1500 Rear Air Shock losing pressure ???

TwoBye

550+ Posts
Feb 4, 2014
Washington C. H.
For the first time since I've owned this trike my rear air shock is losing pressure in a VERY short time. For example, wife and I (and we are both large people) took it for breakfast this morning to a restaurant about 15 miles from home. Before we left town I noticed it was rubbing the rear tire. Stopped and checked air pressure and it was way low (approx 7 lbs). Pumped it up with onboard compressor to 85 lbs and resumed our ride. Before we arrived it was low again. Stopped, checked and it was down to 12 lbs. Had to stop and pump it back up three times on the ride home. Parked in the garage for now. Since it does pump up as normal and only leaks down rapidly do I need to look for a line leak or is it the shock itself? I know it's only a guess on your behalf but I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

TwoBye (Brad)

I would start with checking the line connections with soapy water for leaks

If you can reach the air shocks you can also spray the bottoms of the air bladders on the shocks to check for leaks

First and foremost, I have a 1999 GL1500SE Trike w/CSC kit.

OK guys and gals, I did the spray it down with Dawn soap with water and saw NO bubbles at all. Only problem is I couldn't get to the bottom of the shock because it is right above the rear axle center section and has a nice large boot on it to keep it protected from the elements and I couldn't get any spray directly on it and really couldn't see the results anyway. I did spray the line and fittings as best I could and found nothing. Thing that bothers me is when I pump it up to 75 lbs or higher and immediately shut the motor off to listen for leaks with the seat removed I hear absolutely nothing. No bubbles to see and no air leaks to hear yet it will go from 80 lbs to 5 lbs in a matter of a couple minutes or even less.

I am resigned to believe it is the shock itself so here goes the question of the day: Does anyone make a new replacement shock for this unit? If so where do you all recommend purchasing one? If not, what are my options in your opinion. Please be kind and remember I am retired like most of you so on a fixed income. Thanks in advance.

TwoBye

Did you check lines at the air compressor under the seat:wave4:

Well, as best I can. I sprayed them with soap and water solution and watched for bubbles. Didn't see any but can't say I did an extremely thorough job. Is that a 'hot spot' for air leaks? Easy to fix?

Brad

Not necessarily, but any and all hose and hose fittings are prone to leak or get brittle. Have you checked the air hose that’s in the trike trunk. It shouldn’t be under pressure unless you activate the air pressure/pump switch on the right side fairing panel, but the check valve in your compressor may be leaking. Just thinking outside the box. Good luck with your search

Not necessarily, but any and all hose and hose fittings are prone to leak or get brittle. Have you checked the air hose that’s in the trike trunk. It shouldn’t be under pressure unless you activate the air pressure/pump switch on the right side fairing panel, but the check valve in your compressor may be leaking. Just thinking outside the box. Good luck with your search

No but I will now! Thank You so much for your help.

I'm not familiar with what CSC did but what you are describing sounds like my setup.The stock air cylinder was moved to the center.If thats the case there is just a seal that isn't very hard to change.

I'm not familiar with what CSC did but what you are describing sounds like my setup.The stock air cylinder was moved to the center.If thats the case there is just a seal that isn't very hard to change.

Is the seal you speak of still available?

Is the seal you speak of still available?

If CSC did what Champion did and use 2 aftermarket shocks on each side and move the original air cylinder to the middle thats what mine has.Its actually an oil seal so if they changed the shock over the years and I doubt they did the size off the old one should get you one to work.That said here what I used https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1990/gl1500se-a-gold-wing-se/shock-absorber

I have no idea what year my cylinder is off but it worked in mine.When I say cylinder it isn't a shock or spring so theres nothing in there.They did have some oil in them but I doubt theres any still there.

Silly question for the collective minds. What if I were to get a couple of short yet strong hood struts to replace the original air shock in the middle of the rear suspension? Something fully extended when body sits at normal height and only compresses when passenger gets on board. Would they be of any assistance or not once they are collapsed? I was also thinking about replacing the outer progressive shocks with the nitrogen pre-loaded air shocks. Would they be any stronger than the progressives? I have WAY more questions than I have answers at this point. Thanks for any comments.

TwoBye

If CSC did what Champion did and use 2 aftermarket shocks on each side and move the original air cylinder to the middle thats what mine has.Its actually an oil seal so if they changed the shock over the years and I doubt they did the size off the old one should get you one to work.That said here what I used https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/1990/gl1500se-a-gold-wing-se/shock-absorber

I have no idea what year my cylinder is off but it worked in mine.When I say cylinder it isn't a shock or spring so theres nothing in there.They did have some oil in them but I doubt theres any still there.

And yes, they did. And that shock is no longer available. Just my luck!

If the air shock is bad and it’s a original Goldwing part why not purchase another from eBay that’s in good working order. Or am I confused about which shock you’re sourcing. :wave4:

Have you determined the air shock is definitely loosing air?

David if thats his problem its definitely an option.Mine had 3 Progressive 416s when I got and came apart so I did exactly that.I found both stock rears for like 30 bucks.I still have the stock coilover put up and I have used it.The one in the middle of these aren't shocks at all but air cylinders with no damping capabilities at all.In all reality you could be creative if you wanted and not harm anything.In theory you could probably fab a top and bottom bracket and use a small air bag.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png