Water Softener

CrystalPistol

Apr 27, 2010
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Last winter we were in Lowe's, saw a clearance display with a nice price on a Water Softener. Well, my old one was starting to leak in a valve and it was 25 years old, and I wanted to switch to Potassium Chloride softener salt, so I bought it. It's installed and full and is working well …

… but I have the old one on my basement stoop, and that sucker is heavy. I got most all the old Sodium Chloride out as well as water, I can off load it at the recycle center … but did I mention it's heavy. No hand holds. Tomorrow, I'm gonna take a sawsall to it, cut the resin tank and put resins in old coffee cans. They are mostly plastic anyway, no biohazards. Just a mess, but I bet it'll be some lighter.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57565-Potassium-Chloride-or-Sodium-Chloride

Last winter we were in Lowe's, saw a clearance display with a nice price on a Water Softener. Well, my old one was starting to leak in a valve and it was 25 years old, and I wanted to switch to Potassium Chloride softener salt, so I bought it. It's installed and full and is working well …

… but I have the old one on my basement stoop, and that sucker is heavy. I got most all the old Sodium Chloride out as well as water, I can off load it at the recycle center … but did I mention it's heavy. No hand holds. Tomorrow, I'm gonna take a sawsall to it, cut the resin tank and put resins in old coffee cans. They are mostly plastic anyway, no biohazards. Just a mess, but I bet it'll be some lighter.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57565-Potassium-Chloride-or-Sodium-Chloride

Cut hand holes with the saws-all ....Wear gloves....

Be careful and don't spill the resin beads. If you get enough on your shoes it is like trying to walk on Ice. Where I used to work, we changed out the resin in our water softener, two tanks with 30 cu. ft. per tank. It was a mess. Most was sucked out by a vacuum truck.

Ok , I thought it was one of those galvanized monsters.
No, but I think as heavy as a new dry one is, this one is heavier because it maybe has a water logged resin tank, not dry resins.

I thought about cutting hand holds in the outer body but wonder if the plastic will tear like if I run straps through them and use a come a long hung from a beam to lift and back my truck under it. I'd have to "drop" the thing off the tailgate at the recycle center. Like said, I have most of the salt out of it, I moved it outside with my hand truck.

I hauled one to the dump years ago, it was a manual one, it turned over in my truck and made a mess. I was younger and did not own a sawsall then either.

Yeah, I'll aim to at least photo whatever I do, I know I'm not the first.

Might be worth it to have the proper company come in and remove it for you... a sting in the pocketbook but DONE and out of your life...without wrecking/messing anything or your body...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png