IRS Installation

Yes I did, the hard part was finding a pipe with the correct diameter, muffler shops don't carry that size. Went to 3 different auto parts stores and finally found the correct size pipe. It was a straight pipe with one flared end and a 90* pipe. The muffler shop put a 45* bend at the flared end then cut it to length and welded it to the 90* pipe. I'll have to take a photo of it installed.

Yes I did, the hard part was finding a pipe with the correct diameter, muffler shops don't carry that size. .

Could they not have used a slightly smaller diameter pipe and after it was formed, expand the ends to the proper size???? I don't think that slight bit of decrease would hurt the exhaust flow that much....

Lon

Looks nice Mike!I wondered how much it was gonna lean when I didn't see a sway bar in any of the pics. I wonder why they didn't put one on it.

Looks nice Mike!I wondered how much it was gonna lean when I didn't see a sway bar in any of the pics. I wonder why they didn't put one on it.

You know, that's a good question. I think I'll ask the owner of IMC that question. I'll even offer my bike to use so he can design one.

Done at last, all that remains is to give it a bath and do some more test rides to adjust the suspension. This has been a labor of love but it was fulfilling to watch it come together. For some reason I can't get the final photo to load.

I found this verry interesting , now ride it 1000 miles and tell us if you would do it again ? I might do it this winter ? Can you tell us the $$$$. Looks good Great job Enjoy the ride

It shows a price of $8,525 on their web site imctrike.com. I opted for the powder coat which added to the price plus my trike has ABS brakes so that is extra. All of the prices are shown on their site. I wouldn't do it again until I've had a nap and a few beers. :laugh: The big test will be my upcoming ride to Missouri and back next month, then I can report on how it handles. Right now I will be riding around town and playing with different preload settings to deal with the lean out.

I did about 160 miles today and all I can say is WOW. What a smoother ride compared to the straight axle. I cranked in some extra preload on the OEM shocks and it made a difference in the lean out. Half way through the ride I stopped and cranked in some more preload and it made the lean out even better. The ride does get a little stiffer with more preload but that's to be expected. I'm just trying to find the happy balance between acceptable lean out and smooth ride. I'll keep playing the the OEM shocks because they are the easiest to adjust. All in all I'm very satisfied with the IRS unit from IMC.

Done at last.jpgDone at last.jpg

Ride report

I just returned from a 3,121 mile trip to Missouri and back. This was a good shake down cruise of the new IRS rear end that I installed. I'm happy to report the I had no issues at all with the IRS unit and that the ride was pretty smooth overall. I was pretty heavily loaded, probably over the gross weight limit for the trike so I had a lot of preload cranked in. I was riding 2 up with a weeks worth of gear for both of us so I expected the ride to be a little harsh but it wasn't really that bad.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the IRS unit and can't imagine what the trip would have been like with the OEM rear suspension. I did make a few adjustments to the preload setting but it was just a matter of removing the seat and cranking on the adjustment knob. I'll be making a 260 mile trip this Saturday with just me and minimal gear so I'll have a better feel on how it rides under normal conditions.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lclay23
Back