Sun Protection Sleeves..Anyone wear them?

paws

Just Killing Time...
Oct 22, 2011
Kerrville, TX U.S.A
Has anyone worn sun protection sleeves along with a short sleeved shirt in the summertime....instead of a long sleeved shirt? They are also known as golf sleeves, fake tattoo sleeves, etc.... mostly designed to protect against negative affects of sun exposure.

Just curious... I always wear a long sleeved shirt on the trike but have noticed these sleeves and just curious if they are comfortable to wear. Thanks.

Sometimes I just wear a long sleeve T-shirt. Most of the time I use sun screen and apply it to my face also. I have never used the sleeves so can't comment on them.

I almost always wear in the summer a pullover [AKA Larceny Shirt/Hoodie] ...With the sleeves pulled up above the elbows...And never used sunscreen but thats just me ...If i was to use fake sleeves i might just as well pull the pullover sleeves down...

Has anyone worn sun protection sleeves along with a short sleeved shirt in the summertime....instead of a long sleeved shirt? They are also known as golf sleeves, fake tattoo sleeves, etc.... mostly designed to protect against negative affects of sun exposure.

Just curious... I always wear a long sleeved shirt on the trike but have noticed these sleeves and just curious if they are comfortable to wear. Thanks.

Finally a thread I can contribute to...:p

Carla I purchased a set of black ones and used them for a little while. My observations are that in high way speeds the short sleeves would be blown up by the wind exposing upper arm. And my riding gloves didn't meet up with them leaving about an inch exposed between the glove and "sleeve "

I wound up just using my mesh jacket during the summer which offered best coverage and kept me cool :wave4:

Finally a thread I can contribute to...:p

Carla I purchased a set of black ones and used them for a little while. My observations are that in high way speeds the short sleeves would be blown up by the wind exposing upper arm. And my riding gloves didn't meet up with them leaving about an inch exposed between the glove and "sleeve "

I wound up just using my mesh jacket during the summer which offered best coverage and kept me cool :wave4:

Thank you Randall. A hands-on report is just what I was hoping for.

One of the guys in the group I rode with Sunday had them on. I asked him if he likes them. He said he does but he has to be sure to wear a shirt with longer sleeves than the normal short sleeve shirt or he will have burned upper arms.

Ditto on the mesh jacket. I know it is counter intuitive but even on the hottest of days the mesh jacket beats anything else I've tried. It help keep you from dehydration from the wind and protects from the sun's rays. Look how they dress in the middle east desert regions - fully covered, no tee shirts, shorts, etc.

Long sleeve fishing shirt from Bass Pro or Cabellas. In ultra hot weather, I carry a spray bottle of water, stop often, and spray myself down..... Jim

One of the guys in the group I rode with Sunday had them on. I asked him if he likes them. He said he does but he has to be sure to wear a shirt with longer sleeves than the normal short sleeve shirt or he will have burned upper arms.

You wear a longer short sleeve if your not going to tug your short sleeve into the arm sleeve. I have worn these when it gets hot above 90. They are cooler on the arms than a regular long sleeve T shirt. You have to tuck your short sleeve into them, so your short sleeve doesn't blowup, and create a area where you can be burned. Secondly, you pull the sleeve up only enough to tuck your shirt in, this leaves plenty for around your wrist so that your gloves cover over top of the sleeve. i where them and have many colors. I like the lite colors versus the dark colors, less heat radiation. They due keep your arms cool, without the burn. You can get them in various logos and designs. Our the friend that LadyonaMission, is talking about usually wears Army Logo or POW/MIA and are black with design. He and I both swear by them. The other PLUS, is if you want to go short sleeve, just pull them off. Best of both worlds!!!

You wear a longer short sleeve if your not going to tug your short sleeve into the arm sleeve. I have worn these when it gets hot above 90. They are cooler on the arms than a regular long sleeve T shirt. You have to tuck your short sleeve into them, so your short sleeve doesn't blowup, and create a area where you can be burned. Secondly, you pull the sleeve up only enough to tuck your shirt in, this leaves plenty for around your wrist so that your gloves cover over top of the sleeve. i where them and have many colors. I like the lite colors versus the dark colors, less heat radiation. They due keep your arms cool, without the burn. You can get them in various logos and designs. Our the friend that LadyonaMission, is talking about usually wears Army Logo or POW/MIA and are black with design. He and I both swear by them. The other PLUS, is if you want to go short sleeve, just pull them off. Best of both worlds!!!

Nuc...excellent tip on tucking the shirt sleeve into the cool sleeve to keep it from blowing upwards toward the shoulder. Thanks for chiming in.

I have done that very thing stopping at car washes trying to ride home in 107* heat...that is, wet me down, not the bike.... then dang near froze to death in 107* for the next 10-15 miles..then wet down again at the next little town’s car wash til I got home.

I have two sets of sleeves that a friend of mine made for me in around 2000, I only wear them on trips and they have held up really well. They are really long and come up well underneath the short sleeves (actually into my pits) and are comfortable there. Never had any issues with exposing skin. They have elastic in the top and bottom which keeps them in place.

These where custom made from heavy T shirt material. They are white and don't look bad even under a black T shirt. They have like pockets for the elastic. When the elastic got stretched out, I bought some more, slid it in the pocket by attaching a safety pin to an end and working it through. Then I did a couple stitches to keep it together. Done that a couple times over the years.

On a longer trip I get two days out of each pair, then wash them in the hotel sink at night. So there is usually one pair "drying" and one pair in use if I need it. I have had them "tied" to the tour pak bag when still a little damp in the morning for the first tank of gas, always dry be the end of that, then I just roll them up and put them away. Thought about having her make another couple pairs out of quick drying fabric, but, that would defeat the purpose of the "cooling" under a perforated jacket.

I like the sleeves compared to a long sleeved T shirt, because I can take them off when I get something to eat or stop to see something. They take up very little room in the tour pak and there is always one pair in there if I need them.

Another plus of the removable sleeves is when I wear them with the hydration vest, I can soak them as well under the perforated jacket and when I get where I'm going the sleeves and hydration vest might still be damp, but, the shirt isn't. I used to have a 2 qt water bottle that I would bungee to the tour pak bag just for emergency hydration and to soak the hydration vest and sleeves. It finally bit the farm from sun exposure, need to get another one of better quality.

I like my cotton fishing shirt from Bass Pro/Cabelas. The yellow is cooler than a black tee. I buy it extra big so it lets the breezes thru and has a collar to protect the neck.

For years I have worn the 100% Nylon, vented UV shirts from Bass Pro Shop. I carry two on a trip and being nylon I can wash them out at night and they are dry in the morning. I wear a T Shirt underneath so I can take it off when I stop somewhere for lunch, etc.

Sunman

I always wear a cotton long sleeve here in Florida along with gauntlet gloves. I get a lot of hassle for wearing gloves, but at least my hands are protected. Ya just never know when a big bug or some road debris might fly up. We have a lot of debris and sand on our roads all the time

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png