Made in ^%$##!

dawingrider

250+ Posts
Dec 4, 2014
Titus, AL
While installing fender bras, this made me sick to my stomach!

20210923_090507 (2).jpg

(EDIT: Don't know why the photo is inverted)

Attachments

• 20210923_090507.jpg
    20210923_090507.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 65
hard not to find anymore.

Back when i purchased my 2011 i removed the tires to send the wheels out to get chromed. The rear wheels were made in China.

I remember when Harley started putting parts on that were made in Japan. In the 70's it bothered everyone except Harley. Well here we are Chinese parts. Again Harley doesn't care what the consumer thinks. As long as people buy their products they'll keep doing it.

Honestly I do not think you can find anything mechanical in the last 15-20 years that isn't built in the US with globally sourced parts. That way companies can still say "made in the USA" but keep the costs down.

I remember when Harley started putting parts on that were made in Japan. In the 70's it bothered everyone except Harley. Well here we are Chinese parts. Again Harley doesn't care what the consumer thinks. As long as people buy their products they'll keep doing it.

I've had more than a couple Harley owners boast that they only bought a Harley because it was still the only real MC still built in America. And I think to myself, righttttttt.

Honestly I do not think you can find anything mechanical in the last 15-20 years that isn't built in the US with globally sourced parts. That way companies can still say "made in the USA" but keep the costs down.

We go to great lengths to buy all our raw materials and components Made In The USA whenever possible.

Plates, of metal, billet, nuts, bolts, washers....as much as possible. And, yes, we pay more for them, but we do it for two reasons.

1. Most of the time they are better quality

(for instance, once we got steel plates that are used for laser cutting parts...we paid for USA steel, but it was was really flaking and did not cut well. We questioned the supplier, they had sent up Russian made steel instead of USA made. They said it was a mistake and swapped it out. Also, on bolts, we have seen too many foreign made "Grade 8" bolts not really be Grade 8)

2. We want to support our economy & the Citizens in the USA.

Even the CNC machines, air compressors, as well as many of the other tools we use for making parts, are Made in the USA.

To a great degree it is still possible, and there are still companies doing it.

HOWEVER, there are more and more parts & raw materials that are simply not made in the USA anymore.

In keeping with what rhino 2 mentioned, we do appreciate those that buy from us, even though it may cost more than the China knock-offs sometimes.

Kevin

I needed a replacement tail light lens for my panhead. I was heartbroken when I opened the box and the lens said "Made in Japan" on it.

I agree completely and do my best to not buy anything made in China. I have a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Trike and Bike. MADE IN OHIO and except for the drive train (made in Japan.) unfortunately during rebuilds, many of the Honda parts are now made in China or the Philippines.

As consumers, we can vote with our wallets. I don’t care if the US made stuff costs a buck or two more especially if it’s higher quality.

Another sad part is many of the goods we buy are made by foreign manufacturers, are packaged in the USA

I cannot understand this process :confused:

For many years I would only buy my tools American made, many sources turned to Chinese and other offshore manufacturers. A lot of those tools were sub standard and failed

Even ( the now defunct original Craftsman tools) were made in foreign countries

Socket sets and wrenches started showing up from of all places Brazil

Being the Devils Advocate.......You have to be careful buying just made in America...

Once the American companies figure they have a captured audience ....They will start turning out junk ....IE...American Cars from the 50's all they way till the 80's, Or in-till the VW..And Japanese cars gave them some competition....

Being the Devils Advocate.......You have to be careful buying just made in America...

Once the American companies figure they have a captured audience ....They will start turning out junk ....IE...American Cars from the 50's all they way till the 80's, Or in-till the VW..And Japanese cars gave them some competition....

Probably true but until then we could enjoy some quality merchandise.

I had a good friend that bought a Harley and he used to brag that his Harley was made in America.... and he used to rag on me, cause at the time I road a Suzuki (Jap bike/he used to call it)

I went to visit him, and help him work on his bike everytime, it needed wrenching... (seem'd like every other day)

I was using a wrench, to loosen up a bolt, when I noticed it was a 12 mm size (metric size) .............I busted out laughing, I said I thought that you had an American bike, then why am I using metric wrenches............From that day on, he never ragged on me again.......for riding a Jap bike....Soooooooooooooooo the moral of this story is that Harley is NOT ALL AMERCIAN MADE..

I still ride a Honda now..............

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png