charging issue???

Fowler

900+ Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Moneta VA
While riding my trike the last couple days I noticed the volt gauge go back and forth between 11 volts to 14 volts

Every time I test I get

Battery engine not running - 12.6V

Battery engine running 14.5V

That is good

Maybe my gauge?

Maybe the regulator?

any other ideas

When we were kids and getting that first car, well batteries back than did seem to last 10 years if taken care of.

I am still trying to get used to the short life batteries we pay so much for now days.

My best life and luck has been with Napa batteries. Walmart has a good two year exchange program, but they batteries seem to go to shit shortly after that 2 years, LOL

Seems all I find in my area now is the maintenance free batteries, not my favorite type.

:D

Have your battery load tested, I bet you will find it bad

After you replace battery check your charging system

The erratic voltage can be a sign of an alternator trying to catch up a bad battery

This has caused many regulators and rectifier bridges to arc and overheat

Took the battery to the auto store

It tested good

BTW I bought it in November 2009 So not a full 10 years

I cleaned up all the connections at the battery, starter, alternator & gauge

So now the issue is slightly different

At 700 - 800 RPMs the voltage is 12v- 13v

above 800 RPMs it jumps up to 14.5V

I'll go along with the guys saying bad battery......if internal connections between cells are intermittent or a few cells are building sediment and electrically leaking down it could cause regulation problems.

Not at all sure if this helps, but you can get the alternator checked out to see if it working correctly before just buying a new one, than again how old is the alternator ?

What I was going to add was that I had off charging indicator, checked the new gauge and how I installed it, but did use old ground wire in harness, so once I went to a new independent ground lead that was solid with new wire all the issues were solved. Latter as I was looking at the wiring harness I found several ground leads coming off the one I originally used. Instructions said "run a independent ground" for such a gauge and a few others say the same thing.

Parts store should be able to test alternator functions. Connect a test meter (VOM, DVM, etc.) you trust directly across the battery and run the engine. Compare readings with installed voltmeter. If different, could be wiring issue.

Use a dvom and check the voltage at the battery. I shouldn't drop to 11 volts quickly even if you disconnect the alternator. The voltages should be comparable between the two meters.

test with the meter shows the same. At lower RPMs the voltage drops

Going to ride to work today will see how it works on the ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png