1984 goldwing with the shakes!

dd trike

Mar 1, 2021
Morgan Hill
new to trikes but not motorcycles, just got a 1984 goldwing trike wants to shake the bars out of your hands at 30-40 mph never tried any faster after that, got a PM into papa about this. would like to hear any input on my problem . thanks:(

new to trikes but not motorcycles, just got a 1984 goldwing trike wants to shake the bars out of your hands at 30-40 mph never tried any faster after that, got a PM into papa about this. would like to hear any input on my problem . thanks:(

Dave.......Can't help with the shake....But i will Welcome you to Trike-Talk..:wave4:..

Re; The shakes. Two things come to mind. How old are the tires? You could have tread separation. Second item to check is steering head bearing.

As to steering like a truck, a rake kit will take care of that. Good luck and welcome..... Jim

thanks

Needs a set of raked triple trees, but I only have trees for the GL1500s and GL1800s. You might try a Google search for GL1200 rake kit or GL1200 raked triple trees.

just no rake kits for this old bike, my buddy in crime was one of the top 10 bike builders back in the day with Indian Larry, Arlen Ness, Jesse James etc, says we will cut the neck pull it out no big deal. will let you all know how it works out.

Just my 2 cents worth. Unless trike has sentimental value or other personal reasons, l would consider selling it and upgrading to a 1500 wing trike. More power and available parts. If you shop around you can locate a decent 1500 trike with raked kit in the 5-8 k range.

1ED9487C-2CAA-499A-A6D6-629A3A146D71.jpeg

I purchased this 1988 1500 with motor trike kit and rake kit for 2800$ on Craigslist last spring. It’s not a beauty but it’s comfortable and dependable. Just recently retired and sold my Stallion and have made this my last trike. Have been offered 5000$ several times but gonna keep it cause it’s cheap comfortable dependable and lots of if power to pull my kwik kamp trailer. Cruise interstates at speed limit all day and lots of parts available. Just my opinion but you know what works for you. Good luck with your wing trike. :wave4:

More rake does two things: one, it makes the wheelbase longer, and two, it generally increases a motorcycle's trail.

Adding raked triple trees (rake kit) always decreases the trail, which results in much easier steering. That is the specific reason that aftermarket trike rake kits were developed.

shakes

OK trike has 64 thousand miles on it, riden by a woman, something must have happend could not have always shook like this? (does need a tire and fork seals leak) NEED HELP !!!!!!!! thanks:(

KISS, start by jacking up the front end. Observe and note any looseness and or binding in the fork and wheel bearings. Spin the front tire to check for high and low spots and wobble. With 60K I would be replacing that tire just because. Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png