IRS Installation

molokaimike

150+ Posts
Mar 28, 2020
Surprise, AZ, USA
I posted the removal of the OEM rear suspension under "Bit the Bullet". I'm starting a new thread on the installation of the new IRS rear suspension from IMC. Below is a photo of the swingarm mount that will attach where the OEM swingarm mounts and the IRS unit will attach to it in the slotted holes. I do need a favor from someone, I need to know the measurement from the center of the bottom of the rear frame to the ground. The IRS unit has an adjustment that lets you set the ride height and I'd like to be as close to stock as possible.

Swingarm.jpg

Interested to know the manufacturer is of this conversion unit. Have had toughts of doing this. Do you have a URL address for the ink you referred to "Bite the bullet" ??

8~\o

The IRS unit that I'm installing is made by a company called IMC and they are here in Goodyear AZ. Their url is http://www.imctrike.com/. I've been to their shop many times and talked with the owner who took me into the shop where they are made. They are very beefy and well made and are designed to be a plug and play type of installation. The stock Harley wiring harness for the reverse motor plugs into their system so you can use the switch on your handlebars, you can use your stock shocks with their unit and there are no holes to drill to mount the body or anything else. I should be able to pick up my unit either today or tomorrow and get started on the installation. I'll be posting photos on this thread of the installation process.

Very nice set up. It looks like rear camber is adjustable? Is there any other adjustments?

Yes, the ride height is adjustable and because two of the shocks are OEM the preload is adjustable. This is a very beefy unit, well made with quality parts. The brake system is made by Wilwood and is compatible with the Harley ABS system. The shocks that come with it are Progressive, the reverse motor plugs into the Harley system so you use your existing handlebar switch to back up. Barring any issues I should have it up and running by the weekend.

Got the brake lines hooked up now I just have to bleed them. Got the ABS system connected to the new IRS unit. Got the body & muffler mount installed and a few other things taken care of. Went to the muffle shop to get them started on making my new crossover pipe which should be ready by Friday.

Body & muffler mount installed.jpg

I bled them and have a good hard pedal so I think I'm good. I'll probably take it to the dealer so they can put it on their machine to make sure it's good. I replaced the brake lines on my 2014 Ultra and didn't have any problems. All I had to do here is transfer the brake lines to the new calipers and I fill them before I connected the lines, there wasn't much fluid leaking out of the lines when I transferred them so I think I'm good to go.

Yes, the ride height is adjustable and because two of the shocks are OEM the preload is adjustable. This is a very beefy unit, well made with quality parts. The brake system is made by Wilwood and is compatible with the Harley ABS system. The shocks that come with it are Progressive, the reverse motor plugs into the Harley system so you use your existing handlebar switch to back up. Barring any issues I should have it up and running by the weekend.

Did the kit come with 2 shocks or 4 ? What brand of mufflers do you have ? It will be interesting to see if the brakes did bleed out correctly ? Most everything is aluminum ? Why did you have it powered coated ? It look's Great .

The unit is designed to use 4 shocks. If you are converting a bike into a trike the kit you get will have 4 progressive shocks. If you are converting a trike to the IRS unit it comes with 2 progressive shocks and you use your OEM shocks in the vacant 2 shock locations. On the 2019 and up models Harley got rid of the air shocks and went with a coil over shock that has a remote preload adjuster. This will allow me to adjust the preload without having to get out the spanner wrench and adjust the adjusting ring at the bottom of the shock.

I have the Vance & Hinds slipons made for trikes. They have the same low rumble that their monster ovals do on touring models. Living in Arizona I didn't see the need to powder coat the unit because of the low corrosion environment here. But the unit uses a a combination of steel and aluminum and I didn't want to worry about any dissimilar metal issues. I probably didn't need to be concerned about it but I figured what the hell. I've bled Harley's ABS brakes system before on my other bikes with no problem but I will probably take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to their ABS tester to be sure.

Just took the first test ride with the IRS kit installed. I didn't put the body back on yet in case I had to make some adjustments I didn't want to have to take it off again. It road smooth on the neighborhood streets, I stayed local because of no license plate or lights but some of my streets are a little rough and the IRS did smooth them out.

The one thing that will need to be adjusted is the preload, there was a lot of lean out in the corners. I cranked the progressive shocks to the 3rd notch on the preload but the OEM shocks are still set to 0. I may crank in one more notch of preload on the progressive shocks before I put the body on because now they are easy to get too. Once the body is on I'll make the adjustments with the OEM shocks because it's easy to do. It's still early but all in all I'm happy with the unit.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png