how fast

I topped out your trike...just never told you. :laugh:

Not really, would not do that.

I think we do have some video of doing some wheelies on your trike...but I asked you first. :D

Jack, personally I am comfortable (in clear of traffic conditions) cruising at 80-85. I don't mind speeding up to 90-95 passing, but I never stay there for more than a few seconds. Things happen too fast at that speed for me.

Kevin

It is ALL good Kevin, I trust you;) I usually set my cruise control for 80 MPH I can still throttle up If I have to

It is ALL good Kevin, I trust you;) I usually set my cruise control for 80 MPH I can still throttle up If I have to

I tried that in Kansas with head winds 2 years age coming back from the 4 Corners Rally in Durango, CO. That's when my MPG dropped from 39 to 31 MPG and I ran out of gas 5 miles short of my scheduled stop.

That's when the quart of Tru-Fuel bubble wrapped in the trunk saved me.:clapping:

I tried that in Kansas with head winds 2 years age coming back from the 4 Corners Rally in Durango, CO. That's when my MPG dropped from 39 to 31 MPG and I ran out of gas 5 miles short of my scheduled stop.

That's when the quart of Tru-Fuel bubble wrapped in the trunk saved me.:clapping:

Yep, that mpg really starts dropping over 70 mph, and/or in a strong headwind!

Kevin

Reading this thread has me curious about my speed. I know my previous GL1800 2 wheelers would do in excess of 60 MPH in 2nd gear and in excess of 85 in 3rd. I think the top rated speed was somewhere around 135. Haven't tried pushing the trike but might just give it a go. I'm sure it will not be near as quick as a 2 wheeler but I have had it over 90 and felt comfortable..... Jim

Don't really care. The trike is for relaxation, seems to do the speed limit wherever . I looked for speed on 2 but 3 is not needed for me. ;)

Flame away. lololol

I feel the same way. I've pushed mine to 90 a couple of times on the interstate but 99% of the time, I'm just riding my ride and enjoying myself.

Yep, that mpg really starts dropping over 70 mph, and/or in a strong headwind!

Kevin

Hey Kevin...at 70mph without the headwind, I was getting right at 40-41 mpg. cruising around town I get a little over 39mpg.

I attribute this stellar performance to your Thundervolt spark plug wires, deluxe tank lift kit & wing deflectors.:Dorag::clapping:

That with a K&N air filter & an external breather system of my design that I ripped off & duplicated from this forum.

Reading this thread has me curious about my speed. I know my previous GL1800 2 wheelers would do in excess of 60 MPH in 2nd gear and in excess of 85 in 3rd. I think the top rated speed was somewhere around 135. Haven't tried pushing the trike but might just give it a go. I'm sure it will not be near as quick as a 2 wheeler but I have had it over 90 and felt comfortable..... Jim

On my Trip-Glide, in 6th gear, at 70mph I'm doing 3,000rpms, at 80mph, I'm doing 3,400rpms.

That maths out to around 4,200rpms at 100mph. It feels like the Trike still has at lot left....

I don't think the limiting factor to top speed will be gearing, or the motor....

I don't think I'll have the nerve to find out....

Chuck

On my Trip-Glide, in 6th gear, at 70mph I'm doing 3,000rpms, at 80mph, I'm doing 3,400rpms.

That maths out to around 4,200rpms at 100mph. It feels like the Trike still has at lot left....

I don't think the limiting factor to top speed will be gearing, or the motor....

I don't think I'll have the nerve to find out....

Chuck

Interesting comparison. I only have 5 gears but am doing exactly the same as you, 3000RPM at 70MPH in 5th. And same as HD, my MPG goes way down after 3000 RPM. Today I had a chance to see what 2nd gear could produce. I took it to red-line (6000) and my speedo read 66 or 67. I couldn't be exact because I was doing quick glances at the gages and didn't hold it there for very long. Besides, I was on a city street with a 45 MPH limit. That's enough fooling around with speed for me. I'll join Bill and just enjoy the ride..... Jim

How much did it cost to get your speedometer certification :D:wave4:

He was cool he has a street glide, he like my trike. but still had to give a ticket, it was supposed to be $475 but he wright it up for 74mph so it was $124 . Like Daddy used to say you shit the bed you deal with it !

went for ride yesterday hit long stretch straight wide open in sixth gear would go no faster than 98miles hour. tried it twice same . anyone else tried to see how fast theirs will go.pipes and cat opend up,free flow air cleaner, fuel enricher. don:t need to here about why i shouldn"t do or think about this.

1999 Valkyrie Interstate MotorTrike Kit 76,000 miles, Speed well over 100 mph !!!

Limited speed and rev's

The dealer told me the 2020's have a rev limiter set at 5500 RPM. And A Speed governor set at 110 MPH. I know the rev limiter works well. Several times the bike shut down for a second or 2 when I exceeded 5500 RPM Then picked right back up. As for the Speed governor, I lost my nerve at about age 35.

went to hd shop, mech. said he though it needed a tuner. asked how much a leak test would cost didnt even want to look it up. said with weight and wind resistence that sounded about right. other one said i need to go to 144. will check with some indys.

went to hd shop, mech. said he though it needed a tuner. asked how much a leak test would cost didnt even want to look it up. said with weight and wind resistence that sounded about right. other one said i need to go to 144. will check with some indys.

I would not even consider purchasing a used bike without doing a leak down test first. I would not do any major work on any bike of mine without doing a leak down test first. It is the only way to know what is really going on inside the engine.

There is no doubt that the weight and wind resistance put a significant extra drag on a Trike, but you can't map out a plan forward without knowing where your starting point is.

Kevin

100... no more

I speed test all my bikes. It's in my DNA. At 120 or so all my bikes without fairings started to lift and I got scared. Now I only have the 2018 TriGlide. Had it up to 100 on US 20 near INL. I will not do it again. Too much can go wrong. But... we just have to know.:D

P.S. Get a 1996 Chevy Caprice up to 120 and watch the digital speedo go whack.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png