets a Primary Vent Kit installed at no cost.

I would rather do it myself than go thru all the back and forth with them testing it.

Kevin

I'm sure there aren't any dealers out there that would sell you the primary vent, just guessing since you called 3 dealerships and they said no. I have heard it takes around 2 hours to do, just drive the trike there or haul it and have the dealer do it then bring it home, I don't think they keep it to do testing at least haven't heard of that at all. Maybe ISP-FL can chime in since he had his done at a dealer and waited for it.

All for now Trampas

Kevin

https://www.surdyke.com/PartsMain.a...SubCatID=388&CatID=&Name=&CatName=Maintenance

I'm sure there aren't any dealers out there that would sell you the primary vent, just guessing since you called 3 dealerships and they said no. I have heard it takes around 2 hours to do, just drive the trike there or haul it and have the dealer do it then bring it home, I don't think they keep it to do testing at least haven't heard of that at all. Maybe ISP-FL can chime in since he had his done at a dealer and waited for it.

All for now Trampas

I had mine done at Four Rivers Harley in Paducah Kevin, which is a ways from you so that probably won't help you much. My buddy from TN has a really good relationship with them and he got me in right away while I was down there with him on a ride recently.

They actually had ordered the kit for his 2018 but used it on mine instead. The week after I left they had re-ordered and got another one in to do his. It does take around 2 hours.

All for now Trampas

I had mine done at Four Rivers Harley in Paducah Kevin, which is a ways from you so that probably won't help you much. My buddy from TN has a really good relationship with them and he got me in right away while I was down there with him on a ride recently.

They actually had ordered the kit for his 2018 but used it on mine instead. The week after I left they had re-ordered and got another one in to do his. It does take around 2 hours.

All three of our local dealers want me to come in multiple times to accomplish the following steps-

1. They drain trans and primary, fill and seal

2. I then ride for x number of miles

3. I ride back and they check how much has transferred

4. If x amount has transferred then it qualifies for warranty installation of the vent and they set an appointment for me to go back a THIRD time

5. I go back the third time and they install the vent

This process would eat 14-16 hours of my time, going back and forth, and that's if everything went smoothly. I'd rather just pay $50 for it, and then an hour or two of my time and know that it was done right.

Kevin

Reactions: MDO
All three of our local dealers want me to come in multiple times to accomplish the following steps-

1. They drain trans and primary, fill and seal

2. I then ride for x number of miles

3. I ride back and they check how much has transferred

4. If x amount has transferred then it qualifies for warranty installation of the vent and they set an appointment for me to go back a THIRD time

5. I go back the third time and they install the vent

This process would eat 14-16 hours of my time, going back and forth, and that's if everything went smoothly. I'd rather just pay $50 for it, and then an hour or two of my time and know that it was done right.

Kevin

So ... this is a "known" issue (even though my dealer's service department "claims" to never had heard of it) ... why is Harley putting it's "base" through all this???? I just don't understand? How many bikes are we talking? I read some where, and don't quote me on this, like 15-20% overall experience this.

Just seems to me they are making the people that buy their products jump through hoops to get a "known issue fixed" ... I ask you .. is this anyway to run airline?????

vent kit

Kevin they sell the kit here at worthnorth harley just talked to them but so does syrdke. I had mine installed at st joe. I didn't have to jump through hoops to get it done. They also replaced the bcm to see if it would stop throughing thoes codes, it still does.

Just curious but I typed in the part number and description and got quite a few hits at various HD's with surdyke being the cheapest and it looks like you can buy it, guess a person won't know until he hits add it the cart.

Another question I read in another forum that the vent kit goes on the outside but I was told at my harley dealer it goes inside the primary because he seen me looking 2 and 3 wheelers on the floor, was looking for the vent and that is when he told me it is on the inside, don't know but in the future I guess I will know if mine transfers trannie fluid to the primary.

Ok for the ones that have had the vent thing done, what was the mileage on your trike when you noticed it transferring????

All for now Trampas

James, I had around 8,000 miles on mine when I discovered my tranny was low. I put another 800 or 900 miles on it after taking some out of primary plus toping off tranny. Tranny was probably only down another ounce or two.

Just curious but I typed in the part number and description and got quite a few hits at various HD's with surdyke being the cheapest and it looks like you can buy it, guess a person won't know until he hits add it the cart.

Another question I read in another forum that the vent kit goes on the outside but I was told at my harley dealer it goes inside the primary because he seen me looking 2 and 3 wheelers on the floor, was looking for the vent and that is when he told me it is on the inside, don't know but in the future I guess I will know if mine transfers trannie fluid to the primary.

Ok for the ones that have had the vent thing done, what was the mileage on your trike when you noticed it transferring????

All for now Trampas

Yeah, I had an old part number, that is why I was not finding it.

I now have mine ordered from Surdyke, hopefully I'll receive it next week sometime.

Part of the vent is inside the primary and part of it is outside the primary. It requires drilling a hole.

Mine has been transferring since the first time I checked, at around 500 miles. I now have a bit over 5k miles and it has been transferring more and more (per mile) as time goes by.

The first 1000 miles it only transferred a couple of ounces. The last 1000 miles it transferred 5-6 ounces.

Kevin

So ... this is a "known" issue (even though my dealer's service department "claims" to never had heard of it) ... why is Harley putting it's "base" through all this???? I just don't understand? How many bikes are we talking? I read some where, and don't quote me on this, like 15-20% overall experience this.

Just seems to me they are making the people that buy their products jump through hoops to get a "known issue fixed" ... I ask you .. is this anyway to run airline?????

HD has had a real hard time trying to fix this issue. They have been thru a bunch of different attempts. It is still not 100% sure that the vent will fix it in every instance. I have a friend who is a HD mechanic that says he has seen a couple of bikes that still transferred After the vent was installed.

I'm not sure what % are affected....no where near 50%, probably not even 20%. I was hoping that I would not be one of them...but, I'm hoping the vent makes the issue a distant memory. :)

If not, lots of guys have had good luck with modifying their clutch rod. Hope I don't need to do that.

As far as the hoop jumping, that is obviously our local dealerships not knowing what's what, since I am able to buy the kit elsewhere.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyldesydedavid

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wyldesydedavid
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png