how fast

I topped out your trike...just never told you. :laugh:

Not really, would not do that.

I think we do have some video of doing some wheelies on your trike...but I asked you first. :D

Jack, personally I am comfortable (in clear of traffic conditions) cruising at 80-85. I don't mind speeding up to 90-95 passing, but I never stay there for more than a few seconds. Things happen too fast at that speed for me.

Kevin

It is ALL good Kevin, I trust you;) I usually set my cruise control for 80 MPH I can still throttle up If I have to

It is ALL good Kevin, I trust you;) I usually set my cruise control for 80 MPH I can still throttle up If I have to

I tried that in Kansas with head winds 2 years age coming back from the 4 Corners Rally in Durango, CO. That's when my MPG dropped from 39 to 31 MPG and I ran out of gas 5 miles short of my scheduled stop.

That's when the quart of Tru-Fuel bubble wrapped in the trunk saved me.:clapping:

I tried that in Kansas with head winds 2 years age coming back from the 4 Corners Rally in Durango, CO. That's when my MPG dropped from 39 to 31 MPG and I ran out of gas 5 miles short of my scheduled stop.

That's when the quart of Tru-Fuel bubble wrapped in the trunk saved me.:clapping:

Yep, that mpg really starts dropping over 70 mph, and/or in a strong headwind!

Kevin

Reading this thread has me curious about my speed. I know my previous GL1800 2 wheelers would do in excess of 60 MPH in 2nd gear and in excess of 85 in 3rd. I think the top rated speed was somewhere around 135. Haven't tried pushing the trike but might just give it a go. I'm sure it will not be near as quick as a 2 wheeler but I have had it over 90 and felt comfortable..... Jim

Yep, that mpg really starts dropping over 70 mph, and/or in a strong headwind!

Kevin

Hey Kevin...at 70mph without the headwind, I was getting right at 40-41 mpg. cruising around town I get a little over 39mpg.

I attribute this stellar performance to your Thundervolt spark plug wires, deluxe tank lift kit & wing deflectors.:Dorag::clapping:

That with a K&N air filter & an external breather system of my design that I ripped off & duplicated from this forum.

Reading this thread has me curious about my speed. I know my previous GL1800 2 wheelers would do in excess of 60 MPH in 2nd gear and in excess of 85 in 3rd. I think the top rated speed was somewhere around 135. Haven't tried pushing the trike but might just give it a go. I'm sure it will not be near as quick as a 2 wheeler but I have had it over 90 and felt comfortable..... Jim

On my Trip-Glide, in 6th gear, at 70mph I'm doing 3,000rpms, at 80mph, I'm doing 3,400rpms.

That maths out to around 4,200rpms at 100mph. It feels like the Trike still has at lot left....

I don't think the limiting factor to top speed will be gearing, or the motor....

I don't think I'll have the nerve to find out....

Chuck

On my Trip-Glide, in 6th gear, at 70mph I'm doing 3,000rpms, at 80mph, I'm doing 3,400rpms.

That maths out to around 4,200rpms at 100mph. It feels like the Trike still has at lot left....

I don't think the limiting factor to top speed will be gearing, or the motor....

I don't think I'll have the nerve to find out....

Chuck

Interesting comparison. I only have 5 gears but am doing exactly the same as you, 3000RPM at 70MPH in 5th. And same as HD, my MPG goes way down after 3000 RPM. Today I had a chance to see what 2nd gear could produce. I took it to red-line (6000) and my speedo read 66 or 67. I couldn't be exact because I was doing quick glances at the gages and didn't hold it there for very long. Besides, I was on a city street with a 45 MPH limit. That's enough fooling around with speed for me. I'll join Bill and just enjoy the ride..... Jim

How much did it cost to get your speedometer certification :D:wave4:

He was cool he has a street glide, he like my trike. but still had to give a ticket, it was supposed to be $475 but he wright it up for 74mph so it was $124 . Like Daddy used to say you shit the bed you deal with it !

went for ride yesterday hit long stretch straight wide open in sixth gear would go no faster than 98miles hour. tried it twice same . anyone else tried to see how fast theirs will go.pipes and cat opend up,free flow air cleaner, fuel enricher. don:t need to here about why i shouldn"t do or think about this.

1999 Valkyrie Interstate MotorTrike Kit 76,000 miles, Speed well over 100 mph !!!

Limited speed and rev's

The dealer told me the 2020's have a rev limiter set at 5500 RPM. And A Speed governor set at 110 MPH. I know the rev limiter works well. Several times the bike shut down for a second or 2 when I exceeded 5500 RPM Then picked right back up. As for the Speed governor, I lost my nerve at about age 35.

went to hd shop, mech. said he though it needed a tuner. asked how much a leak test would cost didnt even want to look it up. said with weight and wind resistence that sounded about right. other one said i need to go to 144. will check with some indys.

went to hd shop, mech. said he though it needed a tuner. asked how much a leak test would cost didnt even want to look it up. said with weight and wind resistence that sounded about right. other one said i need to go to 144. will check with some indys.

I would not even consider purchasing a used bike without doing a leak down test first. I would not do any major work on any bike of mine without doing a leak down test first. It is the only way to know what is really going on inside the engine.

There is no doubt that the weight and wind resistance put a significant extra drag on a Trike, but you can't map out a plan forward without knowing where your starting point is.

Kevin

100... no more

I speed test all my bikes. It's in my DNA. At 120 or so all my bikes without fairings started to lift and I got scared. Now I only have the 2018 TriGlide. Had it up to 100 on US 20 near INL. I will not do it again. Too much can go wrong. But... we just have to know.:D

P.S. Get a 1996 Chevy Caprice up to 120 and watch the digital speedo go whack.

Back