Transmission Oil Change Interval

NC Triker

200+ Posts
Jul 9, 2012
Supply, NC
I am getting ready to do the 10K servicing on my 17 TG. I was looking at the service interval chart and it shows that the transmission oil doesn't get changed till 20K miles. I hear people say they do all three holes at the same time. I know it won't hurt to change it every engine oil change. How often do you change your transmission fluid?

Everyone has their own ideas of course but I follow the book recommendation and change at 20k. Never had a problem and while I've used Red Line lubricants before for the last several years I've been using H-D's Formula Plus and it works just fine for me.

I do all at 10K or Annually ... Engine at 5k or annually ... We get pretty radical temp changes here and I ride unless it's snowing or icy ... so I do the annual for condensation.

With my 2011 Tri, All 3 holes every 6 k.....With my 2017 if i waited to do the trans at 20k, Because of the oil migration it probably would have fired long before that...:Shrug:..

Before retiring I would normally just put on 2,000 or so a year on. I would change all three holes every year. I just looked at it as cheap insurance. Having it stored in winter temps up north for 3 or 4 months always concerned me.

Now being retired and putting 8,000 to 10,000 miles on a year I go with every other 5,000 miles oil change I will do the primary and tranny. My TG is never in temps lower than 55 or 60 degrees and driven almost daily.

I'm going for 10,000 mile change internal on the transmission with Redline Shockproof.

I'm doing 5,000 miles on the primary just because it gets so nasty looking. I have 1 more quart of HD Formula +, then I'm switching to Red line primary fluid.

After my trip, I will change engine & primary fluids this fall.

I change trans fluid every other engine oil change so every 10,000 miles. I run Royal Purple 75W-140 in the trans and it shifts very smoothly. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in the engine and primary and change both every 5,000 miles. I think it is very important to change the primary oil every engine oil change. There is a lot of heat in the primary and the stator was fried on both my 2001 Road King and 2005 CVO Electra Glide before 30,000 miles. Since then I have changed the primary every engine oil change.

Sunman

Trans gets done at every other engine change. Motor and primary at 6k.

This time I am using Spectro primary for V-Twins. Seems smoother clutch engagement with out the jurk. Also Spectro trans fluid as it now slips into neutral like butter, and shifts smoother. Felt no improvement with the Shock-Proof stuff. Was not impressed at all.

Got a question for the guys/gals who are using something besides Syn-3 in all three holes, like Redline for example.

If I want to still use Syn-3 in my engine and primary, but decide to put Redline or something different in my tranny, what about my migration issue? It looks like my bike migrates around 2 ounces every 1,000 or 1,200 miles, so in other words there will be a Redline product going into the primary which is filled with Syn-3.

Is there a Redline product you can use in both the tranny and primary?

Got a question for the guys/gals who are using something besides Syn-3 in all three holes, like Redline for example.

If I want to still use Syn-3 in my engine and primary, but decide to put Redline or something different in my tranny, what about my migration issue? It looks like my bike migrates around 2 ounces every 1,000 or 1,200 miles, so in other words there will be a Redline product going into the primary which is filled with Syn-3.

Here's a link to the entire Redline kit:

https://www.amazon.com/RedLine-9022...ocphy=9015260&hvtargid=pla-377844071267&psc=1

I've always changed (cleaned) my oil filter at 3K miles and the oil and filter at 6K. Then on the second go round of 6K I clean the filter, chg oil and tranny fluid at 12K. I've run Amsoil 20-50 in the engine, Amsoil SuperShifter in the primary and Sevear Gear in the tranny for years along with MotorKote in the holes. No problems what so ever.

8~\o

Joe, a lot of Harley dealers are carrying Red Line products now

Check them out;)

I do not have the migration problem with my M8, I use Redline in all my trannys

The answer to your Redline question is NO @ this time

Only the Sporster unit construction tranny/ primary share the same lube

An excellent question and the answer afaik is no. The only products I've seen are separate - one for the trans and another for the primary.

But Kevin of DK Custom Products runs Redline in the trans and he has reported some migration so you might want to check with him.

Personally I ran Redline in my 2007 CVO Ultra for several years but really couldn't tell much of a difference. So I just went back to Formula + in the trans and primary and have had no problem at all. Might try H-D's new synthetic gear oil made for both holes in the future but in any case I prefer the same lube in both holes and I don't want engine/motor oil in either.

Joe, a lot of Harley dealers are carrying Red Line products now

Check them out;)

I do not have the migration problem with my M8, I use Redline in all my trannys

A big +1. Jack & Kevin convinced me of the quality & benefits of Redline with Shockproof & I'm glad I took their advice. Besides Kevin's great story on Redline, the best recommendations are that several different HD dealers have told me it's the best for HD trannies.

I'm too, 1 of the lucky ones with no migration. If I had it, I would be concerned about the compatibility of 2 different fluids.

I was perfectly happy with Lucas oil in all 3 holes. The Redline is just better.

Jack, I knew you couldn't stay away from an oil thread.

A big +1. Jack & Kevin convinced me of the quality & benefits of Redline with Shockproof & I'm glad I took their advice. Besides Kevin's great story on Redline, the best recommendations are that several different HD dealers have told me it's the best for HD trannies.

I'm too, 1 of the lucky ones with no migration. If I had it, I would be concerned about the compatibility of 2 different fluids.

I was perfectly happy with Lucas oil in all 3 holes. The Redline is just better.

Jack, I knew you couldn't stay away from an oil thread.

You got me hooked:p

Heck, I'm glad several of you guys can't stay away from an oil thread. Appreciate the input and great advise.

Right now I'm still in the process of doing more testing to see exactly how much migration there is. Making a run down to Kentucky for a few days so by the time I get back I'll be able to measure it after another 700 miles.

I'll be close to my 10,000 miles service so I'll probably use Syn-3 in the motor as always and throw some Formula+ in the tranny and primary for now.

Reactions: MDO

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png