Issue With New slip-Ons Cobra 909 Mufflers

Mar 9, 2019
Kansas City Ks
Installed a new set of Cobras 909. WOW! they sound fantastic. The problem I'm having,has anyone had a problem with Cobras are not tightening secure enough? :Shrug: I'm noticing that the right mufflers keeps sliding back. At first I had no idea what was causing the muffler to slide. After removing the muffler i found that the slit on the tip wasn't completely gaped. One side of the edge's corner was catching the other sides corner keeping the gap from closing when tightening. I used a very small file to separate the two corners letting the muffler's gap slide into each other onto the head pipe. thought I had solved the problem until this passed week ride. The muffler slid back once again. :gah: Thanks

I ride a HD 2018 Tri Glide. Lot of mods.

Me I would get ahold of Cobra, they may know what the reason is. Now when you put them on did you use new muffler clamps, they always say when changing mufflers to put new clamps on also regardless if only been on a week, change to new clamps

All for now Trampas

The right side muffler( screaming eagle) would slide back no matter how tight i got the clamp,actually had it pop off the pipe twice.So i drilled a small hole thru the clamp and thru the muffler and pipe the tapped it 10-32 and installed a SS bolt,so far so good.Had these mufflers on my 16 trike without any issue so it must be a problem with the clamp.

The right side muffler( screaming eagle) would slide back no matter how tight i got the clamp,actually had it pop off the pipe twice.So i drilled a small hole thru the clamp and thru the muffler and pipe the tapped it 10-32 and installed a SS bolt,so far so good.Had these mufflers on my 16 trike without any issue so it must be a problem with the clamp.

I had to do the same thing on my 2019 Tri, Also on a 2017 I owned Tri

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I thought about the new clamps. They look pretty good to only have 3200 miles on them. I'll think i would try the new clamps. If they don't work, a hole, a bolt, a nut, I'll go! :cool:

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I thought about the new clamps. They look pretty good to only have 3200 miles on them. I'll think i would try the new clamps. If they don't work, a hole, a bolt, a nut, I'll go! :cool:

Sorry guys for not getting back in a timely manor. :Shrug: I went on a brought a couple of new clamps trying that route first. :( The pipe still slid back but not as far, only a 1/2". Wife and I rode about 150 miles and no movement. :clapping:It might be the stopping point for the moment. We'll see after the next outing. Wife has me re-modelling the house since we are not taking any vacations this year. :gah:Now that I have the Cobras, sneaking :xszpv: away is out of the question. :AGGHH: Thanks for the help! BE SAFE!!

Sorry guys for not getting back in a timely manor. :Shrug: I went on a brought a couple of new clamps trying that route first. :( The pipe still slid back but not as far, only a 1/2". Wife and I rode about 150 miles and no movement. :clapping:It might be the stopping point for the moment. We'll see after the next outing. Wife has me re-modelling the house since we are not taking any vacations this year. :gah:Now that I have the Cobras, sneaking :xszpv: away is out of the question. :AGGHH: Thanks for the help! BE SAFE!!

If you get this figured out lets us know, that is the mufflers I'm thinking on for my 2018, as mykneesbehurtin said he had to drill and tap a hole, shouldn't have to do this at all especially since he put on harley screaming eagle mufflers and shouldn't have to do this on any muffler no matter the brand.

All for now Trampas

I've always felt the Tri's right side of the head pipe is just slightly undersized, always meant to measure with an outside mic, but, always forget. I had this issue on my 15 Tri. I put a single wrap of metal duct tape around it, I then used a pipe expander, $20 at harbor freight to open the slip on's inlet a tad. When I tightened it down, it never moved again. On my 14, I didn't need to do that. Maybe the E-Series mufflers are tighter :Shrug:. On both I used Wild Pig De Catted head pipes, which are just OEM with the Cat removed.

Expander 19.44.jpeg

De Catted Head Pipe 150 Wild Pigx.jpeg

If you get this figured out lets us know, that is the mufflers I'm thinking on for my 2018, as mykneesbehurtin said he had to drill and tap a hole, shouldn't have to do this at all especially since he put on harley screaming eagle mufflers and shouldn't have to do this on any muffler no matter the brand.

All for now Trampas

I drilled and tapped mine , I thought one day the muffler would come off and dig into ground and who now's what would happen .

To me that is unaccepable but that is me, as Road Dog said I would be worried it would slide off further and hit the ground and that wouldn't be good at all and as I said in my other post shouldn't have to drill and tap.

Maybe get a pipe expander as Fuzzy said, worth a shot anyway. Another thought is call Cobra and explain it to them, maybe by chance they might know about this already and have a fix for it or at you can hope they do.

All for now Trampas

I keep looking at mufflers and it seems there isn't much out there for a 2018 triglide, was curious if anybody that put mufflers on did you have to buy the trike adapaters that I keep seeing on web sites from rineheart, vance and hines and others, not sure why you would need these and also why is the right side exhaust bigger, you would think it would be all the same diameter

All for now Trampas

I keep seeing that info for TG18's. :confused: You would think both pipes are the same. Well Planning on spinning the tires today. Lets see how it goes! Stay safe!!

I put the same pipes on my 2019 Triglide and had the same problem. First time I took it out, both pipes slipped back at least and inch or so. The problem with the pipes is that the slits along the sleeve are not long enough to get the opening to close tight enough. I finally went to the auto parts store and bought regular automobile u-clamps for exhaust pipes. If memory serves, I used the 1 1/2" ones. I pulled off the original Harley clamps and installed these. I tightened the living hell out of them to a point where they actually crimped the ends of the pipe...they ain't slipping anymore that's for sure. Of course I wouldn't want to be the poor son of a bitch that tries to take them off in 10 years when I trade it in.

I put the same pipes on my 2019 Triglide and had the same problem. First time I took it out, both pipes slipped back at least and inch or so. The problem with the pipes is that the slits along the sleeve are not long enough to get the opening to close tight enough. I finally went to the auto parts store and bought regular automobile u-clamps for exhaust pipes. If memory serves, I used the 1 1/2" ones. I pulled off the original Harley clamps and installed these. I tightened the living hell out of them to a point where they actually crimped the ends of the pipe...they ain't slipping anymore that's for sure. Of course I wouldn't want to be the poor son of a bitch that tries to take them off in 10 years when I trade it in.

That is thinking out of the box for sure, thanks for the tip, I'm glad to see it is working for you and let's us know if they slip anymore, I'm sure with this kind of clamp I'm sure they won't move at all because as you say you can tighten it more than a stock harley clamp.

There has to be a reason why they slip with stock harley clamps, they should never slip.

All for now Trampas

That is thinking out of the box for sure, thanks for the tip, I'm glad to see it is working for you and let's us know if they slip anymore, I'm sure with this kind of clamp I'm sure they won't move at all because as you say you can tighten it more than a stock harley clamp.

There has to be a reason why they slip with stock harley clamps, they should never slip.

All for now Trampas

There are slots cut or machined into the collar where it fits over the stock exhaust pipe. The slots are not long enough to allow the collar to tighten down. I've installed Harley, Vance & Hines, and other brands on bikes before with no problem in tightening them. Both sets of Cobras I have had were near impossible to get tight. Good luck.

Cobra mufflers on a 2019 Triglide

I drilled and tapped mine , I thought one day the muffler would come off and dig into ground and who now's what would happen .

I installed the Cobra 909 mufflers when I replaced the stock headers with a Vance & Hindes set including the connecting pipe to couple to the mufflers. I did have to use an expander on the mufflers to get them to fit. What I did notice was that the mufflers are way louder without the cats. I ended up making special baffles to quite them down. It's all good now...Sound great...

Its been awhile now with the Cobras, no difference in the pictures. :clapping:I want to thank everyone on your feed back. Now that I been putting miles on the trike, yet another problem too solve. :kpzxvq: Order a new Ultimate Seat. Will start/add to the Forum in another post.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusGus1
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png