FIRST RIDE ON MY FREE WHEELER - and DISAPPOINTING

balloo

Feb 15, 2020
Bainbridge Islandn
Weather was finally good enough for my first ride.

Was like ridding a horse with each leg a different length.

Granted I only rode for 40-miles, and almost all was on the side roads/streets here - they are paved, but do have some bumps.

I thought I would get bucked off....

Coming from a Heritage, and ridding the same roads this was a big disappointment.

I road several miles on our local highway,. and felt every bump and grove in the pavement - - again nothing like ridding the Heritage

At this point, I consider it unsafe for me to ride this bike.

Have any of you had these problems, while getting use to the Free Wheeler ?

Bought the Free Wheeler used, but only 1100-miles -dealer did complete service and safety check. All noted Okay, which included a check ride by service tech.

Any and all input is appreciated -- would hate to have to sell it.

Thanks,

Larry, With 3 wheels on the ground its not like with a 2 wheeler where you can miss most of the pot holes....For some people ? there's a learning curve to get past with 3 wheels....You'll figure it out in time...Just don't have a death grip on the handle-bars.....:Shrug:..

Howdy Larry, another thing to check is the air pressure in the rear shocks, don't know if you ride 1 or 2 up but start around 25 or 30 # and work your way up and down about 2 # at a time till you find the sweet spot.

I think Frank meant to say 36 lbs in the front tire if it's a Dunlop, if not, sorry Frank.

Tire pressure and shock pressure is everything in comfort in the three wheel world what the others have said it will be much better. there are better shocks available but pricey. travel safe Fred

Reactions: MDO
Welcome to Trike Talk

Welcome Larry. Sorry to hear you're already thinking of selling. It takes a while to get used to the ride. Shocks and tires help as others have said. I have about 4500 miles on my 2018 Tri glide. I have not done anything to it yet, just got used to the rougher ride. Hope you get used to the ride or make some changes. Good Luck.

FIRST RIDE ON MY FREE WHEEL and DISAPPOINTING

Was like ridding a horse with each leg a different length

Granted I only rode for 40-miles, and almost all was on the side streets/roads where I live. They are paved, but do have some bumps.

I thought I would get bucked off.

Coming from a Heritage, and ridding the same roads, this was a big disappointment.

I rode several miles on the local highway, and felt every bump and grove in the pavement -- again nothing like ridding the Heritage.

At this point, I consider it unsafe to ride this bike.

Have any of you had these problems, while getting use to your free wheeler?

Bought the free wheeler used with only 1100-miles ( is a 2016) dealer did complete service, safety check. All noted okay, which included a test ride by the service tech.

Any and all input is appreciated - - would hate to have to sell it.

Thanks

Granted I only rode for 40-miles, and almost all was on the side streets/roads where I live. They are paved, but do have some bumps.

Coming from a Heritage, and ridding the same roads, this was a big disappointment.

I rode several miles on the local highway, and felt every bump and grove in the pavement -- again nothing like ridding the Heritage.

Bought the free wheeler used with only 1100-miles ( is a 2016) dealer did complete service, safety check. All noted okay, which included a test ride by the service tech.

Thanks

Isn't there another thread about this?

Larry... don’t pull the trigger too fast! Hang in here with it for a bit and try the suggestions already posted...these guys are seasoned FreeWheeler owners, appreciate their ride, and willing to offer their experiences with whatever concerns you may have with your trike.

Then, if the FreeWheeler is not for you - go test ride other trikes and see if you find one that suits you better - different brands and different trike kits do ride differently but keep in mind that a bumpy road will yield a bumpy ride on ANY 3-wheeler...for instance, I just had the shocks lowered on my Gold Wing trike from stiffest to middle setting - I too was griping about the bumpy ride on bumpy roads - this lower setting has improved the bumpy road ride... wishing you the best...

Larry, don't give up. As has been stated, it takes some time to make the transition from two wheels to three. I probably had 500 plus miles on our trike before I was happy I made the change to three wheels. And with three tire tracks you will not always miss the rough patches in the road. At some point you will begin to wonder why you waited so long to switch to a trike!

Thanks

Larry, Welcome to Trike Talk from West Virginia.:wave4:

There are posts all over the forum about different initial setup opinions.

This is just another:

Air pressure is part of the suspension. The rear tires should be 20-22psi to start. The front tire 36psi to start. The stock Harley air shocks 15-20psi to start. Improvement in ride quality can be made from these starting points.

It will never give you the thrill of a 2-wheeler but most of us consider the alternative of not riding.:Shrug:

This is just another:

Air pressure is part of the suspension. The rear tires should be 20-22psi to start. The front tire 36psi to start. The stock Harley air shocks 15-20psi to start. Improvement in ride quality can be made from these starting points.

It will never give you the thrill of a 2-wheeler but most of us consider the alternative of not riding.:Shrug:
Thank you very well said...:good: ride safe Fred

This is just another:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT - - today I lowered the rear tire pressure to 22 - this helped a bit. Then I took bike to the dealer - - they will adjust shocks to between 10 & 20 PSI as I do not have the special tool.

Rode the bike on a freeway at between 55 and 65 MPH - still not a comfortable ride. And on the rough road from my house even with lower rear tire pressure, nothing ike my Heritage on this road.

Will continue to do some test rides after dealer makes adjustments -- but rain forecast again so may be a while.

It is nice to belong to a group like this, and all of your experience and input is really appreciated

Will post after my next ride.

Cheers,

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png