Heat off engine

On my 02 Road King i could ride in shorts( i don't) but the heat is minimal compared to my M8 trike.But i will do some things to help cool it down.

I got out and went to a Spyder. Love the dam thing..LOL. I hear ya on the money but got so pissed with part issues and this discussion I got out.

But I still have my 96 Ultra with DFT conversion that's been stored for many years now. Should get that running again. Got a 124 CI on that one.. :D

If Harley would straighten out some things , I may go back but dont see that either.

I agree traded my 08 Goldwing for a 2020 tri glide money pit it is endless what you don't get , shit raw aluminum wheels that look like crap in two months, no power , radio u cant here at 50 mph, seat that sucks after 100 miles , after 10,000 miles the motor sounds like freakin bomb, there new shit shocks that you can not adjust to anybody's licke'n the list goes on and on !!!!! Most of us dumb ass's will buy another one !!! there's nobody on hear that can argue any of this ??? LETS HEAR IT :D :D :D

I agree traded my 08 Goldwing for a 2020 tri glide money pit it is endless what you don't get , shit raw aluminum wheels that look like crap in two months, no power , radio u cant here at 50 mph, seat that sucks after 100 miles , after 10,000 miles the motor sounds like freakin bomb, there new shit shocks that you can not adjust to anybody's licke'n the list goes on and on !!!!! Most of us dumb ass's will buy another one !!! there's nobody on hear that can argue any of this ??? LETS HEAR IT :D :D :D

I agree. Traded my 06 Goldwing Hannigan for 16 Tri Glide and regretted every day since. But like I said before to much money in this one to go back. Plus the Wife would smother me in my sleep!

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Sounds like there are a lot of options but most are pretty pricey. I think I might raise the tank and tough it out on the heat. Thanks again

If you raise the tank get the air deflectors as well. I have them and they are worth having cooler motor and less air in the face.

Hi Dan. Sorry to hear you traded your wing. I really liked the looks of that bike with the oversized front tire. Say hi to Debbie for us.

It has been a long time since I've owned a non-Harley motorcycle.

I've never owned a motorcycle, Harley or not, that I have not done mods to.

However, since 2007 especially, I've had to do mods to the Harley's that are "needed" to make it "right". I do not know if that is the case for non-Harley's or not. But HD has two, no, three forces that have been driving them to do things that require intervention:

EPA requirements

The culture of replace instead of repair

Owners not riding many miles

This has resulted in HD's being made a bit "cheaper" and in them running too hot for their own good. The low mileage syndrome makes HD design them for those people, which does make for a variety of issues for the few that ride a lot of miles.

Since, for a variety of reasons, Harley is mine and Mary's choice of bike/trike, I accept that there are things that need to be done to a new bike to get it to where I want it. These mods fall into the following categories:

Comfort/handling

Safety

Performance/Reliability

I think on pretty much any bike brand I would need to make comfort mods...handlebars, suspension, pegs, etc.

On safety, for me, additional lights would be added to any brand bike

Performance/Reliability is where HD (especially trikes) need the most help, probably more than other brands. I accept that as part of the "acquisition" price.

Kevin

It has been a long time since I've owned a non-Harley motorcycle.

I've never owned a motorcycle, Harley or not, that I have not done mods to.

However, since 2007 especially, I've had to do mods to the Harley's that are "needed" to make it "right". I do not know if that is the case for non-Harley's or not. But HD has two, no, three forces that have been driving them to do things that require intervention:

EPA requirements

The culture of replace instead of repair

Owners not riding many miles

This has resulted in HD's being made a bit "cheaper" and in them running too hot for their own good. The low mileage syndrome makes HD design them for those people, which does make for a variety of issues for the few that ride a lot of miles.

Since, for a variety of reasons, Harley is mine and Mary's choice of bike/trike, I accept that there are things that need to be done to a new bike to get it to where I want it. These mods fall into the following categories:

Comfort/handling

Safety

Performance/Reliability

I think on pretty much any bike brand I would need to make comfort mods...handlebars, suspension, pegs, etc.

On safety, for me, additional lights would be added to any brand bike

Performance/Reliability is where HD (especially trikes) need the most help, probably more than other brands. I accept that as part of the "acquisition" price.

Kevin

The first Harley I owned was in 1970 it was a Worchester mass. police 1967 servi car so I have owned a few at 13 years old we beat the crap out of that thing on the dirt roads , I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on these P.O.S. What else in the world can you buy that they give you a 900 page parts & accessory catalog ? That's like hay sucker want power $6000. Radio you can hear $3000. A seat that don't hurt $800. wheels that will not corrode $2500. oh want some chrome $5000. HOW ABOUT SHOCKS $1000. Ya that makes it your own !!! Not bad for $50000. bad lifters, bad compensators ,bad oil pumps , bad suspension , when I bought my honda my wife would not ride on it after awhile she did the new tri she has not , says it still rides like that old rigid frame servi car !! HA HA HA

Kevin

I even had to do that to my Indian and it's still a bike, when the EPA got wind of certain conditions that made the bike perform quite well. They ruined my bike and once I got it tuned back to nearly what it was I've not allowed them to touch it again with their so called "performance" recalls that they snookered us with before.:mad::mad::mad:

The first Harley I owned was in 1970 it was a Worchester mass. police 1967 servi car so I have owned a few at 13 years old we beat the crap out of that thing on the dirt roads , I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on these P.O.S. What else in the world can you buy that they give you a 900 page parts & accessory catalog ? That's like hay sucker want power $6000. Radio you can hear $3000. A seat that don't hurt $800. wheels that will not corrode $2500. oh want some chrome $5000. HOW ABOUT SHOCKS $1000. Ya that makes it your own !!! Not bad for $50000. bad lifters, bad compensators ,bad oil pumps , bad suspension , when I bought my honda my wife would not ride on it after awhile she did the new tri she has not , says it still rides like that old rigid frame servi car !! HA HA HA

Yeah, I hear ya. We have not spent nearly as much, nor had nearly the problems, but I hear you.

Kevin

I even had to do that to my Indian and it's still a bike, when the EPA got wind of certain conditions that made the bike perform quite well. They ruined my bike and once I got it tuned back to nearly what it was I've not allowed them to touch it again with their so called "performance" recalls that they snookered us with before.:mad::mad::mad:

Yes, I've heard the same thing regarding Indians. We periodically get calls from Indian owners asking if we have parts to cool down their heat issues.

Unfortunately we do not have time to make all the parts for Harley's that we want...so no time to even think about developing parts for Indians.

Kevin

You sure picked an issue that generates a lot of varied comments. We all seem to have different heat/cold tolerances. I have ridden a bunch when the temps are over 100 degrees. I don't have Love Jugs or any other after market cooling options. I do however, wear Olympia mesh over pants when I have to hit the interstates. They are very efficient at keeping the heat off my legs. For short rides around town or into the mountains I mostly just wear blue jeans (sorry, but not sorry to all my ATGATT friends). I can feel the difference, but it's certainly not unbearable.

Good luck and have fun working it out. BTW... i did bolt on the rider floorboard spacers and they seem to help.

. . . I do however, wear Olympia mesh over pants when I have to hit the interstates. They are very efficient at keeping the heat off my legs. . . .

I wear Olympia mesh over pants too. They obviously make a heck of a difference because I've never had an issue with engine heat even when it's 100 degrees out.

I wear Olympia mesh over pants too. They obviously make a heck of a difference because I've never had an issue with engine heat even when it's 100 degrees out.

I also have heating issue. Wanting to start with a Tank lift. I believe I will run into issues :confused: with the tank lift hitting the handlebars when turning left or right. I have installed LA Chopper Twin Peaks 12" with 1.5" in dia. Been looking into DK Customs Deluxe Tank Lift. Here are a few pix's showing the clearance issues I am foreseeing.

20200710_205025.jpg20200710_205106.jpg20200710_205126.jpg20200710_205211.jpg

I ran into a similar problem with my Indian when I installed Rox risers. I was able to file down the riser but I have no idea what you can do with your handlebars. Might it mean different handlebars?:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

I ran into a similar problem with my Indian when I installed Rox risers. I was able to file down the riser but I have no idea what you can do with your handlebars. Might it mean different handlebars?:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

Thanks hog, i was thinking that as well. I will go with Cool Jugs if spending that kind of money.

I rode today but the temp was only 98. I have Love Jugs Fans, and they do help with cooling the motor down. I only feel the Hot Air when I'm stopped, but all I do is move my foot / leg onto the foot pegs to miss the flow of hot air. . Works for me.

I also have heating issue. Wanting to start with a Tank lift. I believe I will run into issues :confused: with the tank lift hitting the handlebars when turning left or right. I have installed LA Chopper Twin Peaks 12" with 1.5" in dia. Been looking into DK Customs Deluxe Tank Lift. Here are a few pix's showing the clearance issues I am foreseeing.

View attachment 89738View attachment 89739View attachment 89740View attachment 89741

You can check for clearance really easily, take about 10 minutes, then you will know-

[FONT=&quot]1. Take the bolts out of the front of your tank.

2. Loosen (do not remove) the bolt(s) at the rear of your tank, slide the tank all the way back in the slots.

3. Turn your handlebars all the way to the left and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.

4. Turn your handlebars all the way to the right and raise the tank up your desired lift height to check for clearance issues.
[/FONT]

Be careful when lifting your tank, you do not want to hit against something (forks, handlebars, trees, blinkers, etc.) when checking for clearance.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png