slight vibration almost like a hum

Reaction score
Picked up my 2017 TriGlide from the shop yesterday. They put a new Avon Cobra Trike tire on the front and checked the brakes. The mechanic said that the wheel and tire were balanced without any weight which is pretty rare. When I went for a ride today it seems that I have a slight vibration (almost like a hum), I don't think anyone else would even notice it but I've driven it 42,000 miles and I know its different. I can feel it on the handle bars at all speeds. I'm running 45 lbs of air and I put 5 oz of "Ride On" tire balancer and sealant in it. Has anyone had this kind of experience?

Tom

I really can't help you but thought I would post this, on the HD forums there is a big discussion about the Avon trike tire, I read most of it and when I get around for a front tire, I don't think it will be this. Some people have ride on and then got rid of it, some had other things done and basically some just went with a tire and regular wheel weights and are happy. One person had his tire like you with no weights and I don't believe you can have a perfect tire and rim balance without a weight, never heard of it. So I would take it someplace else and have it checked out, just me, I have heard there is a hum going down the road

All for now Trampas

Picked up my 2017 TriGlide from the shop yesterday. They put a new Avon Cobra Trike tire on the front and checked the brakes. The mechanic said that the wheel and tire were balanced without any weight which is pretty rare. When I went for a ride today it seems that I have a slight vibration (almost like a hum), I don't think anyone else would even notice it but I've driven it 42,000 miles and I know its different. I can feel it on the handle bars at all speeds. I'm running 45 lbs of air and I put 5 oz of "Ride On" tire balancer and sealant in it. Has anyone had this kind of experience?

Tom

45 LBS Of air is way too much in my opinion....35/36 Is recommend ...I used ride-on in my Slingshot tires and i noticed a slight vibration..But after about a thousand miles i got used to it.:Shrug:...

I had a Avon Trike tire put on my 17 and it did the same thing,took it back to the dealer they called the supplier and they sent me a new one,same thing could feel it in the bars.So my buddy had a stock front wheel and tire and after putting it on smooth as glass.Long story short i found a set of Freewheeler wheels and replaced the stock wheels with them and its all good now.I have no idea why the Avon had that buzzy feeling but i for one will never by another one.

Avon BUZZ

There are a couple of posts on the AV91 Front trike tire! I have tried 39;40;41 and 42 lbs and the Buzzing in the grips comes on around the 45 to 60 mph! 41 and 42 lbs according to Avon for this tire? I've put about 1500 mi on this tire and have kind of gotten used to it but it is annoying!

The tire is an awesome performer on my 2016 Triglide! Even better since installing the pro action 14" shocks an lift kit from DK Customs! They set the shocks and I installed them and the lift kit! The Trike Corners like a sports car and handles 35mph curves @ 55. It doesn't seem like it's trying to throw me off any more the shocks work Great but the tire Buzz's.?

Sorry your's Buzz's all the time!

Avon

After reading about the Avon trike tire i installed one on front last fall-i only have about 2 k on it so far and DO HAVE some slight viberation in the bars at hi-way speed, NOT MUCH but definetly some. I’ll have the dealer check it next time im there but at this point i am NOT impressed with this tire.

:Coffee:

I love the handling of the tire! The Buzz is annoying! I'm headed for Sturgis on 3 Aug and hope to find an Avon rep there! I got my tire on line from D kirk maybe they will be there!

There are enough people out there with this Buzzing Gripe maybe Avon will step up and make it right!

I'm gonna run 41lbs to Sturgis but I don't believe that any amount of miles on the tire will get rid of the Buzz!?

I have about 800 miles on mine , added 3 oz's of equal balancing beads 38 pounds of air seems great to me .These shops saying they balance perfect with no weights I say bullshit :D

I have about 800 miles on mine , added 3 oz's of equal balancing beads 38 pounds of air seems great to me .These shops saying they balance perfect with no weights I say bullshit :D

What I would like to know is the balance r machine these shops are using, are they calibrated each day? I bet not

My Avon had a slight buzz on my 16 with RideON. Put 5600 on it . Had dealer reinstall & balance on my 20 & get rid of the RideOn. No buzz on my 20. Now little over 8800 or so on that tire & performing great. On my first Avon had over 23000 & was still in limits. Only got 14000 on the Dunflop

GOOD POINT........:Coffee:

Come to find out It's a POS balancer! The old dunlop had 4 stick on weights the AVON took 2?

There is no outside balance marking on the tire for the valve stem position??

I've read on here that the tire beads or whatever they are called worked for some?

I may try them?

I am close to needing a front tire on my 17 Freewheeler. I was considering the Avon until I see these problems. I have 21, 350 on my original front Dunlop, my selling dealer has 50.00 off the tire and discounted the mount and balance, I may chose this. I have had good luck with Dunlops, tho I have run Avons in the past with pretty good luck. I am wondering if Avon is having a manufacturing problem?

I dont know if its a issue with Avon or not.I have run Avons on a bunch of my bikes without any glitch,some of you know the issues i have had with this 17 so i just figured it was more of my outhouse luck.But two different tires with the same issue and new wheel bearings.Maybe it is a issue with the shops balancing machine but since switching to Freewheeler wheels the Avon on my stock rim is a non issue,shame the tire doesnt have 500 miles on it.

I am close to needing a front tire on my 17 Freewheeler. I was considering the Avon until I see these problems. I have 21, 350 on my original front Dunlop, my selling dealer has 50.00 off the tire and discounted the mount and balance, I may chose this. I have had good luck with Dunlops, tho I have run Avons in the past with pretty good luck. I am wondering if Avon is having a manufacturing problem?
Jack most likely installer but why so finicky is my question. Fred

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png