SE 255 Cams

Bruce

Sep 9, 2010
NY, USA
been thinking about putting the se 255 cams in my 2010 tri-glide ultra -- anyone have them installed or others? any suggestions, comments
thanks in advance for any help, Bruce

I have them in my '08 Ultra/Champion with a 103" kit, Heavy Breather and Rinehart True Duals. They provide a marked increase in torque between 2500 and 5000 rpm and 6th gear is a lot more useable. They are not "high lift" cams but are "long duration" which means they deliver more fuel by keeping the intake valves open longer. As previously said, you will want to do the better flowing air filter and pipes to get the full potential from the cams which in turn will require some sort of fuel management system to allow the cams to deliver the additional fuel.

I have done the pipes, air, got rid of the cat and have a tuner but would like a little more. Just getting rid of the stuff I listed made a world of difference. I'm sure I will have to do the adjustable push rods also.
What did it do to your gas mileage? I'm planning on pulling a trailer and was just wondering.
Bruce

Don't know that you will need the adjustable rods as the lift of the cams doesn't change from stock.....just duration. I don't know how much the cams affected gas mileage. I had all the engine mods done while it was being triked to compensate for the additional weight. I was getting about 38mpg as a stock two wheeler and now get between 32-34mpg with my current set-up. I'm considering installing the Thunder Max TBW ECU next month because I'm still running a little lean with the SERT an I like the idea of the constant auto tune feature of the T-max. A little pricey but once installed I don't have to run to the tuner every time I make an engine/exhaust modification.

I have them in my 08 and it pulls like a truck but the fuel mileage is about the same as dogs... It was redone when I got it before i triked it is still a little fresh in the engine department but still runs very good...It is also a 103 with the heavy breather and pipes... I like dog am very pleased with it but plan on a V/H fuel pack in the near future...

My 103 has S&S 510G cams with adjustable rods. The adjustable rods were used so I did not have to remove the heads for the mod. The cams are great. 104 ft lbs of torque at 3700 rpms. The torque comes on at 78 ft lbs at 1600 rpms and climbs up from there almost straight line to the peak reading.

Don't know that you will need the adjustable rods as the lift of the cams doesn't change from stock.....just duration. I don't know how much the cams affected gas mileage. I had all the engine mods done while it was being triked to compensate for the additional weight. I was getting about 38mpg as a stock two wheeler and now get between 32-34mpg with my current set-up. I'm considering installing the Thunder Max TBW ECU next month because I'm still running a little lean with the SERT an I like the idea of the constant auto tune feature of the T-max. A little pricey but once installed I don't have to run to the tuner every time I make an engine/exhaust modification.

With just installing the SE255 cams he does not need adjustable push rods.

I was looking at the 557's but I'm a little leary about moving parts inside the cams ( just me I guess ) I called a dealer the other day and they said they would not put in the 255's without doing the adjustable pushrods -- he said they could have it done in one day and the price would be $950- seems a little high but I'm not real familiar with the pricing down here in florida -- guess I'll have to wait till I get back to NY next month and check them out there.

The reason the dealer wants to install adjustable pushrods is it makes it easier on them as well as selling you the pushrods. It's not that much more work to remove the rockers and keep your pushrods. I've went both routes. Ended up with one piece pushrods. A lot less to worry about. $900 seems steep to me.

I would like to get them installed while I'm down here in florida, next month up north all the shops will be busy getting ready for the spring rush. I'm going to call around down here to some independant shops and see what they are charging.

I was looking at the 557's but I'm a little leary about moving parts inside the cams ( just me I guess ) I called a dealer the other day and they said they would not put in the 255's without doing the adjustable pushrods -- he said they could have it done in one day and the price would be $950- seems a little high but I'm not real familiar with the pricing down here in florida -- guess I'll have to wait till I get back to NY next month and check them out there.

$950.00 is WAY too much!!! My dealer did all my engine work when I had the 103" install and cams. Tried to find my bill for the exact price but have misplaced it.....but as I recall the complete job was around $1100.00. I didn't buy the complete SE 103" Big Bore Kit because he bored my stock cylinders himself and saved me the cost of new cylinders. I'm no mechanic by far but would think a cam change would be about a three hour job or less. If labor was $100.00 an hour you should be able to have the job done for under $500.00 including the price of the cams.

I know the HD dealer has to make some money but $950- as far as I was concerned was way out of line-- I called all three of their dealerships and one gave me a price of $900- but the other two were the same price of $950:Computer:

We did the Wood 555 cams on my wife's trike. It pulls really good. Also did Fulsac ceramic pipes, big sucker stage one air, adj push rods and TTS. Happy so far with a few thousand miles on the build. Mileage is lousy (30 - 35), but not much worse than before the mods.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png