Is Champion still in business?

Chromeguy57

Jan 8, 2020
Hanlontown, IA USA
I'm new here and new to a Champion trike kit on a 2016 Indian Chief. I purchased the kit with the electric reverse option and have a major problem with it. I had used reverse a couple of times without incident but the last time it wouldn't stop after taking my finger off the actuator button. I couldn't stop it, ended up backing into a speed rack which stopped my backward movement. I had to get off, remove the seat and disconnect the battery to end this scary incident.

Smoke poured out from under the body the whole time I was disconnecting the battery. It pretty much fried the electric motor which I've since removed. I've been trying to contact them since the week before Christmas; never any live person answering the phone. I get a recording to leave a message which I have on the numerous times I've tried calling. I also left email messages via their web site and like the phone messages, no response at all. Are these people out of business?

I'm new here and new to a Champion trike kit on a 2016 Indian Chief. I purchased the kit with the electric reverse option and have a major problem with it. I had used reverse a couple of times without incident but the last time it wouldn't stop after taking my finger off the actuator button. I couldn't stop it, ended up backing into a speed rack which stopped my backward movement. I had to get off, remove the seat and disconnect the battery to end this scary incident. Smoke poured out from under the body the whole time I was disconnecting the battery. It pretty much fried the electric motor which I've since removed. I've been trying to contact them since the week before Christmas; never any live person answering the phone. I get a recording to leave a message which I have on the numerous times I've tried calling. I also left email messages via their web site and like the phone messages, no response at all. Are these people out of business?

Bruce......Welcome to Trike-Talk, :wave4:......Just a shot in the dark here but have you tried to contact a Trike shop that does Champion conversions...Maybe they can help you..??

champion

Boy am I glad I went with Frankenstein. Every thing inside their rear end can be replaced with ford arts even if they went out of buisness

They are not officially out of business, as I understand it they are talking to potential buyers. The owner is retiring and has other businesses he will focus on.

What would be interesting if a company like Polaris/Indian were to buy the company they too could produce a factory trike and still provide units to dealers and DIYers. (this just a thought)

What would be interesting if a company like Polaris/Indian were to buy the company they too could produce a factory trike and still provide units to dealers and DIYers. (this just a thought)

YES, that would be interesting!

Is Harley now producing their own trike conversion or is Lehman still making them for the Tri-Glide?

Jim

Got a call from them this morning and were very helpful. They wanted me to send the electric motor and control box to them for repair and/or replacement. Thanks to all who replied to my thread.

The folks at Champion Trikes, Sidecars & Champion Reverse are good people, I've known and done business with Craig and Bill for many years and they have believed in and supported this forum since the beginning and I appreciate that very much. They are still in business and will continue to be, but not in the same capacity.

Papa Zook

The folks at Champion Trikes, Sidecars & Champion Reverse are good people, I've known and done business with Craig and Bill for many years and they have believed in and supported this forum for longer than any other trike company and I appreciate that very much. They are still in business and will continue to be, but not in the same capacity.

Please keep us in the loop so to speak. I had Champion convert my 2014 Ultra Limited at the Garden Grove facility in late 2018. Haven’t had a single issue but would like to keep abreast of changes and improvements.

Champion Trikes

I'm new here and new to a Champion trike kit on a 2016 Indian Chief. I purchased the kit with the electric reverse option and have a major problem with it. I had used reverse a couple of times without incident but the last time it wouldn't stop after taking my finger off the actuator button. I couldn't stop it, ended up backing into a speed rack which stopped my backward movement. I had to get off, remove the seat and disconnect the battery to end this scary incident.

Smoke poured out from under the body the whole time I was disconnecting the battery. It pretty much fried the electric motor which I've since removed. I've been trying to contact them since the week before Christmas; never any live person answering the phone. I get a recording to leave a message which I have on the numerous times I've tried calling. I also left email messages via their web site and like the phone messages, no response at all. Are these people out of business?

Had a problem in September with my 2008 Goldwing Trike and contacted them, learned from them that they had sold the Champion Trike business to D & D Motor sports in Arizona, the number is 480-597-3444 and a gentleman named Jason is extremely nice when you call and they do answer the phone now as Champion Trikes

Champion electric reverse problem

I initially had an electric reverse problem as seen in my previous posts. They did replace the system and went quite awhile with everything working normally until recently. I turned on the ignition switch to start the bike and it started backing up by itself and I plowed into another bike causing damage to both. Luckily I had installed a battery disconnect switch after the first failure but couldn't react quick enough to avoid the collision. Without this I would have to had to remove the seat and disconnect the battery to stop the reverse system.

I contacted the firm in Arizona that now handles what used to be Champion and asked for help which entailed requesting a wiring schematic to try to diagnose the problem. The guy says in essence that this is a problem with Indian"s wiring which I find hard to believe as the reverse worked normally for quite some time before the 2nd failure. He went on to say they didn't supply trike kits for Indians and that I was on my own without even any recommendation on where or who I could try to contact.

Question: Does anyone have a wiring schematic for one of these or have any experience with a system like this? (I already have the installation instructions which isn't any help). I picked Champion because I liked the styling and spoke with 2 other bike owners who had purchased from them and both were happy with their conversions. I looks like now we have an orphan product with no support at all.:mad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like the relay stuck, I'd disconnect the reverse system since it is malfunctioning. Maybe just maybe Champion in California may have an electrical schematic filed away somewhere. It would hurt to ask: customerservice@championsidecars.com or (657) 296-0595. Seems like there is something wrong with their system to fail twice.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png